Yamaha APX4A second hand prices?

What's Hot
Hi

I'm currently going through my stuff and trying to downsize. I've got a Yamaha APX4A, that i've had since about 1996. It's fairly dogeared but it has the huge Hiscox hardcase (which is the main reason I want to move it on). I was considering going to cash convertors with it tomorrow, I've tried looking online to find completed ebay listings. The only one I could find was an unsold one at £40.

I'm guessing I'd be lucky to get £40 for it from crack convertors?
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    You'd get £40 for the case to someone who has another APX and needs one.

In decent condition the guitar should be worth about £150, and probably not less than about £100 even well-used. It's still a Yamaha… they are not the most popular guitar these days but still a functional electro-acoustic with a good name on it.

The most important thing is, do the electrics still work properly? The older Yamaha preamps can fail, and if it's one with the separate push-in knobs you're out of luck, Yamaha no longer have the parts - although I think the 'A' has a more conventional preamp.

Second most important is how worn the frets are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Shame you aren't 'Up North'.  I'm looking for a cheap APX.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    @ICBM thanks, yeah it's not something I want to give away. As you say Yamaha is still a pretty good name. My only concern is that the guitar was kept in a garage (in the case for a few months). It developed this weird hazing underneath the main finish. The guitar has been stored indoors for the last year. So I don't think it's been damaged, just the finish affected by the change in temperatures.
    It's a violin sunburst, so you really have to look to see it.
    I never really used the electrics on the guitar, I shall have to double check they still work. I know that I removed the 9v many moons ago, as I didn't want it leaking etc. I think the frets are okay, given that the guitar is over 20 years old. I've never had the guitar set up, so I might pay a local tech to do that.

Thanks for your input though, it is appreciated. I think I might visit a local guitar shop and see a) if they could sell it for me (half and half) or b) if they would be interested in buying it outright. C) get the guitar set up and ebay it.

@CountryDave mate if you weren't a four hour drive away!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Just don't take it to Crack Converters. They're bigger thieves than their main suppliers. They'll offer you a fiver if you're lucky.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    @Sassafras Yeah that's kind of a last resort to be honest. I had a Burns Marquee years ago. I bought it for £249 (iirc, maybe £349?). I just didn't bond with the guitar, but I wanted something with single coils that strangely wasn't a strat, should have just bought a Tele I know.
    Anyway I tried selling it through Trade-It for £170, no sniffs I even went as low as £120. I was to much of a  worry wart to sell it through ebay. So I went to crack converters...sold it for £70. The guitar was brand new...

@redrighthand thanks mate, that's essentially a very similar condition to mine. I do have the official big ass Hiscox case though. It's a tough one. What I have been thinking about is, px'ing both of the Yamahas for a half decent acoustic once I've got myself back on my feet job wise. I'm guessing mine is worth probably £80-100 then.
  • @DrJazzTap yeah you should be able to sell for more than me - I just wanted shot so wanted to price very keenly. They're solid guitars - my buyer was happy!