Developing delicious, lyrical vibrato.

What's Hot
it seems to me that the best players have really expressive vibrato, and I really want to focus on developing mine in this direction.

can anyone point me in the direction of some good exercises or techniques they used to develop their vibrato?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30881
    Listen to Kossoff, May, Gilmour, Bonamassa.

Repeat to fade.

A good trick is to think of the finger vibe as rubbing a spot off the neck of the guitar with your finger in a circular motion.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

And, if you use a trem equipped guitar, learn to bend and apply vibrato on the bend and peak, and use the trem bar to add more as you release the bend down. It's a very neat trick.

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    @Gassage thanks man, I'm already trying to emulate guys with touch that I love, including some that you mention. The old fashioned way - playing along until I cant hear the difference. 

by the way, each time I see your sig it makes me chuckle.. every time! killer.
  • Also consider guitar setup, it is much easier to control vibrato if the string tension is moderate to low-ish. When it is higher strength becomes a factor and that will make controlling it more difficult.
    edited January 2017
    @Gassage thanks man, I'm already trying to emulate guys with touch that I love, including some that you mention. The old fashioned way - playing along until I cant hear the difference. 

by the way, each time I see your sig it makes me chuckle.. every time! killer.
    @mburekenge EDITED- wrong video.
    Watch this for inspiration.

Basically Satch takes the first part of the solo, utterly technically kills it, slam dunk.
    Vai takes second- restrained and wonderfully tasteful (for him).
    Brian May takes the part of last solo- blows both into the ocean by a huge distance.... with feel and phrasing.

(memorable also for the backing singer oversinging in a masterful way.)

• RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    @Gassage  still no video
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Take a look at the videos posted in this old thread, there is some good stuff there, HTH  :)

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/9453/bends-and-vibrato-how-do-you-do-them#latest

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    @ChrisMusic thanks a lot. :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited January 2017
    The best way to develop good vibrato in my opinion is firstly to know how you want it to sound, and why you want it to sound like that. Generic warble applied irrespective of context can be pretty revolting.

The best way to make sure your vibrato is applied judiciously is literally to sing what you want to hear, or at the very least have it in your mind's ear. But singing is the best, because it is most likely to be the most natural and give the best effect.

For example, holding a long note steady then warming it at the end with a slow, controlled, restrained vibrato gives a beautiful effect, but is quite difficult for guitarists to develop from scratch without knowing the sound beforehand.

Once you know exactly what you want to hear, and if you can listen carefully to the sound your guitar is making, you should be able to close the gap. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    +1 ^^^

I also practiced note values with vibrato- quarter notes, triplets, half notes, whole notes- you'll never need more note values than that.