Metallica "Easy" Guitar book

What's Hot
LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
edited December 2016 in Theory
I was given the Metallica (black album) Easy Guitar book for Christmas. A sticker on the front cover says "With Tablature" Except the not all the music is in Tab, I'd say 40 to 50% of the songs show proper music. For example the Verses of Sad but true do not show any tab at all. Bit disappointed really as I can't read music, and don't want to arse about learning to either. 
Has anyone else got this book and discovered the same? Am I missing or not understanding something?

Can anyone help me work out what the bit circled means please? Have to tune down a whole step so the 6th string is a D which is confusing me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    That circled 6 isn't part of standard notation as far as I'm aware.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • So is it an E chord? I cant work it out as the whole thing is down a tone.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited January 2017
    The musical score is not the guitar part, it's actually the vocal melody. The chords above the score are guitar chords but they have no relation to how the riffs and rhythms are actually played on the guitar neck. Just a general indication of the chord to play over the vocals, if you were strumming along on an acoustic for example (not that anyone would do that to a Metallica song!)

Pretty useless if you ask me. A decent YouTube tutorial would be a lot more useful for learning the songs.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I had a look at a tab online and it looks like it has chords shown for standard tuning so the E is actually a D.  the D is a C and the Bb is Ab.

Is there a key (no pun intended) at the back of the book?
  • Thanks. I've checked the book twice, no mention of the chord shapes being in a different key / tuning.

Theres a very basic list of definitions for guitar notation on the first page, but that's it.

Crap book, unfortunately.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    It's pretty common to list the chords in lower tuning as the same chords you'd play in in standard tuning, because it's the chord shape that matters, not the tonality. It would be rather confusing if you had to play all your chords differently for each drop tuning!
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited December 2016
    Yeah i guess so, shame they didnt make that clear. 

• Sad But True, whole guitar is tuned down a whole step. Do open 6 string is a D.
    I have the full tab book, so know its right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, I would read that as play the open 6th string. The old Cherry Lane books quite often had slash notation above the staff for simple riffs (chord name, rhythm etc.) and they would notate single strings like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a riff based song - are you sure it doesn't have each riff laballed as such (example, at the top it says, '3rd time substitute rhythm fill 1')? I have a few tab books and most metal/rock books are notated like this as it's far shorter and easier to do.  You wouldn't want to fully tab out Master of Puppets for example as it'd take a whole book, especially as they're is only 6 or 7 riffs or so. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Caffeined said:
    Sad But True, whole guitar is tuned down a whole step. Do open 6 string is a D.
    I have the full tab book, so know its what's written.....
    Fixed.
    The full tab this books aren't always right...
    In this case it is, but not always.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    That book looks useless.  Why they would specifically indicate playing the 6th string open for an E, when that's what you'd do naturally anyway, escapes me.  Chord notation for riff-based music is pointless.  Get a better one, or as suggested, use YouTube, there's bound to be a tutorial on there somewhere.
  • I've concluded it's a shit book. Given up with it, was only a shade over a £tenner so big issue. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I've concluded it's a shit book. Given up with it, was only a shade over a £tenner so big issue. 

There's a Metallica play-along book which comes with 2 CD's of backing tracks. That's what I have, and use.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Yes I would read it as open  low e.  A lot of these books usually have some very basic single line tabs or double stop riffs. You would be better on YouTube , Marty Schwartz has done a good enter sandman on there and I'm sure there will be others some even with accompanying tabs. Seek and destroy is a good Metallica one it has some nice riffs that are very accessible . Good luck