Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

This birthyear guitar malarcky...

What's Hot

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    ...tis a bit of a bugger if you were born in 1959 :(
    My problem exactly! 
    :(
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bucket;135750" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

1990 anyone?

Nope? No great legendary guitars from then?

*shuffles back into man cave to learn alter bridge songs*

Ibanez RG550. Sorted.

They'd been discontinued by 1995 though. Bugger.
    Ooo good idea.

• ...tis a bit of a bugger if you were born in 1959 :(
    Same here,one P bass would be great!but how many kilo of precious £££?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    I'm a year out with mine. It's not good enough - anyone got anything from '78?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Ooo good idea.

May be because I like that sort of thing but it just strikes me as the obvious choice, I'm kind of surprised you didn't think of it! :D

Suggestions from 1995 are appreciated btw, if anyone fancies helping me to find yet another thing to GAS for. Only thing I've found so far that really appeals is an old Ibanez Paul Gilbert model, which is quite rare and presumably expensive.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    So why not just extend the concept a bit;
    year of conception (not sure if that helps @Bucket)
    those significant occasions which mark life,
    the inevitable crossroads where we took a life changing decision,
    poignant moments,
    come on I am sure we can all find another reason for another guitar, you know that one you have been promising yourself,
    and the year will be just perfect.   :)

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    birth year of 1959 should be no problem as long as you don't expect a les paul

I have a 1955 framus which cost £50, so i have my dads birth year sorted.   Fairly sure my 1930's rickenbacher lapsteel and 1937 regal resonator take care of the grandparents birth years.   the resonator was £400 in good condition, lapsteel less than that but needing new parts (especially the valuable pickup)

Closest to my birth year is my john birch.  its late 70's and I am 1980.  That was also less than £400, but in a few pieces and missing original pickups.   

There is no problem finding a 1980 guitar, but massive issues finding one i want to keep (at a price i can afford)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    edited January 2014
    Hymnal said:
    1990 anyone?

Nope? No great legendary guitars from then?

*shuffles back into man cave to learn alter bridge songs*
    Probably a pre factory PRS?!

No, factory production started in late 1985.

One of these from 1990 would actually be a nice guitar and not that expensive - only the '85 and '86 ones are fetching really silly money so far I think. They didn't do 22-fretters yet though, so it's going to be a Standard or Custom, or possibly one of the rare Studio or Metal models.

You could get a very nice Rickenbacker from 1990 for sensible money too.

My year is '67, so quite a bit more expensive for Ricks… although I could get a pretty decent Fender Mustang or something for not too much by vintage-guitar standards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I had a '68 Jazzmaster a while ago, which was a complete wreck. Now it would probably feel a better fit, should have kept it. Part lots

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    mike_l said:

Nope, can't think of anything I'd want.......

Les Paul? Don't get on with them

SG? See Les Paul

Tele? Don't like them

Strat? Don't like big headstocks, bent-steel saddles and six-screw trems

I'm '75 too, for my 40th next year I have considered bullying wife/family into YOB guitar and Fender Mustang is the best I can come up with.
  • usedtobe said:

me too !
  • When I was at Trading Musician, Seattle, a few years ago, they had a lovely, fiesta red Mustang dated 03/03/66, exactly one week older than me. They wanted $1300 for it, which I would have quite happily paid if I'd had the spare cash. I bet chances like that don't crop up too often.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    edited January 2014
    dindude said:
    I'm '75 too, for my 40th next year I have considered bullying wife/family into YOB guitar and Fender Mustang is the best I can come up with.
    Even if it has to be a Fender you could get a nice Jazzmaster from '75. Like the Mustang, they buggered around with them less than the Strats and Teles. The Jaguar was discontinued in '74 unfortunately. It's also the first year of the mighty Starcaster, although those are going for big money now.

Plenty of other good 70s brands too.

Or you could get an Ovation!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    ICBM said:
    dindude said:
    Even if it has to be a Fender you could get a nice Jazzmaster from '75. Like the Mustang, they buggered around with them less than the Strats and Teles. The Jaguar was discontinued in '74 unfortunately. It's also the first year of the mighty Starcaster, although those are going for big money now.

Plenty of other good 70s brands too.

Or you could get an Ovation!
    Hmm, I'll pass on the ovation thanks, could go a Guild M-75 though, going purely on looks that is, not sure if they are good or dogs and how much value they have. 
    dindude said:
    Hmm, I'll pass on the ovation thanks, could go a Guild M-75 though, going purely on looks that is, not sure if they are good or dogs and how much value they have. 
    70s Guild solids are generally well-made, although some of them suffer from neck angle problems - not sure if the M-75 is one of the models affected. (S100s are.) Not hugely valuable but I doubt they'll get any cheaper.

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Trying to think what was especially good in 1964. Some LP or ES model maybe.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Yeah 78 for me too,did they do comp mustangs then?
    '64 is the first year of the Mustang, Duo-Sonic II and Musicmaster II.

Competition Mustangs stopped in '73 I think.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Bucket said:

Suggestions from 1995 are appreciated btw, if anyone fancies helping me to find yet another thing to GAS for. Only thing I've found so far that really appeals is an old Ibanez Paul Gilbert model, which is quite rare and presumably expensive.
    I wasn't thinking much of guitar in 1995, but my only guess at what might have been around then is a Noel Gallagher Epiphone Union Jack. I assume that doesn't appeal. 

Mine is 1975. A Strat with a big headstock in Austin Allegro shit brown doesn't appeal. 

On the other hand, a 1975 Black Gibson Les Paul Custom is my current dream guitar.  
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited January 2014
    Skarloey said:
    On the other hand, a 1975 Black Gibson Les Paul Custom is my current dream guitar.  
    One of mine too.

@johnnyurq - there'd be no LPs in 1964, they'd turned into SGs by then.

Strat perhaps?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."