New bandmate dilemma...opinions sought

What's Hot
vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
After two years together, our singer has left  (on good terms) and we have auditioned and offered the position to her replacement. The new singer is absolutely terrific with great feel and we're all confident that she can deliver. However there's an issue I have never encountered before and I wondered on your opinions.

The drummer,  bass player and I are all middle aged (45-50). The drummer and bass player are a married couple and drive together with their gear in a completely full van and I  drive separately and  we meet at rehearsal/gigs.  However, our new singer is just 19 years old and is a full time student in her first year. The problem isn't a generation gap, it's more that I have some significant concerns about her transport situation post-gig.

We're based in Manchester and a lot of the gigs are around the outside of the city. This isn't like London where the public transport is good. You really need to be able to drive to get to and from these places. As a young female, having to get back to the city centre from the outskirts  of the city after midnight, I am going to worry  about her. 

I talked to my wife and said that I could drive her back to her university accomodation after gigs but  my wife immediately said she'd rather I didn't. It's not that she's worried about  me running off with the new singer. We've been married 23 years and  I think we're past thinking that one of us might run off with someone else! It's more that having a young woman in the car, late at night, might open me to accusations that would cause me some major problems, should that ever happen. Again, I can't see it, but  I suppose the potential is there for a life-ruining situation.

I'm more guilty of thinking like a dad than a bloke. My own kids are her age and also at university and  I'd want my own daughter to be  able to get home safely, but I also don't want to  leave myself open to  any  situation that might cause me a problem. I've done  Safeguarding courses when I was a junior rugby coach and I'm inclined to treat the situation in the same way (i.e. always have someone else in the car at the same time, never be alone with her etc).

Thoughts from you guys?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited January 2017
    I talked to my wife and said that I could drive her back to her university accomodation after gigs but  my wife immediately said she'd rather I didn't. It's not that she's worried about  me running off with the new singer. We've been married 23 years and  I think we're past thinking that one of us might run off with someone else! It's more that having a young woman in the car, late at night, might open me to accusations that would cause me some major problems, should that ever happen. Again, I can't see it, but  I suppose the potential is there for a life-ruining situation.

I'm more guilty of thinking like a dad than a bloke. My own kids are her age and also at university and  I'd want my own daughter to be  able to get home safely, but I also don't want to  leave myself open to  any  situation that might cause me a problem. I've done  Safeguarding courses when I was a junior rugby coach and I'm inclined to treat the situation in the same way (i.e. always have someone else in the car at the same time, never be alone with her etc).

Thoughts from you guys?
    Honestly, I can't think of any problem at all with driving your singer back to her accommodation.
    I've just posed this question to Mrs Oct and she said it wouldn't be a problem at all.
    Her exact words were 'don't be ridiculous, of course you should drive her home'.

It is 2017, not 1917- there is no issue with two adults being in a car together, one driving the other one home.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    My thoughts are that I agree with your wife. Maybe one of her friends could tag along, misunderstandings are less likely but could still lead to a sticky situation where the friend backs up the singer's version of "events".
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    edited January 2017
    think your wife is overreacting a bit but if the singer can have a friend along then great or make sure someone else is in the car with you
  • I don't see the issue unless you don't trust the singer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    The drummer and bass player need to buy a bigger van with crew seats! =)

I don't see a problem with giving your fellow adult band member a lift home. I'm pretty sure my wife would think anything else would be ridiculous, but different people see risk in different situations I suppose.
    One solution would be to set up an account with a taxi firm or driver that you trust and book a taxi for her after every gig. Paid on account afterwards so no cash has to change hands and it takes her back to her residence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited January 2017
    I don't get the paranoia- what do people actually think is going to happen?
    You are doing her a favour by dropping her off, why does that suddenly get scary for the driver- is she going to accuse you of assaulting her or something?
    Why?

I've never given it a moment's thought about being alone with a female adult.
    If she was 12 then yeah perhaps you need to think about the way it is perceived- but 19?
    Not a second thought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26746
    I'm with @octatonic 100%. Do people really think like that in the real world? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I don't get the paranoia- what do people actually think is going to happen?
    You are doing her a favour by dropping her off, why does that suddenly get scary for the driver- is she going to accuse you of assaulting her or something?
    Why?

I've never given it a moments thought about being alone with a female adult.
    If she was 12 then yeah perhaps you need to think about the way it is perceived- but 19?
    Not a second thought.
    Absolutely 100% this. 

Both me and my g/f have given lifts to members of the opposite sex after gigs. Neither has ever questioned each other. I see it more as a pain in the arse dropping people off at 1am than a potentially bad situation. These people are my friends at the end of the day (just ones I wish would buy a car..)

The only time I'd consider not giving a lift would be if I didn't trust the person - those people haven't ever been my bandmates anyway.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253

You should probably initiate a conversation with her explaining you understand she doesn't drive and ask what arrangements she had in mind out of personal concern but also the functioning of the band. I suspect a 19 year old young woman will have given this some thought. 

I cant see a problem with you giving her a lift ( the extra time added to getting home and the petrol would be more my wife's issues). Just try to avoid watching the gummy de milo episode of the Simpsons in your household for the next few months...

https://bobblepic.com/images/2017/01/06/IMG_0996.png
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    By the time you're gigging, if she's good at what she does and comes up with the Musical goods, then I'm sure you'll have developed a good working relationship with her. She's a colleague and probably will want to remain on good professional and friendly terms with everyone. 

As has been posted above, this is the 21st Century. If you take a female friend of hers with you to and from gigs then what about the "Rita, Sue and Bob too" scenario? C'mon, it's clearly better for everyone if you just pitch in and drop her home, even if it means a later night for you. 

My wife would be totally happy with me doing that, in fact she's totally happy with me having close female friends and going to the cinema, out for a meal/drink/gig with any of them. I have had a few young students, and my wife is also happy with me teaching them at home when she's out or away working. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    She might not even fancy you.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    DiscoStu said:
    Ridiculous. What 19 year old woman wouldn't fancy a middle aged, married pub-rocker?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Ridiculous. What 19 year old woman wouldn't fancy a middle aged, married pub-rocker?
    With his own car?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Schwing!

Slightly more seriously, I'd have thought that as a 19 year old woman she was pretty capable of travelling around the city in which she lives. Might be worth checking, and if she's stuck then I don't see an issue with giving her a lift home.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Sporky said:
    DiscoStu said:
    That's very much the thought process that's kept me playing the guitar. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you actually discussed this with your new singer? Is this a problem she has posed to you?

If you haven't, you're at the risk of patronising a capable young person. If she's at Uni in Manchester then she'll know the ropes by now as far as how to get around the town - I'd think it would be perfectly appropriate for her to figure out the closest bus route that you could drop her off at.

If of course the bus routes aren't an option, I'd agree with the taxi on account idea; budget for it when charging for gigs. Have a band bank account or Paypal account to deal with it.

Assuming she's intending on learning how to drive I doubt this will be a problem for long.

But yeah, I'd maybe discuss it with her/the band first and foremost - no offence intended, but if you've discussed it with your wife and a number of strangers on a forum before actually talking to your singer about the issue, you're doing her a disservice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Alas this kind of thing is a common occurrence the female singer in the band I just left said that she had been cornered by the wife of the ugly 50 something guitarist in one of her bands and had some kind of "I know you are trying to steal my husband you fucking bitch" rant. When she was in her early 20s and married to a fighter pilot.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    This thread is mental. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Talking from experience, kindness can often be misinterpreted. I don't doubt your character @vasselmeyer and would probably offer a lift myself if I was in your position cos that's what good guys do but just be aware that although a woman, at 19 she is still young and possibly naive.
    I'm in my 40s. I was at a party a few years ago and there was a 19 year old art student there who I barely spoke to the whole evening. When she was leaving she realised she didn't have enough money for her taxi home to a nearby town, I didn't want her stranded/walking home so I gave her money for a taxi. Boom- instant crush on her part. She got a hold of my number and it took me several weeks and a rather blunt message to get her to stop contacting me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom