Akai New Headrush: looks like a Helix! (Best thread version)

What's Hot

Comments

• kjdowd said:
    Voxman said:
    Seem to be two threads on the Headrush - might be worth combining them. 
    No way. One of them's mine, therefore it takes precedence and is much better.

Someone should A/B these threads, see which is the most authentic emulation of a conversation.
    I like this thread. And anyone who likes the other thread is a cloth eared moron. 
    +1

And it was the original.
    Is this the big box version?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowd said:
    Voxman said:

Someone should A/B these threads, see which is the most authentic emulation of a conversation.
    I like this thread. And anyone who likes the other thread is a cloth eared moron. 
    +1

And it was the original.
    Is this the big box version?

It doesn't matter, if you don't have anti reflective coatings on your glasses, you won't be able to read the final 5 percent that's so key to its haunting communication. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    kjdowd said:
    Joe Bonamassa endorsed the other thread. So I'm here instead. 

Have the contents of this thread been gooped? Then I'll listen...
    Joe Bonamassa has gooped on this thread? Ugh!
  • OK OK, I merged the threads :)

Also...somebody's got hold of a pre-production model:

Sounds pretty damn good in a mix to me.
    <space for hire>

Pretty impressive. 
    Especially the way he switched to left handed for the lead sections...... 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    kjdowd said:
    Voxman said:

+1

And it was the original.

I haven't actually heard the other thread, but I've been on this one so I'll tell everyone this is the better one.

Interesting video... but it would be interesting to hear some music being played through this new wunder-pedal.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Owwwww my eyes
    what the hell was that all about with the wobbly camera?
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Cabicular said:
    Owwwww my eyes
    what the hell was that all about with the wobbly camera?

Don't be mean, parkinsons is very serious 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Any idea when this thing will be available? I was considering a Helix come the new financial year, and now this new kid on the block has got me even more interested.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited January 2017
    I'm definitely interested in something like this but I'd need to hear less modern tones to be swayed - haven't heard anything from the Helix that I'd be happy to swap my amp for. I've just never heard a convincing warm vintage rock tone from them. I'd quite happily do away with a real amp if I could.

Can these things be set up to be like a "virtual rig" in effect? ie like a single channel amp model with pedal models which you assign to the various buttons and can turn on/off over the main amp sound if that makes sense ?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    There are plenty of 'warm vintage rock tones' in the Helix as a die hard valve amp user of 30 years I haven't plugged an amp in since I got the Helix6 months ago, and my live sound is better than in ever was

Interesting video... but it would be interesting to hear some music being played through this new wunder-pedal.
    Yeah let's see how it models the sound of a Lazy Jbluuuuuughhleeeah (I vomited)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• TTBZ said:
    I'm definitely interested in something like this but I'd need to hear less modern tones to be swayed - haven't heard anything from the Helix that I'd be happy to swap my amp for. I've just never heard a convincing warm vintage rock tone from them. I'd quite happily do away with a real amp if I could.

Can these things be set up to be like a "virtual rig" in effect? ie like a single channel amp model with pedal models which you assign to the various buttons and can turn on/off over the main amp sound if that makes sense ?
    Interesting question springs to mind, 
    why bother? Given that a large majority of players seeking a vintage valve tone would rather fellate Donald Trump than try a digital option, it seems to that the designers of these units are on a hiding to nothing. 

They are wasting a lot of their time including Tweed and Plexi models considering their target market but dammed if they don't. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    TTBZ said:

Helix certainly can - I'm pretty sure the others can too.

Given that a large majority of players seeking a vintage valve tone would rather fellate Donald Trump than try a digital option, it seems to that the designers of these units are on a hiding to nothing. 

They are wasting a lot of their time including Tweed and Plexi models considering their target market but dammed if they don't. 
    I disagree. I wanted an all-in-one with the potential for very complex sounds, but also lots of good standard sounds too. I use the Plexi and Matchless models the most.

I think the target market is wider than you think - both in terms of who the companies are selling to, and in terms of the tastes of people who buy them.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Agreed @Sporky , for me I wouldn't use a lot of the complex features but it'd be really appealing to have a few great sounds at my feet that don't require lugging a big amp around and will sound consistent for both live and recording uses. 
  • Looks like they included an aux input for playing along to backing tracks. That's a plus and something annoying missing from the Helix. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Helix has an aux. You can easily plug an mp3 player into it with the right cable/adapter.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    Helix has an Aux in. It also has the four loops that you can set up as aux inputs (including in stereo pairs), and the SPDIF & USB It's not even complex to set that up, and you can put the backing track input anywhere in the chain that you want.

It's certainly not missing, it's just done in a much more useful and flexible way than just chucking a minijack or pair of phonos that gets mixed straight into the output.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    OK OK, I merged the threads :)

Steady on grandad, you'll spill your piss bag.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom