Definition of "lead guitar"

What's Hot
Prompted by the isms that make you cringe thread. Apart from the perceived "difference" between "lead" and "rhythm" guitar parts ... there are roles in other musical ensemble eg "lead trumpet" probably similar to "section principals" in an orchestra, in which the person having the job is held to be more experienced/capable and can be relied upon as the one to "follow" if you're in the rank&file and not sure of what you're supposed to be doing. So is this automatically true of a "lead guitarist"? I don't think so. I've been the one who is called the "lead guitarist" but that's only because it was my job to play the solos and the fills around the comping-style of chord work that someone else did. I wasn't a leader, in fact the band's leader was in one case the "rhythm" guitarist, in another case the keyboard player, in yet another case one of the singers. 
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The guy wot does solos
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So Wishbone Ash had two "lead" guitarists and two "rhythm" guitarists? Why not just two guitarists?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    Bloody heavy.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

A "Lead guitarist" is the one who plays most of the lead/solo lines.

A "rhythm guitarist" is the one who plays most of the chords/riffs

A "Band leader" is the one who is the main person who got the band up and running, and takes most of the decisions to do with the band.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Same as actors whole have a "leading role" or similar. The most prominent in that area or the "protagonist", almost.

It doesn't mean the same as the lead you're describing, but you know that. Just as the lead guitarist isn't the one who brings all the leads with him, or carries lots of lead around.
  • @Bidley yes if you're taking the solo you're the prominent one, arguably with a "leading role"

@mike_l I'd suggest the band leader is not only that but he's the one you follow when you're playing. even if you are the "lead guitarist"
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @mike_l I'd suggest the band leader is not only that but he's the one you follow when you're playing. even if you are the "lead guitarist"

Surely you should follow the drummer for timing*, and the bass/rhythm guitar or keys for chords?

*provided the drummer can keep time...........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• @mike_l yes, perhaps I was thinking in terms of what happens next? middle or another chorus? natch there may be some clues in that there's a noticeably different drum fill into the middle
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Lead guitarist gets the girls I think.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Can't recall the band (and can't be bothered googling it) but there's an album which liner notes showing "lead guitar" "lead singer" "lead bass" and "lead drums". That about sums it up....

But yeah it's a silly term, but I'd have thought pretty much excepted that it's the guy who plays the solos. ACDC is the best example I can think off where it is that clear cut. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    In most bands it's a totally meaningless term unless you get a band like Oasis where one of the guitarists could barely play. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    So is a guitarist who plays chords and solos, but no riffs or fills, a lead or a rhythm guitarist?

That's me…

I've definitely never thought of myself as a lead guitarist - if anything possibly rhythm fits better since I mostly play chords - but really both, or neither.

I discovered I definitely prefer playing in one-guitar bands a long time ago. Saves arguments :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    /\ Angus like he says.

Slash as opposed to Izzy.

George as opposed to John

Loved Def Leppard when I was a kid. Neither Collen nor Clarke was the leader. They just meshed wonderfully and played what was best for the song. They were great guitar weavers like Keith and Ronnie, two more who often blur the lines.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited January 2014

Lead is a chemical element in the carbon group with symbol Pb and atomic number 82. Lead is a soft and malleable metal, which is regarded as a heavy metal

Therefore you can only have lead guitar in metal or heavy metal bands .... QED.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Lead guitar is the one with the ego and the tantrums.

I remember seeing a flatshare advert many years ago in Loot that read: 'flatshare in Archway with lead guitarist, sharing also with bass player and lesser mortal'.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Pete Townshend developed his style because he had to play with *lead bass* and *Keith Moon*  !!!
    I guess somebody had to keep time   ;)

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Grunfeld said:
    Lead guitarist gets the girls I think.
    The winner.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I look at the term purely as the one who does the fiddly stuff (or most of it). I work with the drum and bass dept's to keep the whole thing tight as. The 'lead' is a much better technical player than me, and I'm much better at keep ing to time.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Or summat like that anyway. None of us can do fck all with the singer chap.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Grunfeld said:   Lead guitarist gets the girls I think.
    Only after the singist       (who also has the biggest ego - de facto)

"Pass me another groupie,  this one's full up"

>:)