Getting from 85% to 100% ?

What's Hot
I am an avid transcriber of solos and songs, however, there are countless passages or phrases from particular solos and songs that I just can't get at the correct tempo, it's too quick. Some are 85%, some 75% etc.

Now, I know the answer and what I need to do, I need to build up to that speed from a slower speed and practice it, repetition is the key, muscle memory and all that. Thing is with me, I get very bored doing strict practice, I like to just play the Guitar.

The only strict practice I have ever done is the Ross Bolton Funk Video Tutorial on youtube, somehow I really got into that and did well out of it.

But as a kind of new year's resolution, I have decided to put a percentage of my time to nailing these licks at 100% speed. I've picked several that I am only willing to give 5-10 minutes each per day. I slow them down in Audacity to a speed I can play them at without making any mistakes.

What I am asking is how long do you think it will take with this little "5-10 minute each" regime to nail them at 100% speed? I'm guessing 9 months, but I may be way out.

I'm guessing I'm practicing this in the correct way? When do you know to move up from 85% to 90%, I might have nailed it at 85, but be instantly shit at 90%, going up in steps of 2% would feel like torture.

Who knows, if I get there quicker than I expected, it may inspire me to go further.

Thanks for any help.
I am wanting Tea every day !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• I'd go the total opposite way.

I'd spend 9 minutes playing at 50-60% speed, to a metronome, and then test your clean top speed at the end.  Give it a try for a week and see how you get on.  I have found practicing much slower to be more beneficial than practicing almost at full speed most of the time.  It really forces you to play perfectly in time and with clean technique.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 893
    Yep, agree with taking it at a slower speed and getting it right. You also only need to play it right about 10 times for the brain to remember. Then sleep on it. The brain processes the information while you sleep, and the next day it's easier to play. Then let the speed build up. Let speed happen rather than force it. Do this one lick at a time so as not to confuse things, and move on to a new lick after a few days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 1596
    Thanks @Roland and @guitarfishbay ;

I'll slow them down a bit more, I did notice a mistake I was making on one lick, if it is a mistake.

It regards Alternate picking, that's what I should be doing on these(I think) every note is picked I know that much, but I did notice that on one lick I played 2 downstrokes consecutively, when should have been alternate, but I could play it faster with the 2 downstrokes, would you try to correct it or go with what comes natural? Are there hard and fast rules that every note should be alternate picked or best to go with how I do it, what feels best?

Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 893
    There are no rules, just conventions. To me Alternate picking is an exercise which helps you put equal weight on each note. Economy picking is an exercise which helps you move quickly between notes on adjacent strings. Then there's Outside picking and Inside picking, which help increase attack and volume of certain notes, and a few others ... They are all conventions, and an easy way of cataloging and teaching knowledge. In practice you just want to use the picking pattern which suits what you are playing, and gives the right emphasis to the notes in the phrase.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Aye, I've never had the disciplined approach (for lead Guitar) and for the years I've been playing I should be Steve Vai standard, but you know, I've just ended up playing like I play.

I think I'm truly a Rhythm player at heart, I am quite disciplined in that. I like to at least try to improve my lead playing though or expand it, so here we go again :)

Cheers.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 186
    Its maybe a good idea to find the main problem areas that stop you getting up to speed ...iff its only certain parts try and see why and what you need to do to make it quicker...maybe make small exercises out of the problem areas...

Iff it all of it you will just need to slowly increase speed looking at minimum movement with the picking hand ...
    Thanks @Barney that is good advice, I have done that to an extent in the past and it did cure some issues, but I may need to look deeper, faster soloing is not territory I visit regularly. It'll be a slog and likely take fair time, but I'll try to stick to it this time.

:)
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 768
    All the above really.

Focus on the areas that you find hardest. Playing what you're capable of won't see you making much progress. Use the type of picking you feel most comfortable with too.