Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Variax - Opinions

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I can only echo the comments here - I think they're a good effort, but the concept is flawed.

If you like playing the guitar the system is mounted on, and as has been said - need a 'quirky sound' for one song, they're great.

To me where the concept falls over is that it can't change the feel of the guitar - a Les Paul plays very differently to a strat because of scale length and neck angle/profile.

Let alone factoring in the bend response of the strat vs the hard tail les paul etc.

Modelling can never help with that

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I have a Vx 500 transplanted into a Tele custom. As a live tool in my Stones tribute it's indespensible (open G, acoustic, sitar etc) but outside of those gigs I almost never get it out of the case. 
    For recording I think the only time I'd consider using it over my "real" guitars would be if I needed a specific sound that can't easily be had any other way (ie sitar or quacky strat in my case)
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Trude said:
    I have a Vx 500 transplanted into a Tele custom. As a live tool in my Stones tribute it's indespensible (open G, acoustic, sitar etc) but outside of those gigs I almost never get it out of the case. 
    For recording I think the only time I'd consider using it over my "real" guitars would be if I needed a specific sound that can't easily be had any other way (ie sitar or quacky strat in my case)
    I've known one or two do the transplant bit - generally more serious players who want an actual better guitar
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    I wonder if the VG Strat concept is a bit better.  You can use it as a conventional Strat most of the time with the magnetic pickups but have the option to switch to other stuff when you need it.

The problem is that if you put the electronics in a high quality guitar and they will be obsolete and unmaintainable 10 years down the line.

The other option is some kind of bolt on extra like the Roland stuff.  At least that would be upgradeable and replaceable.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    The ideal evolution of the concept would be a replacement bridge which transmits the required data to drive the electronics wirelessly to a floor board, so it can be fitted to an existing guitar and upgraded when technology moves on.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    The ideal evolution of the concept would be a replacement bridge which transmits the required data to drive the electronics wirelessly to a floor board, so it can be fitted to an existing guitar and upgraded when technology moves on.
    Yep - I think Fishman made a first step towards this goal with their TriplePlay thingy.  Still a bit fiddly though I heard.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Thanks for the opinions everyone.  I guess it kind of confirms that if I got one I'd only be using it for weird/different sounds rather than replacing my other guitars.  I will definitely try one the next time I am in a guitar shop, but for now my I will move my GAS on to another target.
  • In a blind listening test I defy anyone to tell it apart from a strat, LP 335 etc it's as accurate as can be. 
    The problem as some have already stated is the feel of the neck profile. Now if I had the system in my tele I would love. However if you had the same V profile of your fave 57 strat, would you play it like a strat when using LP sounds? By having a bland no make feel to neck it's up to player to play guitar the way the model dictates. Sound wise it cannot be faulted, no it may not sound identical to your 58' Reissue LP but then again another Gibson LP will sound different. 
    It will not replace your fave guitar, but it will negate the need to carry so many guitars.