Fretwire

Nickel silver fretwire (2.7 x 1.1mm, tang thickness not given) is pretty cheap at Small Wonder, £2.20per metre. Has anybody used it? Is it okay?

If not, what's a good source?

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    @GSPBASSES suggested using Jescar fret wire because it's harder than nickel silver, but not as hard as stainless steel. The cost of a refret, or even fret levelling, outweighs the original cost of the wire.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    Jescar is a brand name for a company who produce a variety of fret wire, but their nickel silver wire is noticeably harder than some other brands of nickel silver wire, their EVO is even harder than that...  and they also do SS too.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I'm impressed with Jescar SS wire. It feels superb.

Rob
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    @WezV Thanks. I should have said Jescar EVO
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Thanks all. So, is the Jescar nickel silver okay for wear, or is it still too soft? What's the EVO like to work?

Nomad

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Nomad said:
    Thanks all. So, is the Jescar nickel silver okay for wear, or is it still too soft? What's the EVO like to work?
    EVO and Stainless are actually quite hard to cut - the material seems to shear rather than cut like Nickel Silver.
    The Jescar  Nickel Silver does seem harder than many other brands and will stand up to a lot of playing 

I choose to use the Nickel Silver for the most part but do EVO or Stainless upon request

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Alrighty - Jescar Nickel Silver it is.

Nomad

• WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    Nomad said:
    It's worth thinking about what you mean by "too soft".

most guitars in the world have NS frets. A lot of them use a softer variety than the Jescar one so you will already be ahead of the game.  There is some really soft NS fretwire out there so I would avoid going for budget eBay sellers.  Decent fretwire is low cost anyway.

not sure what small wonder sell, but the inlay supplies are good.
    WezV said:
    Nomad said:
    It's worth thinking about what you mean by "too soft".

most guitars in the world have NS frets. A lot of them use a softer variety than the Jescar one so you will already be ahead of the game.  There is some really soft NS fretwire out there so I would avoid going for budget eBay sellers.  Decent fretwire is low cost anyway.

not sure what small wonder sell, but the inlay supplies are good.

I guess 'too soft' means something like 'tending to wear prematurely'. I noticed recently that the frets on my Vintage V100 Lemon Drop are looking a bit worn in places (probably where my favourite sustainy vibratos happen), which, after a bit less than three years, is more wear than I'd be happy with. My old Gibson Marauder took longer than that to look worn, and I played the arse off that in comparison.

Agreed that it's not expensive in the grand scheme of things (about a tenner for a guitar's worth of the Jescar). Not only is it a small part of the overall spend, it's tiny when the time is factored in.

Yeah, I liked the MOP dots from Small Wonder that I used in the lap steel build.

Nomad