New Gibsons ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited January 2017
    Rabs said:

I just spotted this in that line up posted above...  Looks very much like an old school DC..  Im sure more details will come soon enough (probably at NAMM)

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/c83lvxxxxZL_zpskubpbp34.jpg

I suspect that's a Historic.  Wildwood Guitars have an aged, black Collectors' Choice Historic Junior on their site at the moment.  $5k+.  Unfortunately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickLNickL Frets: 150
    Is that a green LP with a Floyd, locking nut and big block inlays on the left of the picture? Hmmm.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    NickL said:
    Is that a green LP with a Floyd, locking nut and big block inlays on the left of the picture? Hmmm.

Probably the new Les Paul Axcess model.... probably
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    Gibson Uptown? Gibson Downtown?  =)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I don't like them, I'm not really a fan of Gibsons, apart from the 335. So it's a no from me.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    Finally remember what it reminds me of. The ESP Potbelly

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Lets face it guys .Musical instruments are dull  in reality .No really exiting pianos or trumpets and the harpsichord doesnt get a make over very often .Sure technology improves , in theory , but the basic  40's -50-s guitar designs work .The rest  is just preference as to pickups ,frets etc ..3 wheel cars never inspire the imagination and I havnt seen a 5 wheeler yet  thats because 4  wheels work .Same for guitars IMHO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Isn't the new one the same silhouette at least as that bonkers MIII model ?
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    rossi said:
    Lets face it guys .Musical instruments are dull  in reality .No really exiting pianos or trumpets and the harpsichord doesnt get a make over very often .Sure technology improves , in theory , but the basic  40's -50-s guitar designs work .The rest  is just preference as to pickups ,frets etc ..3 wheel cars never inspire the imagination and I havnt seen a 5 wheeler yet  thats because 4  wheels work .Same for guitars IMHO
    Sometimes we love a vintage vibe to a modern twist.  So a modern car with the regular number of wheels..?  Sure.

But if you really want that vintage vibe, pop down the local auto parts store, maybe look at the classic chrome rims, pinstripes or other 50's accoutrements... alternatively go the whole hog and fit wagon wheels to your Hummer...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Rox said:
    rossi said:
    Sometimes we love a vintage vibe to a modern twist.  So a modern car with the regular number of wheels..?  Sure.

But if you really want that vintage vibe, pop down the local auto parts store, maybe look at the classic chrome rims, pinstripes or other 50's accoutrements... alternatively go the whole hog and fit wagon wheels to your Hummer...

Meh. They are smaller than they used to be in the seventies...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    rossi said:
    True. It's pretty hard to innovate in an area like instruments. There's not a whole lot you can add to improve them as the basic function dictates it's limitations. An instrument simply makes a noise so youre limited to either how it makes the noise, or the sound it produces. There have been innovations in certain areas but most changes are going to be aesthetics rather than revolutionary. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited January 2017
    DrBob said:
    Isn't the new one the same silhouette at least as that bonkers MIII model ?
    The cutaways are similar.  The MIII body is a little more squat, with a much longer upper horn and better top-fret access.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    And who's the saucy blonde with the double florentine cutaways and the 175-style markers?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Nitefly said:
    And who's the saucy blonde with the double florentine cutaways and the 175-style markers?
    Dunno, that piqued my curiosity too...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I quite like it in goldtop but don't know if the headstock suits it.
  • @Nitefly - almost looks like a soldbody Johnny A? Different inlays though...
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    I really like the look of those.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    TimmyO said:
    Seen at CES

prototypes apparently.

Not super original but I quite like them.
    I think they have a touch of the Yahama Revstar and the Ibanez Roadster ii

https://goo.gl/images/Zf0tgO

https://goo.gl/images/IVXGFA

• SyncSync Frets: 288
    I quite like them.

But Gibson don't seem to get that their strength is in their legacy, built over the Rock decades that have long since passed. There are no big artists to make this design famous or sought after.

It still feels like they are trying to compete with PRS; who are a modern guitar builder with a modern design, outlook and market. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Sync said:
    I quite like them.

But Gibson don't seem to get that their strength is in their legacy, built over the Rock decades that have long since passed. There are no big artists to make this design famous or sought after.

It still feels like they are trying to compete with PRS; who are a modern guitar builder with a modern design, outlook and market. 

I agree, this would have worked if they introduced it 40 years ago, before PRS was a thing. Now the older company with the original design that PRS evolved on looks like a mediocre imitator.

Also, they are very different markets, I'd say that someone looking for an R8 wouldn't buy a PRS and someone looking for a PRS wouldn't buy an R8.