Akai New Headrush: looks like a Helix! (Best thread version)

What's Hot

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Looks like I sold my AX8 at just the right time :)

Looks ideal for home/rehearsal use if that price is correct. Always heard good things about the Eleven Rack, and if this does seamless patch switching that's a major bonus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    excuse my absolute ignorance on this...but is this like a really advanced and Zoom G3 type thing??
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgan said:
    excuse my absolute ignorance on this...but is this like a really advanced and Zoom G3 type thing??
    Yes, exactly that. In precisely the same way that a Dumble is a really advanced Peavey Bandit type thing ;)
    <space for hire>
    11reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    digitalscream said:

In precisely the same way that a Dumble is a really advanced Peavey Bandit type thing ;)
    Surely the other way round? ;) :D 

This looks interesting. It would need to sound at least as good as the analogue overdrive/distortion module in the Boss GT-5 for it to be on my want list, but I'm not sure that's impossible now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    samzadgan said:
    Yes, exactly that. In precisely the same way that a Dumble is a really advanced Peavey Bandit type thing ;)
    I get i simplified things immensely, but just had to get it right in my head.

like ICBM says though the distortion/fuzz/OD is where I haven't heard digital recreations that I like...for everything else though digital is perfectly fine to my ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    digitalscream said:

In precisely the same way that a Dumble is a really advanced Peavey Bandit type thing ;)

This looks interesting. It would need to sound at least as good as the analogue overdrive/distortion module in the Boss GT-5 for it to be on my want list, but I'm not sure that's impossible now.
    :D

The drive pedal models in the 11R were very good as I recall. Didn't use them much, though, because the amp modelling sounded so "right" to me.

Good question on their Facebook page:

Q: 
    "The amp and cab models are the same present in the Eleven Rack or this ones are enhanced/modified? The list of models is the same..."

A: "They are redesigned from the ground up built around the new quad-core DSP system. It's a massive step up in definition and realism."

Yep, this is sounding very much like the effects unit I've been wanting. Now, let's talk about spillover... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    ICBM said:
    digitalscream said:

:D

The drive pedal models in the 11R were very good as I recall. Didn't use them much, though, because the amp modelling sounded so "right" to me.

Good question on their Facebook page:

Q: "The amp and cab models are the same present in the Eleven Rack or this ones are enhanced/modified? The list of models is the same..."

A: "They are redesigned from the ground up built around the new quad-core DSP system. It's a massive step up in definition and realism."

Yep, this is sounding very much like the effects unit I've been wanting. Now, let's talk about spillover... ;)
    I'm going to be that you get in patch spill over, but not patch to patch spill over.
  • Yep, this is sounding very much like the effects unit I've been wanting. Now, let's talk about spillover... ;)
    I'm going to be that you get in patch spill over, but not patch to patch spill over.
    That was my bet, but then I looked at the feature list...and it looks strikingly similar to the feature request list from the original Eleven Rack on Avid's site. Fairly high up that list were seamless patch switching (which it has) and patch-to-patch spillover.

Factor in the quad core DSP, and it looks a lot more technically do-able.
    <space for hire>
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    That was my bet, but then I looked at the feature list...and it looks strikingly similar to the feature request list from the original Eleven Rack on Avid's site. Fairly high up that list were seamless patch switching (which it has) and patch-to-patch spillover.

Factor in the quad core DSP, and it looks a lot more technically do-able.
    I guess a large part will be how DSP intensive the models are and how complex the signal path can be? Maybe if it's signal chain is single path series only, with only dual amp or cab blocks available then it becomes a bit less complex? 

If that's true - then there becomes quite a lot of difference between this and helix (beyond the models) which is good imo.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27588
    Also - while this is assumption on assumption - looking at the layout on the screen it's not running vast numbers of effect blocks, so it could be that it uses two cores to run the current patch, and the other two cores to spillover from the previous.

It's a very compelling price point against the Helix. Again, based just on the video, it doesn't look to have quite the same level of flexibility in building really silly patches, but it's a good chunk less money and will probably cover what a lot of people want/need. Plus they nicked a lot of the nice features from the Helix - the scribble strips and coloured footswitch lights are really good.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Ooo nice. Not horribly expensive either, if it does what it says on the tin. 

I still have not tried a helix, be interesting to see how it holds up against the current King. 

I still have not tried a helix, be interesting to see how it holds up against the current King. 
    They've both put serious thought into the user interface. My guess is it'll sound as good - some will prefer one or t'other. Then it comes down to price, selection of effect blocks, and how each individual gets on with each interface.
  • Sporky said:

They've both put serious thought into the user interface. My guess is it'll sound as good - some will prefer one or t'other. Then it comes down to price, selection of effect blocks, and how each individual gets on with each interface.
    Another problem with the Eleven was that the effect blocks were limited; you could only put delay in one block, for example. I really hope they've addressed that.

As for the actual sound...I always preferred the sound of the Eleven modelling to that of the AxeFX of the day (Standard and Ultra). To this day, I still don't like the Fractal sound; I very much like the Kemper, but that's not quite the same thing. Helix falls somewhere in between, and I suspect this will too.

For me, the fact that the modelling in this is essentially a known quantity definitely puts it to the front of the queue.
    <space for hire>
  • Sporky said:

Another problem with the Eleven was that the effect blocks were limited; you could only put delay in one block, for example. I really hope they've addressed that.

As for the actual sound...I always preferred the sound of the Eleven modelling to that of the AxeFX of the day (Standard and Ultra). To this day, I still don't like the Fractal sound; I very much like the Kemper, but that's not quite the same thing. Helix falls somewhere in between, and I suspect this will too.

For me, the fact that the modelling in this is essentially a known quantity definitely puts it to the front of the queue.
    There is not a huge lot wrong with the 11r preamps, it was always the cab/ir that let it down, I would like to see the ability to load 3rd party IR's but that's a bit of a wish list thing. 
    If they have the Cabs sorted I'm really likely to get one. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Sporky said:

There is not a huge lot wrong with the 11r preamps, it was always the cab/ir that let it down, I would like to see the ability to load 3rd party IR's but that's a bit of a wish list thing. 
    If they have the Cabs sorted I'm really likely to get one. 
    Yep, it's got a custom IR loader.
    <space for hire>
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited January 2017
    Line 6 should be flattered. It shows how right they got the Helix if others are copying the style.
    It does look like that at first glance doesn't it? But when you look at the other Akai products it looks like one of their own designs. I wonder if Line 6 copied Akai....

http://www.akaipro.com/category/new-products

Not that it matters either way both products look visually great.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I can't imagine they have had time to copy the Helix.  This must have taken a while to develop
    longi said:
    Line 6 should be flattered. It shows how right they got the Helix if others are copying the style.
    It does look like that at first glance doesn't it? But when you look at the other Akai products it looks like one of their own designs. I wonder if Line 6 copied Akai....

http://www.akaipro.com/category/new-products

Not that it matters either way both products look visually great.

None of those have scribble strips...
  • longi said:
    Nope. The first Helix ID/UI/UX conversations started in 2008.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That user interface REALLY looks like  Android. I'm assuming it's got an ARM CPU in there somewhere as well as the DSPs so it's quite possible they've just lifted bits out of Android and handled the signal and switching processing off to the DSPs.