Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you cope with pre-gig nerves?

What's Hot

Comments

• Cabicular said:
    I don't really relax until I've turned my guitar up and did a @whacka whacka@ noise. 
    https://mediumlarge.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/original-01.jpeg

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What's the worst that can happen @DiscoStu ? It ain't brain surgery ;)

On a constructive note, prep like fuck and get a banana...to eat (not to replace the imodium).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    What's the worst that can happen @DiscoStu ? It ain't brain surgery ;)
    True dat! A few things went wrong in my personal life since the op which has knocked me. I keep trying though but just wish I could get past the performance nerves. 
  • skaguitar said:
    Immodium is great for your mushy stomach and if you deal with that it's one less thing to worry about... how do you feel once you start playing...do the nerves go away..?.. if they do just try to remember that that is what happens when you're getting ready to go on...
    there's a good quote from Beethoven or someone like that ...

“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

Funny, but my playing generally gives everyone else the shits! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Most important thing to do when you make a mistake is laugh at it, roll eyes at audience etc, they will laugh WITH  you. 
    Getting all angry with yourself makes things worse, and audience laughs AT you. 
    Aye. And good to see nobody has laughed at our video either. 

<Opens floodgates>
  • Hahahahah
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited January 2017
    Nothing to be ashamed of there, @DiscoStu ;;

I listened to it without watching to avoid any visual clues and initially it sounded like any slight wobbles were from the main vocal. I did think the snare wasn't really syncing with your playing though. Overall though I'd say that's a good performance given the context.

Its live music, anything can happen
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Funnilly enough I've said before I don't drink, but every time I played, a pint of Guiness beforehand

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Thanks @Moe_Zambeek that's very generous of you. The drummer was playing the snare from underneath with his fingers to keep the level down which wasn't ideal. Needs must. 
  • I've had to take on a lead singist & between song banter within the last year. It was a quick learn-on-the-job scenario as our previous singer/frontman left. I'm generally quite shy and reserved at the best of times. Added to that, I suffer from nerves, generally in front of a smaller crowd oddly enough. I try to combat all of the above by running over songs I think I may stumble over on the guitar on the day of a gig, I sing lyrics to myself in the run-up to gigs too, in the car mainly! Turn up early to the venue to set up as well so you can make sure everything is good to go in plenty of time before gigs. Finally, if you can, work your setlist so you have a fairly simple song or two at the start of the night so you can ease yourself into the gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Two things.
    Be fully rehearsed. Amateurs practice till they get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong. That gives you confidence. On the same theme plan your logistics so you are busy in the run up but not stressed trying to get everything done last minute. 
    Watch your diet for triggers like dairy or gluten for a couple of days prior. Yeast in bread and ale can do it for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Can't believe that one of my all time favourite comments on here ( from a similar thread ) hasn't been mentioned.

Powerwank in a cubicle 5 minutes before you go on
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Go onstage with your dick hanging out of your trousers. 
    Nobody will notice if you make a mistake on guitar then.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited January 2017
    John Williams once asked me for a swig of vodka out of a bottle I was holding back stage, 10 seconds before walking out on stage. Needed it for his nerves he said. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I feel the fear then do it anyway. Works for me every time :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I am always fine with the giging, it's what I've trained to do. I've practiced, i know I will be basically ok performancewise. The bits I hate are phoning around trying to get gigs, and turning up at the venue for the first time. I have basically stopped playing solo gigs because I can't cope with those two bits.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    I used to gig as the sole guitarist playing with a singer @DiscoStu , its a very exposed place to be, however the more you do the easier it gets, and theres nothing like experience, the other thing was it certainly made me a better player very quickly, it sounded good to me, and as a fellow NE Scot i would have thought the audience will have had a few "bevvies" as well
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Lots of wisdom above. My tuppence worth- don't drink to excess, rehearse as much as you feel you need to, and play easy songs at the front of the set. You will get into it, enjoy it and loosen up.

nerves is your way of telling yourself that you give a shit. I like seeing average / poor bands who have a great time and get into it. I don't like watching musicians who are arrogant and don't give a shit. The audience can tell.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Look forward to that first mistake, honestly, embrace it !

Once you have made the almost inevitable fluff (and even the pros make mistakes more often than you might imagine), then you have it out of the way.

You'll realise that nobody died, the whole world didn't disappear over the event horizon of a black hole, and your friends will still talk to you, hell, they probably didn't even notice, and neither did anyone else in the audience.

Then you can just relax, which always helps you play better IMO, and enjoy the rest of the set.