Obama, a great man

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
.... who was denied the chance to be a great president. Just my opinion of course.

I think that he had great gravitas and personal dignity, and seemed to be an intelligent man with his heart in the right place. Unfortunately the American system worked against him and left him in a hollow administration due to republican led congress.

Personally I think that he was head and shoulders ahead of all the presidents of my lifetime, and in Michelle Obama he had a fantastic first lady, someone with incredible personal input. Too bad America blew the chance to make something great of the past 8 years.
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 25reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    The man reeks of integrity and this is becoming a somewhat underrated personal value in high level leadership.

Although he didn't achieve all that he set out to do, I think the goal-posts have somewhat moved for what someone can achieve in office. Not having a terror atrocity on the scale of 9/11 and not letting the economy tank to new lows during your watch will probably been seen as a good record for a president from this point in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Couldn't agree more. More or less hamstrung for 8 years. Still got a few good things through though. 

I guess that America didnt like the statesman approach enough though :( 

Trump appears to be as insipid as it gets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    @axisus ; -- nicely put. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I am going to miss the Obamas.
    Barack is an incredible orator- probably the best of modern times.
    Michelle's role cannot be forgotten either.
    Pure class.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    He's probably the only US President I can genuinelly say I have admired in my lifetime - he's a class act in my opinion, and I cannot even imagine the differences we will see between his and Trumps terms in office.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    no
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    As President he is supposed to work with the Senate and Congress to get legislation passed. Instead, he relied on Executive Orders.

If our Prime Minister tried to use emergency powers to push legislation through without giving parliament a say, would you say that is OK?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think he's been largely ineffectual for 8 years as a president. Lovely talker, seems like a decent human, his wife made good use of her platform, but in political terms it's been style over substance, I feel. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    He's probably the only US President I can genuinelly say I have admired in my lifetime - he's a class act in my opinion, and I cannot even imagine the differences we will see between his and Trumps terms in office.
    +1
  • 8 years of people questioning everything about him. And rarely in a way that could be considered anything but downright abusive, towards him and his family and he took it all in his stride, often with great humour. In the most high profile and no doubt stressful job on the planet. And he came across as considered, intelligent, statesmanlike and even, dare I say, cool.

Donald, on the other hand...
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • His legacy is Donald... does not sound so great does it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Ronnie was your man.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Chalky said:
    As President he is supposed to work with the Senate and Congress to get legislation passed. Instead, he relied on Executive Orders.

If our Prime Minister tried to use emergency powers to push legislation through without giving parliament a say, would you say that is OK?

The point is the fact that the Republican-led congress went out of its way to obstruct him all through his presidency, they were not wanting to help with anything, even if it was on their own agenda. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    For some balance

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Intelligent, articulate, definitely seems thoroughly decent. Agree entirely with @axisus. There are few politicians who've impressed me as much as him in my lifetime - we need more like him....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:

And what do you do as President when huge segments of the Senate and Congress don't want to do anything for you at all? Pointless comparing Senate/Congress to Parliament. Their system makes ours look efficient! 

It's worth reminding people what some of those Executive Orders were that Trump and co want to scrap. Over 30 were about climate change. Over 20 were about gun control. Order 13588 was about reducing shortages of prescription drugs. 

So is Obama the evil scumbucket for using Executive Orders on some gun control issues or should we be kicking the Senate and Congress for not wanting tighter gun regulation? 

• randellarandella Frets: 4088
    "Gravitas" is a key word here. Something both the Obamas have in spades, and something sorely lacking from our lot. May, Corbyn, Farron, not exactly swimming in it, are they?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I believe in the bill hicks thing. When you're elected president you're led into a room and six shady figures emerge and those are the people who actually run the country. you're just a puppet.

Obama is a gifted speaker who was like a breathe of fresh air compared to dubya. 
    With the crazy hairpiece destined take over shortly it's alarming times. Obama wasn't loved by everyone in the states though. Even the mention of just changing or looking into gun laws pissed off a lot of people (sadly) 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    DrJazzTap said:
    I believe in the bill hicks thing. When you're elected president you're led into a room and six shady figures emerge and those are the people who actually run the country. you're just a puppet.

Obama is a gifted speaker who was like a breathe of fresh air compared to dubya. 
    With the crazy hairpiece destined take over shortly it's alarming times. Obama wasn't loved by everyone in the states though. Even the mention of just changing or looking into gun laws pissed off a lot of people (sadly) 
    The US system is designed so that one man can't call all the shots and have too much power. This system works well and will ensure that Trump makes headlines for the wrong reasons but won't have too much power so the US will function as normal and the world won't be destroyed in a Trump driven nuclear war.

Every now and again someone comes along who could make a difference but they are stymied - that's Obama. He could have made a real difference to the USA but stood no chance. A shame he wasn't British. Just think what he could have achieved on this side of the pond.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:

Every now and again someone comes along who could make a difference but they are stymied - that's Obama. He could have made a real difference to the USA but stood no chance. A shame he wasn't British. Just think what he could have achieved on this side of the pond.
    Alas, we got David Cameron.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...