Good small keyboards or modules for Rhodes/Wurlitzer and organ sounds

What's Hot
As per the title really, I'd love to find a small form but good sounding keyboard (or sound module for midi) that covers the very few sounds I'd want. At present I have a Microkorg which for various reasons does not do what I'd want, horrible small keys, no real organ or piano sounds, no sustain pedal etc.

So my spec would be the following, though having looked through quite a lot of googling I'm not sure this exists as such so would appreciate any other ideas:

Small, three or four octaves would be fine. I don't have the space for anything bigger.

Good Rhodes/Wurlitzer epiano sounds (Riders on the Storm) and organ sounds (any doors!)

Sustain pedal possibility for the epiano. 

Proper sized keys. Those crap small ones like on the Microkorg and Reface ones are unplayable.

Not software plug in based. Too many wires

In terms of quality, the keys on the old Yamaha keyboard I have in the loft are sufficient, i don't need anything magic, the sound is more important.

I don't have a midi keyboard but obviously would get one if I go for a module.

Annnnd go :) 

Thanks all
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Main stage for the mac and a midi keyboard?
    cme 49
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Couldn't you control a Reface (which sound really nice imo) with a keyboard that has nice big keys?
  • Cabicular said:
    Main stage for the mac and a midi keyboard?
    cme 49
    I don't want to include a computer/software as that would be too many cables to trip over and plug in every time

bbill335 said:
    Couldn't you control a Reface (which sound really nice imo) with a keyboard that has nice big keys?
    Theoretically yes but buying two of those plus a controller negates the point of keeping it small, and also for that money I could probably get a proper one
    I use a Puck and wireless midi into the Mac or iPad depending on what I'm gigging. It depends how picky you are about the sounds, if you want a good workhorse the Roland Junos or Motif MX49 both have decent engines behind them. I know the motif stuff better from the stuff I did with Yamaha and the pianos and organs are excellent.
    I wouldn't go down this route though without trying them

• Thanks Cabicular though sadly neither of those come in a small version by the looks of things (though I could be wrong)
    Mx 49 is a 49 key version (I have a bit of a problem with it as he keys are slightly narrower than standard) 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited January 2017
    Yeah I know, it's too wide sadly, and if the keys are not proper sized that's not going to help either add I'm used to proper piano sized ones
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Its a Nord or a controller. You know this already.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Would a used KS4 do the trick? It's a synth but I was noodling with the organ on my rack last night [fnaar] and it was ok. You could tweak it and/or add a rotary pedal. I was running mine through a space echo for added depth.

Just a thought.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/novation/ks45r.php

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Cheers Blobb I'll certainly look into that yes, rack based could work.

Winny_pooh in aware the Nord ones are the best yes but they don't do anything to fit the size spec, that's why I'm asking for other options as I'm willing to compromise on the sound a bit more than on the physical size and the size of the keys
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Have you seen the Alesis VX49 and M-Audio CTRL-49? They are both 49 Key, around £300 and can play any VSTi Plugin.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited January 2017
    They play VSTs on the keyboard only without plugging into a computer? That sounds neat?

Edit: @olafgarten they seem to just be midi controllers for a computer from a quick Google?
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Cheers Blobb I'll certainly look into that yes, rack based could work.

Winny_pooh in aware the Nord ones are the best yes but they don't do anything to fit the size spec, that's why I'm asking for other options as I'm willing to compromise on the sound a bit more than on the physical size and the size of the keys
    Nord Electro is available small desktop/rack size so you can use with a small controller keyboard:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtop said:
    Cheers Blobb I'll certainly look into that yes, rack based could work.

Nord Electro is available small desktop/rack size so you can use with a small controller keyboard:

Bang yes! that is the kind of thing. I shall see about selling my amp I think to get the one on ebay...
    They play VSTs on the keyboard only without plugging into a computer? That sounds neat?

Edit: @olafgarten they seem to just be midi controllers for a computer from a quick Google?

Sorry, it looks like you are right, slightly misleading when they say you can load your Vst onto the keyboard though. 
  • Yeah you're right it does read that way, shame as that would be ideal wouldn't it
  • @thecolourbox ; I remember reading in Sound On Sound (some years ago now) of a single rack unit that you could load vst instruments/effects into and control by midi. I'm afraid I don't remember what it was called though - not really my area of interest but my engineer/producer mate was very excited about it at the time being as he came from a background of hardware samplers and rack gear.It might be worth a search of the SoS review archives?
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Muse Receptor allows loading of plug-ins - http://www.museresearch.com/products/receptor-features.php - but they got out of the hardare business. Roland VariOS was another that was shortlived. Hard products to explain and harder to sell.

There's also this marvellously odd thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINT-Open-Labs-Miko-Workstation-DAW-Studio-Synthesiser-Studio-Keyboard-Neko-VST-/152390892896?hash=item237b347d60:g:PyoAAOSwEzxYdOog

It does look like a Laptop is your best bet, it would need power to the Laptop and then a USB Midi Cable to the keyboard. Most MIDI Controllers can be powered through the USB Cable including the ones I linked before. To get the sound out it would probably be worth investing in an Interface but you can get something really small for that.