1956 Gibson EB-1 Bass

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2607
in Bass tFB Trader

How cool is that..  Not seen one of those before...  Love the way it turns into an upright bass (not sure about the painted on F hole though :) )

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    A friend of mine has the 1969 'reissue' of this. It's an amazingly different thing from any normal bass other than the Hofner Violin, which was essentially a (visual - the original is solid and the Hofner is hollow) copy of it. It feels crude and old-fashioned compared to a Fender, even a short-scale one like a Mustang - and sounds absolutely monstrous, thanks to the enormous pickup right up by the fingerboard.

Felix Pappalardi used one - original I think - in Mountain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very cool video - but it always gives me the heebie-jeebies watching this guy playing these amazing vintage instruments with his leather jacket zip rubbing on the back; wish he'd take the fucking thing off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    It's in beautiful condition. I've lusted over these for years, I doubt I'll ever get to play or own one though. Pappalardi was my intro to them, the growling sustain he got from his on Nantucket Sleighride was such a beautiful sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    There's giant sea creatures turning round wondering who is calling when he plays the bottom 'e' on that.. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom