New Gibsons ?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
Seen at CES

prototypes apparently.

Not super original but I quite like them.
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Not bad looking. I think a firebird headstock would of looked cool instead of the typical headstock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    TimmyO said:
    Seen at CES

prototypes apparently.

Look a bit like a prs custom......quite nice too 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    These look quite nice. I'm surprised 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    My first reaction was a Fender Esprit vibe.

If they are sensibly priced (between a SG and a LP ?) they may work well 
    Red ones are better. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Looks like gibson wants it market share back from PRS. Not bad looking, i'll be interested to see how Gibson evolve the playing experience on their instruments, compared to a lot of newer companies, Gibsons do tend to feel old fashioned.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    Shame they won't innovate with the neck and headstock angle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    They look a bit like the Tak Matsumoto signature, with a less idiosyncratic control layout.  There's even a hint of the old MIII with that continuous line through the cutaways either side of the neck.

I'm not crazy about the impossible-to-reach 24th fret though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PRS are looking more like Gibson with 594... And Gibson are looking more like PRS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    It looks like it's halfway between a Custom 24 and a Mira. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I like it a lot, but agree, this would have been the time to "fix" the headstock design/angle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Philly_Q said:
    They look a bit like the Tak Matsumoto signature, with a less idiosyncratic control layout.  There's even a hint of the old MIII with that continuous line through the cutaways either side of the neck.

I'm not crazy about the impossible-to-reach 24th fret though.

I've wanted one of those for a few years now but have never been brave enough to order one from Ishibashi.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Not for me, I'm a traditionalist but I think that is a really nice design and miles better than most newish designs around.

Priced right they could be a seller.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Adam_MD said:

I've wanted one of those for a few years now but have never been brave enough to order one from Ishibashi.
    Maybe get the much less pricey Epiphone version to see if you like the design in practice?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Bleh.

Bland bordering on horrid.

Also looks too much like this, but without the materials innovation...

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/image/guitar/git_gold.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26752
    They look like something Aria would make when trying not to infringe on anyone else's designs 

:(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Incredibly incredibly dull 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    They look like something Aria would make when trying not to infringe on anyone else's designs 
    Except that most of those Arias are actually quite stylish :). And have a certain 'family resemblance' usually. I'm probably biased because I own one of their 80s 'skinny Strat' models, but I've always quite liked them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• TimmyO said:
    Seen at CES

prototypes apparently.

Coming soon to Amazon Warehouse at 75% off....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14032
    tFB Trader
    it is an interesting thought - Gibson tend to achieve better results when they stick to traditional models - There is an abundance of sales flops from the 50's onwards with Gibson and remember the LP 'Standard' flopped until Eric and Mike played one a few years later - But my point is that if Paul Reed Smith had have designed the Custom 24 as a Gibson employee, or indeed sold the intellectual property right to Gibson, in which case it would be a Gibson Custom 24 then I think it is fair to say it would have flopped

Also remember with these new 'supa dupa' Gibson Guitars that it will be part of the dealer program that the appropriate dealers will have to buy a selection - So Gibson get their sales regardless and with that in mind say 1000 guitars built at £1000 a piece (conserative trade value) then 1 million pounds in the bank - If they don't sell (sorry should have said when they don't sell) then with a 50% plus saving they will all be snapped up
    The have done some good new models though - usually the ones that cleverly blend tradition with innovation, like the ES336/339, and the 275. Or ones that offer classic designs but in a more stripped-down modern form like the Explorer Studio or whatever it was called.

It's just that every now and again they release something which looks like it's trying really hard to alienate as many Gibson fans as possible.

To be fair, nothing will ever trump the Firebird X though.