ES335 advice needed!!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Lixarto said:
    Lixarto said:
    I've been trying to resist asking what difference the exact model would make in a punk band ...

... but failed
    Something to do with musical snobbery?
    Possibly that. Possibly also the likelihood that any brash style of distortion used in that kind of music would hide any possible tonal differences between models.
    Cf "brash style of distortion" and Old Black :)

I am painfully aware that for some people "punk" is a euphemism for lack of talent, effort, ability and originality , but luckily I'm not so closed minded .
    punk can indeed stand for that, but not of necessity. If it is also characterised tone-wise by what seems to be to be a fairly brash kind of distortion (irrespective of whether the player is talented/able/original or making any serious effort), then you'd expect guitars that are radically different to sound different through those kind of FX LPs vs Teles etc but various versions of the same guitar?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cleans, for me, just need to be clean, warm and scooped.

Distortion... I get a bit funny when people say, you won't hear the difference the difference when you've turned the gain up to heavy.

You do! It's, for me, an even bigger deal than how different things sound when clean. If I play two different teles with similar but different pickups, I could probably hear the difference just as much as when clean, more so perhaps. It is a big deal if your sound is in high gain.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Lixarto said:
    Lixarto said:
    I've been trying to resist asking what difference the exact model would make in a punk band ...

... but failed
    Possibly that. Possibly also the likelihood that any brash style of distortion used in that kind of music would hide any possible tonal differences between models.

I am painfully aware that for some people "punk" is a euphemism for lack of talent, effort, ability and originality , but luckily I'm not so closed minded .
    Yes - I'm arguing your side ;)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Lixarto said:
    Lixarto said:
    Lixarto said:

... but failed

I probably could have explained what sound I was going for better in hindsight ...!!!
  • Lixarto said:
    Lixarto said:
    Lixarto said:

... but failed

I probably could have explained what sound I was going for better in hindsight ...!!!
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

I bought a tokai es135 as a kind of test.

I bought a Gibson 335 to test, then bought the Tokai ES130 lol !

ToneControl thought the Gibsons were expensive ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-ES162-Tobacco-Sunburst-ES335-Semi-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-/261271242400?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cd4fac6a0

nice

trouble is depreciation, etc, which I assume is why most go for a Gibson, including me

I totally agree. I found my MIJ ES Tokai's to be far superior to any Gibson 335 I've owned or played. But in recent years ES Tokai's are deprecating a lot more, whereas the Reborns and high end LS range are increasing, or holding steady.  But I would definitely consider Gibson for high end guitars these days in order to get a return back when I become bored with it. 

• Played a couple of 335's today, my impressions of them were....

The gloss 335 reissue was disappointing....wouldn't stay in tune, didn't play that great and sounded pretty flat.

In comparison, I'd say that my tokai es135 was a better guitar in every way.

I played a gloss top/satin 335 one with p90's in ...... it wasn't as nice a guitar, but it sounded and played great.

• GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    So will your es135 be for sale??
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • Guitarse said:
    So will your es135 be for sale??

Maybe , it's a limited edition one in white with a bigsby .