Is it quite normal....

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
... to be asked by a hotel/venue for my PLI policy number before the gig? I have a wedding to do in March and they want proof of PLI and also PAT tested equipment
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't know if it's normal for wedding venues, but every time I've had a venue ask me for proof of PAT testing, I've replied with a request for proof of PAT testing for everything relating to the sound system in the venue. Usually don't hear anything after that.
    <space for hire>
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Yes, perfectly normal for wedding venues. Got the same for two I'm booked for later this year. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Don't know if it's normal for wedding venues, but every time I've had a venue ask me for proof of PAT testing, I've replied with a request for proof of PAT testing for everything relating to the sound system in the venue. Usually don't hear anything after that.
    What do you mean @digitalscream ; :)
    Yes, perfectly normal for wedding venues. Got the same for two I'm booked for later this year. 
    Ok thanks. I just get nervous that they'll have my policy number before hand and could claim against it should anything happen that wasn't my fault. Paranoid I know :(
  • Don't know if it's normal for wedding venues, but every time I've had a venue ask me for proof of PAT testing, I've replied with a request for proof of PAT testing for everything relating to the sound system in the venue. Usually don't hear anything after that.
    I mean...I've had a few venues tell me we can't play unless we have proof of PAT testing for all our equipment. I responded with "Thanks for reminding me - before we play, we require proof of PAT testing for all equipment in the venue, since it doesn't matter if our equipment is safe if yours isn't". This has happened 6 times in the last 5 years or so, and that ended the conversation...when asked later on about the PAT testing requirement they all said, "Oh, never mind, that's our mistake and it's not necessary" or words to that effect.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Don't know if it's normal for wedding venues, but every time I've had a venue ask me for proof of PAT testing, I've replied with a request for proof of PAT testing for everything relating to the sound system in the venue. Usually don't hear anything after that.
    I mean...I've had a few venues tell me we can't play unless we have proof of PAT testing for all our equipment. I responded with "Thanks for reminding me - before we play, we require proof of PAT testing for all equipment in the venue, since it doesn't matter if our equipment is safe if yours isn't". This has happened 6 times in the last 5 years or so, and that ended the conversation...when asked later on about the PAT testing requirement they all said, "Oh, never mind, that's our mistake and it's not necessary" or words to that effect.
    Thanks. I'll ask for that too as I agree it's a two way process / risk
    Worth considering, though, that the kinds of venues I played were significantly removed from hotels and other wedding-type venues. You'll almost certainly need to get your gear PAT tested...most amp techs can do that, I think.
    <space for hire>
    Worth considering, though, that the kinds of venues I played were significantly removed from hotels and other wedding-type venues. You'll almost certainly need to get your gear PAT tested...most amp techs can do that, I think.
    Ok. I got a quote for £25 to test all my bands equipment. So it won't break the bank and once it's done it's done for the year I guess
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Ok. I got a quote for £25 to test all my bands equipment. So it won't break the bank and once it's done it's done for the year I guess
    Or just get a roll of these and do it yourself..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAT-Testing-Labels-x-1000-Passed-Stickers-Electrical-FREE-P-P-/321513821789?hash=item4adbb7965d:g:RyUAAOSwd4tUCxwt

Not that I would ever do that of course.... ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    Lol the thought had occurred to me Neil ;)
  • I recomend those stickers, they work quite well. Plus you have the added benefit of knowing your equipment is safe because it has a sticker on it
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I do a bit of photography, and also have a lot of friends who do photography; some of them are Wedding photographers. Ive heard countless stories where Wedding venues have advised the Bride and Groom that unless their photographer can show proof of PLI, they wouldn't let them in the venue.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    +1 on the stickers, plus a baffling spreadsheet.

Luckily our drummer is also an electrician, which is handy.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited January 2017
    Ok thanks. I just get nervous that they'll have my policy number before hand and could claim against it should anything happen that wasn't my fault. Paranoid I know
    The PL policy is a contract between you and the insurer, and only you can claim on it.  A third party cannot claim on your insurance - they can only take legal action against you, and then you claim on the policy. The PL policy is taken out by you to indemnify you for the costs and damages of any claim for liability made against you.  

The reason venues might ask for proof of PL is in case something happens on their premises that they consider is your fault and property is damaged or someone is injured. You can't successfully sue a 'man of straw', so proof that you have PL gives them reassurance that in such a scenario any legitimate claim for damages made on them by a third party (e.g. injury to a guest), or by them on you (e.g. if their property has been damaged) , has a chance of being settled.  They are simply being prudent.  

Aside from meeting any eventual cost of damages up to the policy limit, the insurers handle the matter completely and investigate the incident and deal with the third party or their insurers directly - which is why you must NEVER admit liability even if you think something was 'obviously' your fault.   

For example, a third party might trip over one of your cables and hurt themselves and you might be forgiven for apologising and believing its your fault and admitting liability because it was your cable.  But that may not be the case.  In practice the venue will also have a health & safety responsibility to ensure that the audience don't go on/within the 'stage' area, and to satisfy themselves before the gig that your cables (e.g. if you were at floor level and there was no dedicated raised stage area) were unobtrusive, were taped down, and that they had provided adequate and safe access to well-sited mains sockets that avoided the need for badly lying cables.   

In fact, unless something weird happens like your amp blowing up and starting a fire,or you do something ridiculously silly like running amongst the audience and accidentally hitting someone in the face with your guitar, it's unlikely that too much can happen at a gig that you will actually have a genuine liability for.  And even then it might only be a partial liability.    
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PL insurance is fairly cheap. £50 a year.  If you join the MU it's included in membership.  Having said that it's £213 a year to join unless you are a student when you get it for £20.  
    PL insurance is fairly cheap. £50 a year.  If you join the MU it's included in membership.  Having said that it's £213 a year to join unless you are a student when you get it for £20.  
    Yes I did go down that route initially but as you say ended up paying in the end. Plus it was only me who'd be covered rather than the band 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I have PLI with my gear insurance, but we had to take out a separate band policy for PLI for some wedding venues and an agent we're working with. It's in the name of the band so no issues with deps or line-up changes. £60 split between 4 wasn't too hard to afford at all. 
    I have PLI with my gear insurance, but we had to take out a separate band policy for PLI for some wedding venues and an agent we're working with. It's in the name of the band so no issues with deps or line-up changes. £60 split between 4 wasn't too hard to afford at all. 
    Yup this is what I have done. A bit of a waste though as we've only done a few gigs since taking the policy out last June :( Only the next gig is insisting we show them the policy number