Finished Pics! Mouradian style Bass

What's Hot
Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
edited February 2017 in Making & Modding
Hi

Yes - I know...another bass!  Sort of good news in a way - each time I finish a bass, I seem to get an enquiry for another and different one.  The only downside, because I only tackle one full project at a time, is that it has been AGES since I did a 6-string electric build.

After this one, a Mouradian-style 4 string bass, I've been asked to build a short scale (c 25") piccolo bass, so that will feel more like a 6 string at least

But this one is another unusual one.  It is in the style of the bass that Jim Mouradian built for Chris Squire of Yes:

The guy who's asked me to build it has actually built himself a couple on the past - including a double neck one!  Anyway, he wants a through neck one and had seen the recent EB-3 build so came my way.

The basic construction I've chosen is similar.

Through neck with wings, then top on top.  Here were the templates - slightly slimmer than the original:

Maple / rosewood/ maple neck was thicknessed, trued up and glued and then notched at a 2 degree neck angle to accept the mahogany top.  It is going to be solid colour painted (cream), so the mahogany mismatch isn't an issue:

With such a complex shape, it was too risky to cut out the wings until  the top fit was sorted, even though the wings will be glued first.  Once the top and neck were trial-fitted, I could trace the shape onto the back wings and cut those out:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• With the backs cut out, they could be glued to the neck, again using the top as the positional guide (and protected from the glue with cling-film:

In the meantime, I started sorting the fret markers on the excellent slotted rosewood fretboard supplied by David Dyke.  The owner wanted my logo swifts on the fretboard, but we agreed we didn't want it to go PRS bling-ish, so opted for twelfth fret only:

Before gluing the top, I routed out the lightening chambers (top and bottom) and cable runs.  I also cut a chamber for a Smooth Hound wireless Tx, with access for a normal cable if needed:

And then the top could be glued and the sanding could begin...and go on...and on... and on:

...and then, bringing things up to date, the corners were radiused:

Still loads to do - next job is neck and neck transition - but it's starting to look like a bass :)  
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    The shape is not my cup o tea, but it is superb to see something so different and another gallop through your skillset! Awesome!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    edited December 2016
    Nice i remember seeing this style bass on a Chris's starlicks VHS video and here is that video is on YT.

Skip to 20:50 time link isn't pasteing in

I also remember seeing nuno playing the washburn prototype of this guitar at the Freddie Mercury tribute gig in 92

Very cool to see a piccolo version being made,but id have loved to see it in a bright wacky color or maybe a pearl white

Very cool though

• Gizmo said:
    Nice i remember seeing this style bass on a Chris's starlicks VHS video and here is that video is on YT.

Skip to 20:50 time link isn't pasteing in

That clip is interesting, thanks for posting it @Gizmo ;...you get a better idea of the look of the thing than just from a still photograph.  Pity he didn't play it!

Been doing some work on the headstock.

I'm trying to give a passing nod the body shape with the carve on the headstock:

It's going to be painted cream, leaving the thru neck natural and the headstock plate will have a central matching cream stripe.

This is what the overall shape is starting to look like:

Next major job is carving the neck and volute

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loving this. Pickups? Those are big routs
  • Loving this. Pickups? Those are big routs
    Thanks :).  The bridge is a hot pickup (can't remember the make) that is in the style of a Music Man that the owner has sent to me, and the neck is a DiMarzio Model One.  Both of them physically massive!
    edited December 2016
    @Andyjr1515 ;what is the wipe on finish you use please?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulnb57 said:
    @Andyjr1515 ;what is the wipe on finish you use please?
    I'll find a link later on previous posts where I describe how I do the wipe-on finishing.

Although I have some issues with the recent reformulation of the product, I basically apply standard Ronseal Hardglaze, thinned with white spirits, wiped on with a micro-fibre cloth
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited December 2016
    paulnb57 said: @Andyjr1515 ;;what is the wipe on finish you use please?
    Hi again, @paulnb57 ;

This is a pretty comprehensive article on how I go about it - assuming projectguitar.com is accessible to non-subscribers.  Let me know if you are not able to get onto the link:
     http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/48429-wipe-on-polyurethane-varnish/

There is a wrinkle since I wrote this, maybe specifically for Ronseal - the formulation of Ronseal Hardglaze has been changed recently to lower the volatiles.  It is still a good varnish but I've found that you can't thin it quite to the levels I quote in the article without experiencing parting lines in the flow.  Next one (in fact probably this one) I'm going to try the Rustins clear polyurethane and see if that fares any better. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Andyjr1515 today I bought a tin of oil based varnish which I have thinned about 50%, which I have started to finish a Mahogany Tele body stained Cherry, so far so good, one coat only which has soaked in and gone dull as expected, but so easy to apply......I've  read about this type of finish for ages and don't know why I left it so long to try it......

• Bit more progress on this.

The main length of the neck was shaped with a little bit of spokeshave, a fine micro-plane blade out of its handle (but with gloves!) but mainly cabinet scraper  

Note also the template, taken from the prospective owner's favourite-felling bass using a profile gauge.  That way, the bass will at least feel familiar to him:

Then, creeping up on the volute with every tool in the workshop!

Still have the neck to body join to shape, bit in the meantime fitted the tuners and positioned the templates for my logo 'swifts':

Then, after cutting out a trio of Mother of Pearl swifts, routed out the shapes with a dremel and precision router base:

...and done, here dry-fitted ready for gluing with epoxy mixed with some rosewood sanding dust:

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Your work looking great as always Andy, really like that stripey neck.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    You'll have all sorts of EXTREME fans BADGERing you to build them one of those, OP! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    Wow. Great stuff Andy, great quality pics too.
  • Thanks, folks  :)
  • DLM said:
    You'll have all sorts of EXTREME fans BADGERing you to build them one of those, OP! :)
    Yes.....mmmmmm    ;)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Quite a bit more progress on this.
    Control chamber routed and cover created from some of the neck offcut:

Fretboard shaped, fitted and fretted and pickup chambers cut (forstner and chisel):

Luminlay side dots added:

Painting started.  The owner wants cream solid for the top and sides and for the mahogany wings at the back.  The through neck will be left unpainted from tip to toe:

Second colour coat, in spite of the first coat being cured for the recommended time, orange-peeled like crazy.  Don't you just love products that aren't compatible with themselves!  ;)

Anyway, it might be recoverable and, if not, I'll just sand it off and use something else.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    Looking forward to seeing this finished Andy. Amazing stuff.
    More awesomness! Great stuff!

• That's looking nice - I like the wiggly end of the fretboard, nice touch :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom