Larrivee vs Martin

What's Hot

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited December 2016
    My house is usually 50 ish though can get too low in winter and creep up towards 60 in summer. My last flat used to get up to 70%+ because the flat had a slight damp problem. I ran a mains dehumidifier while I was there, though that was a temporary and costly fix.

Do you have adequate ventilation and heating in the room in question @thomasross20 ? I'm guessing it's a modern Livi residence so should not be damp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I hope there hasn't been any sort of damage to my guitars. The bridge plate screws have definitely lost their shine but I think that's normal after a few years. 

Thanks, guys - will see how it changes with the noddy dehumidifier in the room.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4151
    edited December 2016
    OK, to note - all the guitars are on their cases all the time.
    Which is ok as long as the humidity inside there isn't 64-70% too....stick your hygro inside a case for a while and see what it reads.
  • Crikey, it's a large device... I could maybe shove it in the side pocket of the PRS case as a test. 
    I'll do that, actually. 
    Little worried now!
    Crikey, it's a large device... I could maybe shove it in the side pocket of the PRS case as a test. 
    I'll do that, actually. 
    Little worried now!
    Sorry - I thought you had a little hygrometer. Must have imagined I read that!
  • Maybe I'll buy a little one. 
    Is there a decent dehumidifier you guys might recommend? 
    I use a little Caliber III. Inexpensive and accurate enough for my purposes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey that's pretty cool! :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Don't bother - if the room humidity is constant at 64-70% then the inside of the cases will be too, after a matter of hours at most. They aren't airtight, or even close to it for PRS cases.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM what's the worst that can happen to the electrics? 
    I've got a noddy dehumidifier in the room now but I've not got big hopes. 
    @ICBM what's the worst that can happen to the electrics?
    Not much, other than rusty strings, hardware and frets. The necks might move a bit, but you should be able to fix that with the truss rods. In really extreme cases you can get finish cracking, but I doubt PRS finishes are thick and hard enough for that to happen - it mainly affects things with super-hard polyester.

In my experience/opinion excess humidity can also make guitars - including electrics - sound dull too, but I'm not sure how quantifiable that is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Well, the humidity has thus far dropped from 71 to 69 % but it's only been a little while. 
    The room is adjacent to the bathroom which can get quite moist! 
    Will give it some time and see if the number drops some more. 
    Well, the humidity has thus far dropped from 71 to 69 % but it's only been a little while. 
    The room is adjacent to the bathroom which can get quite moist!
    Do you have an extractor fan for the bathroom? If not, it would be a good idea to fit one, either a fast one which comes on with the lights and a time delay when they're turned off, or a slow one which runs continuously. The last thing you want is steam from the bathroom filling up the rest of the house.

• We do have an extractor, yeah :)

Another factor to consider is that the hygrometer itself is guff. 
    I left it near a hot running tap for 30s and it went from 68% to 76% (with a lag). I need to figure out how to calibrate it.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited December 2016
    ICBM said:
    Don't bother - if the room humidity is constant at 64-70% then the inside of the cases will be too, after a matter of hours at most. They aren't airtight, or even close to it for PRS cases.
    Spot on - the case may prevent rapid changes but it is not hermetically sealed.

Two things tend to happen to guitars which are too wet 1) The top bellies more than it is supposed to, which will raise the action. 2) They tend to sound 'dead'.

It might be worth considering a proper dehumidifier.
  • Recommendations for a proper one (one that can regulate?) much appreciated! I'll look later when I get back.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11869
    70% is a very high  humidity level inside a house
    tell me more about the room
    is it a loft-room?
    Does it go through cycles of cold and heat during the day?
    Upstairs?
    Any damp walls?

If it's been that humid when it's been frosty outside, and the heating's on, I'd say you might have penetrating damp, I can't see  the odd blast from a bathroom  keeping the RH that high

Do you dry clothes in or near it?
  • Well I don't know about that room but we had somebody check our kitchen not long back and that was fine. 
    Might be a dodgy hygrometer - I might buy another or calibrate first.
    It's just a normal room, heating on twice a day. Radiator at the other side.
    Hygrometer and guitars are beside the window which does get a touch of condensation.
    No damp to speak of.  

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11869
    where have you located the hygrometer?
    put it in a similar place to the guitars

e.g. mine hang on the wall, so I put one on a book shelf  at the same height on an inner wall, and one on a desk  3 feet off the ground near the guitars hanging on the outer wall

If you put the meter near the floor or ceiling, or a windowsill or  hang it on the wall, you won't get an accurate reading
  • It's right beside the guitars, which are right next to the window :)