Kemp Guitars *2016 Build Thread*

What's Hot

Comments

• xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
    edited December 2016
    Lookin' good

Also, I cleared up those duplicate posts for you...

Thanks for that. I remember having difficulty trying to post that reply but it only appeared once at the time.

Megii said:
    Hi @KempGuitars, Megii (aka Megi) from the "other forum" - like what you're doing, and as always, the new designs have that bit of artistic design flair in the lines that I've been struck by before. Any chance you could post a few pics of some of the carved top set neck guitars you've done though? - I thought some of those were really stunning looking instruments.

Thanks Megii, I'm glad you like the designs. They're keeping me busy at the moment and there will be plenty more to come - including lots of more visually interesting exotic tops, etc =)

Sadly, I won't be posting photos of the pre-Kemp Guitars builds that you like. However, I am about to start a (Wenge) carve-top KM-I for a customer. It won't really get started now until after Christmas but it'll be one to look out for. I don't offer carve-tops as a standard option with the KM-I and KM-II bodies, although that doesn't stop anyone requesting them, so who knows what will crop up in the future.

In the meantime, just for you =) Here's one of my favourite carve-tops built as Serpentine Guitars...

Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    Lovely stuff!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• kemp-gallery-03jpg

My god that is tasty :sexwee:

If you are making these for sale I may need to convince the Mrs that I need one.

• kemp-gallery-03jpg

My god that is tasty :sexwee:

If you are making these for sale I may need to convince the Mrs that I need one.

This one was sold within a week of completing it. However, it was a stock build and I'd happily build another identical =)

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Megii said:
    Hi @KempGuitars, Megii (aka Megi) from the "other forum" - like what you're doing, and as always, the new designs have that bit of artistic design flair in the lines that I've been struck by before. Any chance you could post a few pics of some of the carved top set neck guitars you've done though? - I thought some of those were really stunning looking instruments.

Thanks Megii, I'm glad you like the designs. They're keeping me busy at the moment and there will be plenty more to come - including lots of more visually interesting exotic tops, etc =)

Sadly, I won't be posting photos of the pre-Kemp Guitars builds that you like. However, I am about to start a (Wenge) carve-top KM-I for a customer. It won't really get started now until after Christmas but it'll be one to look out for. I don't offer carve-tops as a standard option with the KM-I and KM-II bodies, although that doesn't stop anyone requesting them, so who knows what will crop up in the future.

In the meantime, just for you =) Here's one of my favourite carve-tops built as Serpentine Guitars...

Ah - that's a nice one, thank you! And glad to here you're busy with the new designs, it's gorgeous stuff. And very much looking forward to that wenge carve top KM-I :) 
  • I've finished installing the electrics and other components in KM1 #1. With space in the cavity so tight I was worried that I'd end up with too much, or too little length of wire - but it was ok in the end. That's a combined volume/tone pot, so there's another set of unseen connections below.

The guitar both looks and plays great. The pickup combination works well - shifting from cool and laid back to quite angry.

edited January 2019
    I've finished installing the electrics and other components in KM1 #1. With space in the cavity so tight I was worried that I'd end up with too much, or too little length of wire - but it was ok in the end. That's a combined volume/tone pot, so there's another set of unseen connections below.

[PICS REMOVED]

The guitar both looks and plays great. The pickup combination works well - shifting from cool and laid back to quite angry.

It is tight, isn't it  I didn't want to take too much away from the body and made the cavity just big enough to get the one pot, switch and jack in.

The guitar looks great though, you've done it real justice

edited January 2019

Happy New Year to you all =)

2016 passed so quick, especially the last couple months of it. Kemp Guitars is looking forward to 2017, and we start with the first two builds that will be leaving the workshop this month (January).

The first is the custom 7-string KM-2 build, previously mentioned, now taking on some oil coats as we speak alongside our stock KM-I (#3) with Sapele body/neck and Makore fretboard...

In addition to two further stock builds (both 7-strings), we're also going to be working with this stunning Wenge top for a custom KM-I carve-top...

One last thing to add is about the latest CITES regulations that came into force today with regards to shipping any kind of Rosewood and some kinds of Bubinga - https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species.

In light of these new regulations, Kemp Guitars has decided to discontinue all Rosewood, Bubinga and Cocobolo as options on any guitars that are being shipped to any non-UK based customer. Sad, I know, but there is a lot of administration and costs for both myself and the recipient if a guitar is made using one or more of these woods.

edited January 2019

Sapele + Oil + Black Hardware = KM-I #3...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Beautiful looking guitar ^ - what's the fingerboard wood, if I may ask?
  • Megii said:

Hi Megii,

Thanks for the comment - it's simple, but I love Sapele and it comes alive with a finish and black hardware.

The fretboard is Makore (aka African Cherry amongst other names) and is quite similar to Mahogany - denser with a slighter deeper tone. Often figured and used as acoustic guitar back and sides. I recently sold the last of my Makore fretboard blank stock... Wish I'd kept them all now - I'll have to get some more.

Megii said:

Hi Megii,

Thanks for the comment - it's simple, but I love Sapele and it comes alive with a finish and black hardware.

The fretboard is Makore (aka African Cherry amongst other names) and is quite similar to Mahogany - denser with a slighter deeper tone. Often figured and used as acoustic guitar back and sides. I recently sold the last of my Makore fretboard blank stock... Wish I'd kept them all now - I'll have to get some more.

The Sapele certainly does look lovely finished like that. Makore is a new one on me, but I like the look of it I must say. :)
    edited January 2019

I was hoping to start a full-on build progress thread for a new custom build (KM-I carve-top) I started yesterday, but I decided against it. However, that Wenge top that appears in a photo a few posts ago...

15mm bookmatched Wenge top on 28mm Sapele body, five-piece Maple/Purpleheart neck and Ebony fretboard.

Will have to be put aside for a couple of days now but I'm looking forward to this one

• This isn't the type of thing I normally like but I think these look great. The shapes and the woods go really well together. 
  • Sapele + Oil + Black Hardware = KM-I #3...

If you fancied this guitar it appears to be up for sale on ebay. As I already have three Kemp guitars (including KM 1 #1) I won't be bidding - and if I was I wouldn't tell FB ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172473100358?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

edited January 2019

If you fancied this guitar it appears to be up for sale on ebay. As I already have three Kemp guitars (including KM 1 #1) I won't be bidding - and if I was I wouldn't tell FB

*LINK REMOVED*

Thanks John. I wasn't sure on the rules for posting links to auction listings, etc.

Indeed, it's available. Christmas has dried out bank accounts for most so if you have a pot of cash stashed away, you might well be able to bag yourself a bargain here.

edited January 2019

Our next stock build (KM-II #2) is getting there... Neck carve tomorrow and then it'll be time to prep for an oil finish. As with the first KM-I build, the (TonePros) Tune-O-Matic bridge has been recessed to avoid the need for a neck angle.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Our next stock build (KM-II #2) is getting there... Neck carve tomorrow and then it'll be time to prep for an oil finish. As with the first KM-I build, the (TonePros) Tune-O-Matic bridge has been recessed to avoid the need for a neck angle.

Ooo....now that, I like.
    <space for hire>
    edited January 2019

KM-II #2 neck carve completed today, followed by hours of sanding in prep for the Tung Oil finish. Should have this one finished before the end of the week.

edited January 2019

Our next stock build (KM-II #2) is getting there... Neck carve tomorrow and then it'll be time to prep for an oil finish. As with the first KM-I build, the (TonePros) Tune-O-Matic bridge has been recessed to avoid the need for a neck angle.

Ooo....now that, I like.

The recessed TOM or the whole thing?

Did this with the first KM-I. Being a flat-top, the string height across the body would be ridiculously high if I'd gone with a neck angle.