Larrivee vs Martin

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited January 2017
    Just to be clear, girlfriend had a guy come round from the housing association and there were no reported problems for damp or mould.

That might have been before we got the new bathroom fitted.

Edit - turns out that was we got the new bathroom, however the guy checked the kitchen only.

-> again.. last night it was on for 8 hours, bringing the level down to 55% but this morning it's back to 70% :s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Just to be clear, girlfriend had a guy come round from the housing association and there were no reported problems for damp or mould.

That might have been before we got the new bathroom fitted.

Edit - turns out that was we got the new bathroom, however the guy checked the kitchen only.

-> again.. last night it was on for 8 hours, bringing the level down to 55% but this morning it's back to 70% :s
    I  am being repetitive, so I  apologise, but in the winter, I am not aware of any reason to have 70% humidity indoors unless you have  penetrating or rising damp,  or you are drying a lot of washing indoors. (I assume you are not running a restaurant)
    I the house is incredibly well insulated and airtight, you may get some  increase in RH (not 70% though I think). Do you have double  glazing with no vents?

I have the mirror image problem:
    in a 1920 house with no damp problems,  run at a constant 22C,  I have to keep my guitar room door closed in the winter, to avoid the humidifiers trying to humidify the whole house. If I leave the door open, humidity rapidly drops to 35% or below
  • It's OK :) 

How can one get rooms treated for damp? 

We had a guy check the kitchen a month ago, which was ok, but it was part of another service.

I do believe it's double glazing on all but the living room windows and there are some small vents. 

I'm hoping after a week it will be ok but I'm starting to have doubts. The room is right next to the bathroom, which does have a fan, but it gets really steamy in there.

I don't know what's worse.. too high or too low. Probably too low as mentioned earlier as it can crack wood.
    these things can be  crazy

our family have the old family 1 storey cottage,  hand built a 100 years ago,  and modernised in the 70s

It had terrible damp, they spent lots of time and money looking at the roof, gutters, walls

In the end then found it was the water main,  under the floor, just slowly leaking

With 70% I'm surprised you don't have mould on the walls

• So am I! 
    I must find out if there's a quick and cheap way to get this checked.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited January 2017
    Guy is coming tomorrow to check for problems.
    If the window in the room is left open all day, humidity drops to 56% but it returns to 70%+ by morning.
    Also found a good two-prong damp detector on Amazon for £20.
  • On another note, one girl in our acoustic trio has a mini guitar like my old Little Martin. Must admit I miss that guitar.. so small and easy to play, but sound-wise it doesn't stand up the Larrivee. A shame.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Guy is coming tomorrow to check for problems.
    If the window in the room is left open all day, humidity drops to 56% but it returns to 70%+ by morning.
    You've got a definite problem if the inside is damper than the outside of a building in Scotland in January...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah !! Well, let's see what the guy says tomorrow..
  • Thought I'd update this.
    Turns out our free external wall coating (a year back) on the building traps moisture a lot more. Leaving the window open for hours brings the humidity back down to 55% or so. Overnight even prior to having a shower in the morning, our breathing in the room takes it back to 62%+. A guy from the council left two data recorders and we have all the data (temp, humidity vs time) and nothing looks amiss, as such. We're moving house, but it was good to get the info, anyway.
  • Got a new hygrometer. This one shows 47% in our new home. The old one was showing 65% or so. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Got a new hygrometer. This one shows 47% in our new home. The old one was showing 65% or so. 
    perfecto TR
    I find whith hi rh in the house I am more inclined to play dreich dour durgey tunes
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    Got a new hygrometer. This one shows 47% in our new home. The old one was showing 65% or so. 
    I always make sure I have 2 or 3
    also watch out for where you put them in the room, and the height from the floor
  • Two or three all of a different make, just to be sure, I'm guessing..
    Tom: does the action feel different on your guitars since you moved?
  • Feels the same, to be honest. I think my old hygrometer was rubbish. I thought I confirmed it was working ok. Maybe the new one is optimistic. But 48% seems a lot more normal than 65%+ ..
    Feels the same, to be honest. I think my old hygrometer was rubbish. I thought I confirmed it was working ok. Maybe the new one is optimistic. But 48% seems a lot more normal than 65%+ ..
    I was just wondering if it had played well in the last house, but not now, or vv.
    Just pay more attention on cold days when it's dry outside or snowy, that's when modern houses can drop below 30% RH
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Wise words from @ToneControl, and please ignore the people that usually chime in to say that you don't need to worry about humidity because of the UK climate blah blah blah. Central Heating is not part of the UK climate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Suggested models of hygrometer? 
    Red ones are better.