Moving from E to Am

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    Evo said:
    The term "b10" made my brain itch Viz!

#9 surely??

Anyway, just to throw my tuppence in the hat, I always like a V7b9 before resolving to a minor so my vote would be a 

Bm7b5, E7b9, Am

7X776X

X7676X

5X555X

That way there's a nice chromatic run down!
    Well #9 is a much more common term, but seeing as it's actually a minor 3rd over a major chord, it's not a 2, it's a flattened 3. So E7b10 is a much more appropriate term. IMO!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited February 2017
    viz said:
    Evo said:
    The term "b10" made my brain itch Viz!

#9 surely??

Anyway, just to throw my tuppence in the hat, I always like a V7b9 before resolving to a minor so my vote would be a 

Bm7b5, E7b9, Am

7X776X

X7676X

5X555X

That way there's a nice chromatic run down!
    Well #9 is a much more common term, but seeing as it's actually a minor 3rd over a major chord, it's not a 2, it's a flattened 3. So E7b10 is a much more appropriate term. IMO!
    I occasionally have these sort of discussions with other musicians and sometimes with students.
    I've concluded that there is no right answer and if either person has a position they can justify then the job of 'understanding music' has been achieved- at least to the level you need in order to play music.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    You are right of course! As usual. I just can't see it as a sharpened 2nd, it just doesn't make sense musically, not to me anyway :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    a little more on the fusion side

coming from E
    B11, G#m7, Fmaj9, Am7

what you end up with is ascending major triads over a descending diminished line in the bass

B11: A/B [x2222x]
    G#m7: B/G# [4x444x]
    Fmaj9: C/F [1x555x]
    Am7: C/A [x1555x]
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom