Tokai LP Jr

What's Hot
usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
edited January 2014 in Guitar
Anyone played/owned one of the Japanese LP Juniors. Seen one I quite like the look of. How do they compare with Gibson ones, or whatever,,? I'm just looking, and stroking my chin, at the minute - obviously, if it turns serious, I'll be going and having a go..
Looks like this:
 so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    one. Never had the pleasure but there's a Youtube review of one. The show's called Guitars with Jon Way.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Tokai, Bachuus, Edwards etc have strong followings because of the quality. Low end ranges and high end ranges, but generally very well regarded.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • The build is usually better than Gibsons, juniors are low end guitars after all. The finish is better than my custom shop LP Special but I couldn't find one that felt as good.

But you'll pay almost gibson prices for them. Watch out I've seen some plywood solid colour juniors from Yamaha Japan.
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    Pic in original post has gone for a burton, but I've got a TV yellow MIJ Tokai DC Jr (acronyms much?) from 2003 and I love it very much. Was on the waiting list for one in 2005 but I caved and bought an SG instead - had owned a similar Edwards in the meantime, but prefer the Tokai. Very well made, sounds lovely, great little caveman, no-frills guitar.

That said, I may well have to sell it soon since a ridiculous, over-priced AMerican baritone beckons, but that's another story.

The Gibson reissues that I've played (the £700 ones, not the crazy Custom Shop ones) have had really disappointingly weedy necks. Junior necks should have at least some heft, in my opinion; mine thickens up from 22mm at the nut.
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    I have the cheapest of the range SG Jnrs and to be honest, I can't really fault it as a player, the finish is OK, but the multiple piece body does shine through their Cherry Red Finish.
    Everything works as it should and it does have that classic P90 Roar.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Shame the pic has been removed, was it an SC or a DC Junior?  I do like Tokais, and have and still do own both marques.

@benecol, if you don't mind me asking, what is the neck profile like on yours, I have a couple of MIJ LPs including a 2003 Tokai, great guitar IMHO, so a comparison to that or the Gibson profiles would be great.  (Mine are supposed to be between 59 and 60s profile BTW)

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited January 2014
    benecol said: I've got a TV yellow MIJ Tokai DC Jr (acronyms much?).
    Tsk, tsk... MIJ and DC are initialisms not acronyms - unless you pronounce MIJ 'midge' of course...!!  

An acronym is an abbreviation of initials that can be pronounced as a word eg Midi or NASA. My older sister corrected me on that point about 100 years ago and I've never forgotten it!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    @Lexie1 that looks lush. Only thing I'd change is to a guard with fewer screws. But I'm like that. ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    Tsk, tsk... MIJ and DC are initialisms not acronyms
    Piss. I knew that as well. Feel like a fool…

@chrismusic - it's big, but not massive; my muscle memory isn't that good, but I'd say it's a hair smaller than the Tokai SGs I've had. It's a bit bigger than the '59 not-too-thick-not-too-thin neck that seems to be on all the comparable Edwardses. C-shaped, gradually thickening from 22mm at the nut.

Also, it's either an amazingly well-matched two piece body or a single piece.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2014
    Thanks benecol   :)

I'll go with MIJ as an acronym, as 'midge' is so much easier in polite conversation...   ;)

• 1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited January 2014
     (as any fule kno) 

Down with Skool - worth a lol in anyone's booke!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Better, how?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    I tried one of the double cut ones and thought it was awesome. Seeing how the prices have gone in the last few years I'm kinda kicking myself I didn't pick up a few more MIJs when prices were better. As people have said, the prices now are often more than a lower-end Gibson, which makes the decision a lot more tricky. No nitro on the cheaper MIJs, too, if that's important.

I did try one of the sandwich body LP specials and didn't like it as much. But I think I maybe just didn't like the neck profile as much rather than actually disliking the guitar.
  • Look for a PRS SEOne. Fantastic guitar for the money
    One knob? 

Does look pretty good, actually..!

•  (as any fule kno) 

Down with Skool - worth a lol in anyone's booke!
    Ian Gillan is also a fan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Any_Fule_Kno_That
  • usedtobe said:
    One knob? 

Does look pretty good, actually..!

Great guitar for the money, sure no tone control, but not something I use very often anyway. Stock p/up is fine but replaced it with a TV Jones T90. Can pick up SE One for around £200
    If I see one, locally, I'll be checking it out - especially at that sort of price!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom