Who are Tanglewood

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    MMagicPigDetective said:

My Tanglewood's forward neck angle is beyond saving I fear. 

My old Tanglewood's action seems to have grown over the years.  I sanded down the saddle and things soon went back to how they were. 

Probably time to set fire to it.
    I do need to find an electric with the same neck profile - I love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    @ICBM no, the analogy doesn't work if you choose a cheap guitar over an expensive one!

They were comparing similar costing acoustics from different manufacturers and came to the conclusion that say, a Seagull or Faith at £500 - £700 is a better value guitar than you would get from Martin or Taylor at that price point - if you can ignore the name on the headstock. 

You are more likely to get better woods, appointments, electronics and they are all most likely to be made in China. 

I'll see if I can find the article.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Fuengi said:
    @ICBM no, the analogy doesn't work if you choose a cheap guitar over an expensive one!

They were comparing similar costing acoustics from different manufacturers and came to the conclusion that say, a Seagull or Faith at £500 - £700 is a better value guitar than you would get from Martin or Taylor at that price point - if you can ignore the name on the headstock.
    That's exactly where I disagree. I've never played any Seagull or Faith I like as much as a cheap Martin. Not quite so sure about Taylor, but I think I'd still say so. I like the Seagulls better than the Faiths I've played, but £700 buys you a really good-sounding, if very plain and not made from solid wood, Martin.

Fuengi said:

You are more likely to get better woods, appointments, electronics and they are all most likely to be made in China. 
    Possibly, but that doesn't necessarily translate into better tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree with @ICBM, better woods/materials does not automatically produce a better guitar. The skill of the builder is what counts, as Antonio de Torres proved with his 1862 papier mache back and sides guitar.
    Although, I really dislike the stratabond necks on the cheaper Martin's.
  • I picked up a cheap (£70 + shipping on the 'bay) Tanglewood TFA with cedar top just before Christmas to use for a slide gig I play, but I did give it a go conventionally beforehand. The action is high enough to make playing hard work (but well suited to slide) the neck a little too narrow for comfort and the (bone) nut cut much too deep and causing tuning issues. I sorted the nut replaced the mangled bridge pins, popped new strings on and it didn't sound bad, though a little lacking in both top & bottom end. Its not bad, but nowhere near the sound quality and playability of a Faith naked series.

As a slide guitar it's just pretty much perfect, with all the string energy going into the mids where they can carry through the other acoustic instruments instead of dissipating. The small body is also convenient, letting me sit down to play in a crowded pub instead of needing to stand in order to find room for the dread.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Exorcist said:
    I have a little mahogany parlour, solid back and top. Its sounds fantastic.
    I've got a TW133ASM parlour (same as yours?)
    I've got one of those, great guitar. Paid about £130 quid for it (brand new, was just an ex demo i think). I think they are about £350 now.
  • nick79 said:
    Exorcist said:
    I have a little mahogany parlour, solid back and top. Its sounds fantastic.
    I've got a TW133ASM parlour (same as yours?)
    I've got one of those, great guitar. Paid about £130 quid for it (brand new, was just an ex demo i think). I think they are about £350 now.
    Are they that much now?  That puts them up against a lot more competition, but at the price I paid it was a no-brainer.  Mine was ex-demo/clearance/returned or something as well, for £150 or so, but was immaculate.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    My Tanglewood super folk (bought from @streethawk I think, a long while ago) is awesome for what it is. I'd happily buy Tanglewood again.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited January 2017
    Veganic said:
    MMagicPigDetective said:

My Tanglewood's forward neck angle is beyond saving I fear. 

My old Tanglewood's action seems to have grown over the years.  I sanded down the saddle and things soon went back to how they were. 

Probably time to set fire to it.
    I do need to find an electric with the same neck profile - I love it.

Took my Tanglewood to a luthier last week......the top has warped, bulging behind the bridge and throwing the neck forwards. Fixing would cost far more than it's worth. I suppose I keep it for slide guitar...... but time for a new and better acoustic.....Faith seems to be the one to go for under a grand these days
  • Further to my above post, it looks to me that the cause of the high action on my ten year old Tanglewood may be that the neck angle has tilted forwards. The sound board is sagging between the neck and the bridge. Using a ruler, the fretboard lines up with the base of the bridge. The saddle is already low, so I’m concerned that it may need a neck reset, which sounds like it would cost more than the guitar's value. I might attempt to post a photo tonight.

This article raises concerns about the neck joint used on some Tanglewoods

http://guitarless.com/2011/06/mass-manufacture-acoustic-neck-joints/