Question for Lazy J20 owners

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    KOT
    Yes I did think of that one but not prepared to wait or pay those prices. I doubt it will be much different from what my Deuce can do though. I can feel the comments coming my way now that I've just said that LOL
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Thinking of trying a RYRA KLONE.
    May consider selling the Overrated!??
  • Turn the amp up higher and use your guitar volume more? 
    Believe me I do that already. I do forget sometimes though in the heat of the moment ;)
    I didn't mean it to sound so condescending sorry. What I meant was if you currently run the amp on 3 then boost it with the duece. Why not try running it on 5 and rather than turn the guitar down to 6 for cleans, 10 for rhythm use 3 for clean, 7 for rhythm and boost and wide open for a more saturated lead? Adding another pedal is surely going to add volume anyway isn't it?

I'll happily butt out if I'm missing the point :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JonHosker said:
    Thinking of trying a RYRA KLONE.
    May consider selling the Overrated!??
    Keep me updated :)
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    I absolutely love my cruiser, but I do find it quite fuzzy sounding. It's more of a booster to me than an overdrive. Doesn't really get those open/hollow sounding overdrive tones as much as another "transparent" overdrive. For a long time now, after trying a bunch of drives including Cornish and VL, I usually run either a Tim or Caroline haymaker as a transparent overdrive if my j20 is cleanish and then push that with the cruiser for more. What also works really well with the j20 is a fuzz face. Like my chase tone silver stardust. Sort of cruiser like but more compressed and a bit bigger, but not as defined :)

But seriously, I really think you only need two pedals: a cruiser into a more transparent drive. 
    ruoma said:
    I absolutely love my cruiser, but I do find it quite fuzzy sounding. It's more of a booster to me than an overdrive. Doesn't really get those open/hollow sounding overdrive tones as much as another "transparent" overdrive. For a long time now, after trying a bunch of drives including Cornish and VL, I usually run either a Tim or Caroline haymaker as a transparent overdrive if my j20 is cleanish and then push that with the cruiser for more. What also works really well with the j20 is a fuzz face. Like my chase tone silver stardust. Sort of cruiser like but more compressed and a bit bigger, but not as defined :)

But seriously, I really think you only need two pedals: a cruiser into a more transparent drive. 
    I'm coming to that conclusion too. May the Way Huge could be the one :) I'm in  no rush so I can research to my hearts content :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    edited January 2017
    I just use a Timmy or Klone.
    Turn the amp up higher and use your guitar volume more? 
    Believe me I do that already. I do forget sometimes though in the heat of the moment ;)
    I didn't mean it to sound so condescending sorry. What I meant was if you currently run the amp on 3 then boost it with the duece. Why not try running it on 5 and rather than turn the guitar down to 6 for cleans, 10 for rhythm use 3 for clean, 7 for rhythm and boost and wide open for a more saturated lead? Adding another pedal is surely going to add volume anyway isn't it?

I'll happily butt out if I'm missing the point :)
    No problem. In fact if it was on 5 it would be way too loud for a rehearsal at least. Hence why I'm going for a master volume for my next amp :)
    edited January 2017
    Ok it appears that every shop I know of have now sold out of the Way Huge Overrated. Any other suggestions that are very close to this pedal that I can check out. If it's silly money then forget it. I'm basically happy with my set up but would just like some tweaking if I can but don't want to spend a fortune on it. I think £200 was my absolute max and even then not really wanting to stump up that much

EDIT I'm starting to think that I really should've bought the @ThorpyFX Veteran when I had the chance. Just couldn't bring myself to buy it so near to/during Xmas. I think that ticked all my boxes there
  • garfygarfy Frets: 143
    Looks like they are in stock at Peach £189. 

garfy said:
    Looks like they are in stock at Peach £189. 

I'll give 'em call. Thanks
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I don't have a LazyJ but the Koko is my fave pedal across a number of amps. Never fails to bring a smile to my face.
    edited January 2017
    I don't have a LazyJ but the Koko is my fave pedal across a number of amps. Never fails to bring a smile to my face.
    Reloaded version @hubobulous ? Don't you mind having to step on it twice to get the mid boost a bit difficult in a live setting?
  • garfygarfy Frets: 143
    Your welcome...;)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Reloaded version @hubobulous ? Don't you mind having to step on it twice to get the mid boost a bit difficult in a live setting?
    You don't... it comes on in whatever state it was in when you turned it off last.
    @hotpickups I would seriously consider a Caroline haymaker for overall drive. Joe's has them on special right about now for a mere 139£. And they are really really good and versatile!
    ruoma said:
    @hotpickups I would seriously consider a Caroline haymaker for overall drive. Joe's has them on special right about now for a mere 139£. And they are really really good and versatile!
    That's the thing @ruoma it's not just for overdrive. That is mostly taken care of by the deuce. It's when I want more another overdrive will just make it more compressed rather than more punchy?
    ruoma said:
    That's the thing @ruoma it's not just for overdrive. That is mostly taken care of by the deuce. It's when I want more another overdrive will just make it more compressed rather than more punchy?
    Do you want more volume or more sustain and drive? The haymaker is very open with a lot of headroom. I consider it my favorite stackable "more" pedal, especially in the middle setting. Were I not waiting for a footswitch to solder in mine I would make you a clip!
    ruoma said:
    ruoma said:
    Do you want more volume or more sustain and drive? The haymaker is very open with a lot of headroom. I consider it my favorite stackable "more" pedal, especially in the middle setting. Were I not waiting for a footswitch to solder in mine I would make you a clip!
    I guess a bit of both really. Not massive volume needed though but just that bit more drive/gain without getting mushy. When the Deuce is on and really driving the amp it doesn't change that much when I use my Warthog
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    What you are describing is exactly what a good treble boost would do and you can get one way under £200.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom