Electronic Drum Kits

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
edited January 2017 in Other Instruments
A few years ago I had a Roland TD3 and got to the point were I could knock out a few basic rhythms.

I lost interest/had kids and sold it to a family friend. 

I have the urge to play again but no real space to do so. However I've seen this:

http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/roland-td4kp-vdrums-portable-kit-package-with-bag.ir

It looks decent and the folding aspect and bag means I can put it away when not being used or  fold it and shove it in a corner with a smaller footprint.

Has anyone played one? Apart from the lack of mesh snare I reckon it would be as good, if not better than the TD3 as 10 years have passed technology wise.

Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'd look at one of the better kits- the TD11 and above.
    I'd also look at buying used.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    I bought the TD3 used and it was a good buy - this is all about portability though. There isn't one room here where I could keep it up (steady).
    Iamnobody said:
    I bought the TD3 used and it was a good buy - this is all about portability though. There isn't one room here where I could keep it up (steady).
    In that case go for it. 
    edited January 2017
    I'm tempted - that one comes with the bag, throne and pedal for not much more than a lot of retailers are asking for the basic kit.

Space issues aside - a better quality kit might be wasted on me in terms of how much use it is likely to get - and my ability!
    Checked Gear 4 Music?
    They are usually the cheapest- consider giving them a call and asking them to beat the Bonners pack.
  • Do it Steve! I have a set of TD9's and love em'....... when the kids arrived I put up a shed, ran some power into it, put the drums inside with a bit of carpet and a lock on the inside of the door. Happy days.

IMO the mesh heads are more playable and responsive, but obviously the advantage of the kit you've chosen is it folds up....

Is there a probability of you selling the td4 and buying a mesh kit in the future? If so might as well go all in straight off the bat. Will you play the td4 or are you more likely to play a mesh kit? I mean might as well just go for ......

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/images/products/gallery/td-20sx_stage_1_gal.jpg

octatonic said:
    Checked Gear 4 Music?
    They are usually the cheapest- consider giving them a call and asking them to beat the Bonners pack.
    Yeah they are quite a bit more expensive. £650 for the barebones and bag. Mind you if and when it comes to purchase time I can ring round for deals...

http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Roland-TD-4KP-V-Drums-Portable-Electronic-Drum-Kit-and-Carry-Case/QQ2
    edited January 2017
    Do it Steve! I have a set of TD9's and love em'....... when the kids arrived I put up a shed, ran some power into it, put the drums inside with a bit of carpet and a lock on the inside of the door. Happy days.

IMO the mesh heads are more playable and responsive, but obviously the advantage of the kit you've chosen is it folds up....

Is there a probability of you selling the td4 and buying a mesh kit in the future? If so might as well go all in straight off the bat. Will you play the td4 or are you more likely to play a mesh kit? I mean might as well just go for ......

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/images/products/gallery/td-20sx_stage_1_gal.jpg

I don't think I would be likely to go full mesh in the future - you can upgrade the snare - Thomann offer it but it adds a lot into the price.

The fold up kit could just be rolled out as I need it - put in the kitchen while I play and then packed up for next time. That's the theory - I might be too lazy to even get it out!
    I've just lost the will to live watching the take down video!

It it should have all been quick release...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I wouldn't want to be building and taking the kit down every time I used it but if needs must...
    edited January 2017
    octatonic said:
    I wouldn't want to be building and taking the kit down every time I used it but if needs must...
    My thoughts as well.

Besides I've had a couple of hours on my own being bored/thinking too much this afternoon.

Now the Mrs and kids are home and the house has quickly descended into chaos I'm not sure it's such a good idea!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I can't recommend the two box kit highly enough
    I much prefer it to the Rolands
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    My 8 year old son just started taking drumming lessons. If he really takes it seriously I might buy him an e-kit. I live in an apartment and therefore noise is a concern. Would mesh heads be less noisy?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I picked up a Roland TD-1KV a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it. The mesh snare is superb and is a a far better option than the standard rubberised pad for honing your drum rudiments. Nine small footprint so it robs very little space in my man-cave.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    Thanks @equalsql ;
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    TBH in an apartment the mesh heads would be fine, but I'd look at making an isolation pad (youtube them, tennis balls!) because even the beaterless pedals on the Roland make quite a bit of noise in the space below.
    Well they do in our house anyway!
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that kids and V-drums are not compatible.  I recently picked up a used TD 11 with upgraded mesh pads, and when I get home from work these days my 6-year old is normally on it, bashing out some surprisingly good beats.  He then makes me put on his Beatles Spotify playlist, and will be happy being Ringo for an hour or so whilst his toddler sister dances and sings along.

Buy the kit and leave it where the kids can have a go - they'll love it!

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol, that's lovely. My son is very enthusiastic as well. I'll wait a few more weeks and if he's still keen I'll get him a kit as well. Roland seems to be the better choice although i've seen some alesis kits which look more "pro" but may not sound or feel as good.
    ____
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Agreed about kids and V Drums, I picked up a 2nd hand HD-1 kit just to see how the kids would like it. I had to refurb the kick pedals (new rubbers, sensors and a lick of paint) and it's like new.
    The kids (10, 8 and 4) quite happily take themselves to the back bedroom and start bashing away, no sense of time yet but I've shown them the basic stuff and they're quite happy practising that.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • I have a Yamaha DTX450K, absolutely astonished how good it is for the money, not as compact as  the Roland 1 series I had but miles better quality and real drum kicker too, not as good to play as the Alesis DM10 Studio I had but loads smaller so its a good compromise..

and the iOS apps integration is superb.

very VERY impressed