Tell me about SG 61 RIs

Right, Ive had loads of Gibsons over the years from Custom shop to vintage and most in between but realised a year or 2 ago I didn't like Humbuckers and liked P90s more so my last HB loaded guitar (an R7) was sold. The other night a mate lent me a 2006 standard SG and it sounded and felt AMAZING. The 57 classics sounded great compared to burstbuckers(I had classics in a es339 and I liked them). 

So, now Im after one, however I don't like the big guard etc and want a 61 small guard WITH a Maestro, but how are the necks on the 61 compared to the standard? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrianCBrianC Frets: 16
    I have owned both and currently own a '61 reissue. I find SG standards have the 50's profile and the SG 61 reissue has the 60's slim taper profile. In my opinion the '61 reissue is thinner depth wise but feels wider across the board.
    Just my thoughts
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    I love the look of them, but find the necks too thin for me. 

So I bought a regular one as preferred the neck on it as has a bit more meat to it.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Nice and slim. I don't like the "50s" neck they do now, which is too thick for me.

The '61RIs are the best modern SGs I've played, by a large margin. Every one has been lightweight and resonant - SGs suit being light, in my opinion. The one with the Maestro balances better than the standard one too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Great guitars, If you are comfortable with the neck which feels very slim to me. Eventually the neck heavy problem with the thin neck (Huh?) got to me and I sold it. But I did seriously think about a counter weight of some sort.

• slateslate Frets: 89
    Bear in mind that the strap buttons on those two models are in different places - because of the 61 neck joint being dfferent- and ,in my humble experience, this REALLY makes a difference to how they sit and feel when playing with a strap on. I had two of the 2013 SG Standards ( which are almost identical to the 61RI's ) and sold them both and went back to the previous model because they both felt uncomfortable strapped on -both felt neck heavy (which is the first time i'd personally experienced this with an SG, and ive had over 20 of them) and they both tilted forwards away from the body too .
    The difference is only about an inch, but that inch makes a big difference (just ask my missus LOL) .
    YMMV though...
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

I have an SG Custom (3 x57s) and a vibrola.  Tuning can be an issue !

• I have an SG Custom (3 x57s) and a vibrola.  Tuning can be an issue !

Ive had vntage SG JNRs with terms before and don't remember tuning being too bad...
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Properly maintained and lubricated, tuning should be stable.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."