NGD - Fender Tele. Not too impressed so far....

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 960
Took advantage of the deals on Hickies website posted here. Looks stunning. The bridge pins seem pretty much fully extended and there is chocking up past the 12th fret. I've tried tweaking but can't get a decent action without choking. Whilst changing the strings, I popped the neck off carefully and there is a shim in there....is that normal from the factory???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    edited January 2017
    If you can't get a decent action with the bridge fully adjusted then I'd suspect the truss rod could be in need of a tweak.

My understanding is that it is unusual, but not unheard of, for a Tele to be shimmed.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    its not unusual for it to be shimmed, and most are better for it.  but if the saddles are at the maximum height take it out and try without.

shims are not evil, but they are also not the full set-up picture so don't forget about all the other variables
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    Lots of guitar factories shim their necks yes, there's not really a definitive answer for yes & no. Some need it others don't.
    Remove the shim and the saddles will drop down, then try flattening off the rod and that may cure your choking issues, unless there's a few dodgy frets.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Cheers guys. I'll try that tomorrow and let you know w how it goes.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    What's the serial number? 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

MattFGBI said:
    MX11208099
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Presumably that's a 2011 guitar from the serial no. Where has it been for the last five and a bit years?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited January 2017
    Just wanna say that I grabbed one from the Hickies deal - a MIM standard. I didn't need it to be too amazing as I need it for a usually non guitar related work thing so it was supposed to be my "don't care if it gets too beat up" guitar......gotta say I am massively impressed with it, plays and sounds great. 

Mine seems to be a 2013 judging by the serial number. It was so cheap I don't care too much but if I'd have bought this at the £500 new price I'd be pissed it wasn't a 2016. 

I guess it's not unusual for small stores to have stock for a number of years
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    Fender don't really do the model year thing Gibson seem intent on creating
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    I honestly don't remember any standard Tele I've ever set up which needed a shim, although admittedly I do think they're better with a straight neck and a higher action usually. I would definitely take it out and see where you are with the saddle heights.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Parker said:
    MattFGBI said:
    MX11208099
    OK, 2011. So it might have been on the wall a while. Still covered by the warranty so if you can't get it sorted send it back and we can pick it up and take a look. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks matey. I'll take the shim out and see.
    Shin removed and have got it set up perfectly after some tweaks with the bridge and trussrod. Taking to band practise tonight so fingers crossed it ticks all the boxes! 

Thanks in particular to Matt at Fender for offering assistance.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I should add that I'm a little mortified that Hickies hadn't checked it before dispatch - even the largest of box shifters usually check the guitar before it leaves the store. If I was a kid, it would have seemed a complete lemon and cost quite a bit to put right. No gigbag or hang tags either. Don't mind too much, but a more accurate description should really have been provided rather than just 'Sale'. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Glad to hear you got it sorted. Bit worrying that Fender or Hickies thought they'd set the guitar up correctly by sticking in an unnecessary shim which actually made the guitar worse :s
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Seems v unlikely that Fender would unnecessarily install a shim. A more likely scenario is a previous buyer tried to fix a perceived fault and installed it themselves, couldn't fix the problem and so returned it.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Parker said:
    Shin removed and have got it set up perfectly after some tweaks with the bridge and trussrod. Taking to band practise tonight so fingers crossed it ticks all the boxes! 

Matt's exceptionally helpful - he's a credit to Fender.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • SyncSync Frets: 288
    Parker said:
    I should add that I'm a little mortified that Hickies hadn't checked it before dispatch - even the largest of box shifters usually check the guitar before it leaves the store. If I was a kid, it would have seemed a complete lemon and cost quite a bit to put right. No gigbag or hang tags either. Don't mind too much, but a more accurate description should really have been provided rather than just 'Sale'. 
    So it was used, 6 years old and without the accessories? Weren't these sold as new but in the sale?

Doesn't sound like a great deal, I would return it or at least get something back. How much was it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    FYI mine came with hang tags. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Parker said:

Matt's exceptionally helpful - he's a credit to Fender.
    This.

For what it's worth i've bought more new Fenders over the years than used ones and i've never had one with a shim installed. The neck angle and overall construction of the guitar has always been great.

I've never asked Matt for help but it's better than good knowing i can ask someone directly like that.