new bass strings...but the E buzzes no matter what i do..?

siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
Weird, I've tried another string off another bass - took it off and put it on and its fine, swap the new string back on...and it buzzes. Even tried this buzzy string on the bass from which I borrowed a string - and on that it buzzes. I've never seen this before but its definitely the string....so just orderd a set of Rotobass strings off ebay and hope they are ok.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is this through an amp or just acoustically?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Could just be a dodgy string. Last set of rotosounds I bought had a kink in the E string so it would rattle no matter what. The shop ended up giving a refund as it was so obviously faulty.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited January 2017
    Is this through an amp or just acoustically?

Both....I'm hoping it was just a freaky one off duff string as mart said...I've never seen or heard of this before. That said I'd not changed strings on this bass in years..like since I got it :lol:
  • Could it just be a heavier gauge?
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Weird question. Is this buzzing when you play in your bedroom only? Or similar room?

I ask because I had a similar problem with my guitar years ago and found what was buzzing was actually the radiator on the wall, I'd hit the resonant frequency of the radiator. I had my guitar set up and everything and couldn't get rid of the buzzing. By chance one day I was leaning on the radiator when playing and felt it.

Worth ruling out if nothing else.

I recently sold this bass - it was nothing wrong with the bass itself it was a dodgy E string. I've never encountered this weirdness before. I took said dodgy string off and tried it on my new bass and it did exactly the same thing - buzzed on open and every single fret up. New string on it and it was fine.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    That's strange. Normally the Bee string buzzes?
    tFB Trader
    siraxeman said:

I recently sold this bass - it was nothing wrong with the bass itself it was a dodgy E string. I've never encountered this weirdness before. I took said dodgy string off and tried it on my new bass and it did exactly the same thing - buzzed on open and every single fret up. New string on it and it was fine.

How bizarre. Do you know what brand it was? Was it a D'Addario?

I can't recall - some cheapo set I got off ebay for about £10...wasn't a 'brand' name. All the other 3 strings were absolutely fine though...just something weird going on with the E string. Never seen or heard of this before and hopefully won't come across it again....

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    That'll be it then. ^^ Cheap strings = problems.
    tFB Trader
    siraxeman said:

I can't recall - some cheapo set I got off ebay for about £10...wasn't a 'brand' name. All the other 3 strings were absolutely fine though...just something weird going on with the E string. Never seen or heard of this before and hopefully won't come across it again....

How bizarre. Thanks for the info.