Kemp Guitars *2016 Build Thread*

What's Hot

Comments

• Our next stock build (KM-II #2) is getting there... Neck carve tomorrow and then it'll be time to prep for an oil finish. As with the first KM-I build, the (TonePros) Tune-O-Matic bridge has been recessed to avoid the need for a neck angle.

[Pics Removed]

Ooo....now that, I like.

The recessed TOM or the whole thing?

Did this with the first KM-I. Being a flat-top, the string height across the body would be ridiculously high if I'd gone with a neck angle.

The whole thing, mate. The recessed ToM is a genius move, though; not seen that before. My only question is whether it would cause problems with the break angle as the strings meet the body - I'd have thought it would make sense to move the string-through holes a fair bit closer to the bridge...?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Our next stock build (KM-II #2) is getting there... Neck carve tomorrow and then it'll be time to prep for an oil finish. As with the first KM-I build, the (TonePros) Tune-O-Matic bridge has been recessed to avoid the need for a neck angle.

[Pics Removed]

Ooo....now that, I like.

The recessed TOM or the whole thing?

Did this with the first KM-I. Being a flat-top, the string height across the body would be ridiculously high if I'd gone with a neck angle.

The whole thing, mate. The recessed ToM is a genius move, though; not seen that before. My only question is whether it would cause problems with the break angle as the strings meet the body - I'd have thought it would make sense to move the string-through holes a fair bit closer to the bridge...?

Wenge on Limba seems to be a winning combination, great response everywhere I post :)

With regards to the break angle over the bridge, I've drilled the strings-thru at 1.5" away from the bridge on the centreline. I wouldn't go any further back but this works - no less angle than if I was using a stop tailpiece.

Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
  • Wenge on Limba seems to be a winning combination, great response everywhere I post :)

With regards to the break angle over the bridge, I've drilled the strings-thru at 1.5" away from the bridge on the centreline. I wouldn't go any further back but this works - no less angle than if I was using a stop tailpiece.

I'm a big fan of both woods. I've got a black limba Tele and a wenge on swamp ash Tele, both made by Jaden, and they're my favourite guitars by a massive margin.

I wasn't criticising about the break angle, by the way...just getting my head around it. 

Are you at The Guitar Show at the end of Feb? I'd love to try one of these out...
    <space for hire>
  • Wenge on Limba seems to be a winning combination, great response everywhere I post :)

I'm a big fan of both woods. I've got a black limba Tele and a wenge on swamp ash Tele, both made by Jaden, and they're my favourite guitars by a massive margin.

I wasn't criticising about the break angle, by the way...just getting my head around it. 

Are you at The Guitar Show at the end of Feb? I'd love to try one of these out...

No, no worries, I didn't think you were criticising :) It was a good question.

Unfortunately, no shows this year. I did want to do a couple this year but after the recent rebranding, etc, these will now have to wait until next year.

• xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
    edited January 2019

The other 7-string build (Black Walnut KM-II custom) I'm working on is now ready for fret dress/polish and assembly...

•  The other 7-string build (Black Walnut KM-II custom) I'm working on is now ready for fret dress/polish and assembly...

That is an amazing looking guitar - I love the walnut - what sort of ball park is a 6 string version of that (non floyd)?

Thanks!
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Wow,. What can I say. I normally hate pointy guitars but.these are amazing! There's almost an Alembic vibe to these instruments.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  •  webrthomson said:

The other 7-string build (Black Walnut KM-II custom) I'm working on is now ready for fret dress/polish and assembly...

That is an amazing looking guitar - I love the walnut - what sort of ball park is a 6 string version of that (non floyd)?

Thanks!

Comments very much appreciated, thank you.

With regards to pricing, I'm not sure of the forum's policy with regards to answering that publicly so I'll send you a message shortly :)

equalsql said:
    Wow,. What can I say. I normally hate pointy guitars but.these are amazing! There's almost an Alembic vibe to these instruments.

Thanks equalsql.

If only I could charge Alembic prices :# I don't know if I could ever justify that, but seriously, I recently worked with a guy who wanted a bass which was to be heavily influenced by Alembic in shape. Unfortunately, the build was ditched last minute and I never got to build that - so many different wood species, multi-laminate body and neck, etc. The idea for the shorter horn on my KM-I shape was influenced by the body template I made up for that build.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    edited January 2017

With regards to pricing, I'm not sure of the forum's policy with regards to answering that publicly so I'll send you a message shortly

Don't worry about it - absolutely no problem putting prices up when you're actively contributing :)

(I'm actually quite curious too, and for the previous two guitars you posted)
    <space for hire>
  • With regards to pricing, I'm not sure of the forum's policy with regards to answering that publicly so I'll send you a message shortly

Don't worry about it - absolutely no problem putting prices up when you're actively contributing :)

(I'm actually quite curious too, and for the previous two guitars you posted)

Thanks for the info, digitalscream.

In that case, here's what I said to webrthomson;

The Walnut KM-II custom in the photo is costing my customer £1670 - which includes the Floyd Rose, Bare Knuckle Pickups (7-string Juggarnaut set), stainless steel frets, hard case and shipping to USA (approx. £80).

Let us say you ditched the Floyd and went with, for example, a Hipshot bridge or TonePros TOM, and added the shipping rate for UK, you're probably looking at around £1550.

edited January 2019

Juggarnauts!!!

Frets dressed/polished and pickups in (Bare Knuckle Pickups Juggarnaut set with Black Battleworn covers)... We should have this one finished tomorrow and photographed for the website gallery on Friday - I'll post some here too. I'm also waiting for the oil finish to dry overnight on the 7-string KM-II #2 build, so we should have both guitars complete before the weekend

PS. Yes, the fleece blanket with lions all over it... If it's good enough for a baby's skin, it's good enough for protecting a brand new guitar finish!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019

KM-II #2 complete. Full gallery shoot coming soon...

edited January 2019

Black Walnut KM-II 7-string Custom complete. The obligatory gallery shoot will be coming soon... 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent work - they both look amazing!
  •  webrthomson said:
    Excellent work - they both look amazing!

Thank you sir
    edited January 2019

Busy weekend! Two builds complete and over 200 photos shot for the website. I'll only be using six for each build... And here's a few of the KM-II #2 build (more on the website soon along with the Black Walnut Custom KM-II photos)…

edited January 2019

And to end this marathon, a few of the Black Walnut 7-string Custom KM-II build. Additional pics will be loaded to the website gallery soon... I have to go and code them all in now!

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    I'll echo what some others have said in that I dont normally like pointy guitars but some of these look really interesting, you can see the quality and I get the impression these are quite light in weight?
  • grungebob said:
    I'll echo what some others have said in that I dont normally like pointy guitars but some of these look really interesting, you can see the quality and I get the impression these are quite light in weight?

Thank you for your comments.

In terms of weight, KM-I and KM-II bodies are 38mm thick (or Floyd Rose loaded bodies 42mm thick) so a little weight shaved off compared to the average 45mm thick body.

edited January 2019
    Following the recent completion of KM-II #2 and Black Walnut 7-string Custom KM-II, it's back to the bench for a batch of new builds. These include the Wenge carve-top KM-1, all-Wenge KM-1 (below), Black Walnut KM-2 and 8-string multiscale V...