One-chord-progression songs suitable for jams or encores

What's Hot

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Plectrum said:
    JayGee said:
    Have we got Zombie by The Cranberries yet?

Em | C | G | G/F#

...well, that's the way my bunch do it anyway and it seems to work, although I've seen it tabbed out with the last chord as D/F# in some places..
    I think its more D/F# than G/F# but with the top 3 strings being played open throughout it's hard to tell. During the over-driven parts he seems to play mostly the lower strings and to my ears it sounds like a D/F# there.
    You know, I don't think I've ever actually tried to work out what it actually is, all I know is that I'm starting at something G-ish (or sometimes a G5) and going to an F# in the bass so I just kind of assumed it was an F#/G - this probably comes under the heading of knowing just enough to be properly dangerous... :-)

Anyway, one simple chord progression, most people will have heard it, strong jam night tune I reckon!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited August 2016
    It's based on a i VI III VII; the 4th chord is a D 1st inversion with a load of extra ringing notes.

I assume it's played as all open strings apart from the F# on the bottom string? In which case it's D/F# add 4 add 6 add 9 or something! Someone better than me at chord notation will tell us :)

JayGee said:
    I'm starting at something G-ish (or sometimes a G5) and going to an F# in the bass so I just kind of assumed it was an F#/G

Btw, if you're playing G but with an F# in the bass that'd be G/F# rather than F#/G, but it's a very unusual chord.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    viz said:
    It's based on a i VI III VII; the 4th chord is a D 1st inversion with a load of extra ringing notes.

I assume it's played as all open strings apart from the F# on the bottom string? In which case it's D/F# add 4 add 6 add 9 or something! Someone better than me at chord notation will tell us :)

JayGee said:
    I'm starting at something G-ish (or sometimes a G5) and going to an F# in the bass so I just kind of assumed it was an F#/G

Btw, if you're playing G but with an F# in the bass that'd be G/F# rather than F#/G, but it's a very unusual chord.
    I refer the honorable gentleman to my sig and will go back to just kind of moving my fingers around at random until I get a noise I like... :-)

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I've added Zombie by The Cranberries to the main list on page 1 and discussed the D/F# chord as this week's chord of the week at
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/84561/chord-of-the-week-10-9-16-a-dadd9add11-f-arpeggio-from-zombie-by-the-cranberries
    I took an example at 1:09 in the official video where the bass note, distorted rhythm guitar and clean guitar arpeggio overdub can be combined into one Dadd9add11/F# chord 254030.
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
     You are thechordmeister. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited October 2016
    Paulo Nutini -- "Candy"
    Which you've probably heard even if you don't "know" it (it surprised me at any rate)
    Easy to play but difficult to jam unless there's a singer who's au fait wit the lyrics
    You can get all the way through an intro, a couple of verses, a couple of choruses, a solo, and right up to the outro on:

Am / Em/ G/ D7

And the outro was only tagged on as an afterthought anyway, or I'm a Dutchman.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just heard 'Where is the love' by Black-Eyed Peas on the radio - ||F . . . |C . . . |Dm . . . |Bb . . . || - not sure if it's got enough longevity to go on the main list.
    I doubt this one will last long enough to go on the main list, but I'm definitely going to break it out at the jazz-funk jam while people still remember it from 2014. Just done Chord Of The Week for the D/E in 'Fireball' by Pitbull ft. John Ryan - ||E . D/E . || throughout and the bassline is E for a beat then B and D for half a beat each repeated.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    Already Gone by The Eagles - G  |  D  |  C  |  C  |

OK, I know The Eagles throw in a Bb from time to time on that second C, but can certainly manage without it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd.  C  |  G  |  Am  |  Am7  |
  • On the road again - canned heat
    edited June 2017
    Hollywood Nights - Bob Seger     E | E | A | A | D | D | E | E
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You 
    Werewolves of London (Warren Zevon)
     | D | C | G | G |

...so same sequence as Sweet Home Alabama.
    Hungry Heart (Bruce Springsteen)

| C | Am | Dm7 | G |

(ok, so there is an instrumental break in Eb but I think that can safely be ignored without compromising the feel of the song.)
  • Wagon Wheel.... ( Capo  on 2) G-D-Em-C G-D-C 
    edited December 2018
    Enola Gay    | F | F | Dm | Dm | Bb | Bb | C | C |
  • allenallen Frets: 698
    Shape of you - Ed Sheeran
    C#m F#m A B

bigjon said:
    Down Under by Men at Work

|Bm . A . |Bm . G A|
    ...for the verse. The chorus is | D : A | Bm : G.A |
    edited September 2019
    Tulsa Time - Eric Clapton (originally Don Williams)...

| A | A | A | E | E | E | E | A |