Solved: Nothing from the neck humbucker

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    Slug coil on the humbucker is the problem. The neck Scrapyard Dog + neck reads: 1.3m ohms and up - it fluctuates.

Screw Coil - 4.69k ohms
    Slug Coil - 0.9m ohms and up- it fluctuates.

As a test i'm not making a schoolboy error the bridge pickup comes in a 12.7 kohms.

Not sure why it is reading high in Mega ohms - does that indicate a ground fault?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Elwood said:
    Slug coil on the humbucker is the problem. The neck Scrapyard Dog + neck reads: 1.3m ohms and up - it fluctuates.

Screw Coil - 4.69k ohms
    Slug Coil - 0.9m ohms and up- it fluctuates.

As a test i'm not making a schoolboy error the bridge pickup comes in a 12.7 kohms.

Not sure why it is reading high in Mega ohms - does that indicate a ground fault?
    It indicates an open circuit - infinite impedance - with a tiny bit of spurious fluctuating reading caused by stray voltage being picked up in the coil.

Get in touch with Ash, I'm sure he'll be able to sort it out.

The good news is that the switch will be OK, it would be extremely unlikely for two faults to occur independently. Not sure why you originally got some buzz from the black wire when you touched it, just one of those oddities which confuse things...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited January 2017
    Thanks for all of your help ICBM. It's been instrumental in me getting this far. 

@TheGuitarWeasel has been helping via PM. Thanks Ash for the support so far.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    Pickup issue solved, @Elwood returned the pickup to me ... arrived at 9.00 this morning, traced the fault and returned it fixed by the 11.00 post Special Delivery ... under my 'lifetime guarantee'. :-)
    Sorry dude, sometimes these faults can appear ... even though we DCR test every pickup before packing. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    And that is why we use guys like Ash to make our pickups.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Pick arrived back this morning and is back in the guitar and working fine. Thanks again for all the help on here and especially to Ash for the phenomenal service.