New Year Guitar Goals

What's Hot
Aside from buying more gear because it's new and shiny lol =)

I'm having something on an overhaul as I'm mostly self taught. I've been using Justin's awesome site to work on the basics and I'm tempted to buy some of his song books too.

I can tell you everything I know about music theory and sight.reading in one word.....nothing. So they're priorities. I'll be brushing up on ear training too.

Taking regular breaks to drool over new gear obviously lol

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm continuing on standard notation reading, drop 2 chords, and all types of pentatonics.
  • To force myself to carry on working through the intermediate sections of Justin's lessons. I purchased some books and DVDs but got distracted from genuine practice by trying to learn songs but haven't stuck at anything to get them 100%. Need to find a better balance so I do both (learn songs and theory), not 1 or the other. I'd like to nail all 5 positions of the pentatonic scales so I can play up and down the neck without thinking. Trying to do all this in the evening after a day at work is tough going.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I think for me it will be to more deliberate and accurate with what I play, less aimless noodling. Main thing is to enjoy playing, it is my hobby afterall
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• I love playing but I'd like to have more of a clue than "Blues in A" lol. Last night I was thinking of mapping out scales on paper only using the note interval rather than the actual note. My reasoning is it'll ( hopefully ) help with the theory and stop my aimless noodling :)

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    Ditto...... I have two books that I want to get through, both are on about mapping the fretboard.....
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I need to get back to playing the fingerstyle jazz and acoustic music which I like. Don't get me wrong. I like the variety of styles which comes with playing in a covers band, and it's caused me to learn some new techniques. It's just that I'm not making time to play anything else
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Rather than the usual "play more, buy less" that I fail each year, I'm going to set myself the realistic goal of play less, buy more.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Jack_  good plan lol.

I've been spending a lot of time on Justin Sandercoes guitar site. Great stuff and it's really helping me out :)

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    Justin's site is great.

i actually invented a 'Justin guitar' drinking game. Any time he says 'it's really, really important' you drink.

you'll be hammered in no time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd like to learn to record with more that my phone -  I've got a laptop and I know thats the start - the rest I have no clue about, should be fun :)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'd like to learn to record with more that my phone -  I've got a laptop and I know thats the start - the rest I have no clue about, should be fun :)
    I'm in exactly the same position and want to do the same thing.
    Reaper looks like the dashboard of the space shuttle.
    I'm going to try a portable tascam handheld thing soon, that might work ok.
    I'd buy a mic if i knew anything about the hardware to connect it to a laptop and WTF to do with the 7 million buttons and menu options on something like reaper.

I keep walking away from it saying things like

"Fuck it, i'll play the guitar and someone else can do the recording !"
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Reaper is actually very easy to use. Probably the easiest of all DAWs. If you could find some one to show you the basics, you'd be multirack recording and mixing in an hour and never look back.
    Reaper is actually very easy to use. Probably the easiest of all DAWs. If you could find some one to show you the basics, you'd be multirack recording and mixing in an hour and never look back.
    I have tried that before but the getting someone to come round and show me bit didn't work.
    At some point soon i will try to get the right hardware and try again.

I'd really like to enter the composition challenges but with no looper and just an iphone there's no point trying to compete with this and whatever a digital orchestra is referred to as. 
    The creative side of me would love it but knowing FA kind of stops all that enthusiasm dead in it's tracks (no pun).
  • @Alnico while I'm no expert at Reaper I can help you find your way round it. I'm fairly confident with the basics of it :)

@Alnico while I'm no expert at Reaper I can help you find your way round it. I'm fairly confident with the basics of it :)
    Brilliant !
    Thanks. I'll look at a mic in the next few weeks and then maybe get that jam session going as well while you show me how to record it?
  • Sure! 

• Due to my current self inflicted shoulder injury I shall be learning some theory and *finally* getting around to learning how to sight read :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    Good luck to you! Especially with the sightreading!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    To get a professional engagement on the lap steel.