Thoughts about a cheap bass...

What's Hot
JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 629
So for various reasons I'm thinking about getting a cheap P-type bass (either with P or P/J pickups, but I don't much care about the J.)

Budget maybe £300 - a Squier is probably fine, and I know there are several even cheaper ones around, eg Harley Benton and others.

But... I'd really like a smaller, more compact body and a narrower neck than a traditional Precision, so looking for any suggestions about what's available.

I've noticed the Yamaha TRBX174, and the Ibanez GSR200 (though that has the P pickup in reversed orientation - I'm not sure how much difference that makes.)

There's also the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass, though I'm not sure how well I'd get on with that body shape...

Any other ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23937
    Sandberg Electra VS4, used.

Smaller body in the current generation and a slim neck.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Sandberg Electra VS4, used.

Smaller body in the current generation and a slim neck.

There was a sunburst one on sale for here for a while, lovely looking bass. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited January 2017
    From what you are saying I would look at ibanez or a used Lakland 44-01.

It does sound like you need to go into a shop and try them for yourself.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    How about a Vintage (JHS/Wilkinson)  I have a v1004 spalted through neck active , great bass  . They are discontinued but come up cheap on ebay .  Gear4music has the bubinga version for £379 and they are well worth the money .  The active pickups are very impressive on these.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I've got a gsr200, amazing for the price. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

I've got the short scale version of the Jaguar bass for sale if that's any help ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Sire Marcus Miller V7.

Punches well above its weight and price tag. Passive or Active options and a powerful preamp.

Prices have gone up a bit so you can look at used but Thomann is the distributor for Europe (not available in UK)
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_v7_alder_4_awh.htm?glp=1&gclid=CIyB5Y_WwdECFUsq0wodFBwFQw

• PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    Kebabkid said:
    Sire Marcus Miller V7.

Punches well above its weight and price tag. Passive or Active options and a powerful preamp.

Prices have gone up a bit so you can look at used but Thomann is the distributor for Europe (not available in UK)
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_v7_alder_4_awh.htm?glp=1&gclid=CIyB5Y_WwdECFUsq0wodFBwFQw

You still own one of these chap?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited February 2017
    I doesn't help wirh the body size but the old Indonesian made Standard series Squier 'Precision Bass' (actually a P/J) that I have has a slimmer Jazz neck as well as the extra pickup. It cost me £150 second-hand as is a good solid bass (admittedly, I have upgraded the pickups).
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    SGC nanyo
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Buy used.
    You might be able to put parts together rather than buy a branded bass.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4944
    For some reason, lower priced basses seem to be built to a higher standard than similarly priced six string guitars.  I have an Aria bass, definitely at the lower priced end of the market, but it is very playable and sounds better than the price would suggest.  It is not in the Fender Jazz or Precision league but it cost a lot less than the big F basses....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Hmmm, some aren't so good; I had a Hohner P-bass and it was pretty rough; I bought it for £42 and sold it for £40, so not the end of the world.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    I got an Ibanez SR330 (fretless), recently and it is simply brilliant. Versatile, nice slim neck profile, and impressively well put together. £270. There are plenty of fretted to chose from and I would recommend without hesitation.

I've started a thread about it in here too, if you want a photo and to hear it.
  • A used Cort Curbow?
  • Rocker said:
    For some reason, lower priced basses seem to be built to a higher standard than similarly priced six string guitars.  I have an Aria bass, definitely at the lower priced end of the market, but it is very playable and sounds better than the price would suggest.  It is not in the Fender Jazz or Precision league but it cost a lot less than the big F basses....
    Think a lot of it is because basses sometimes mask problems that cheap guitars have---the lower pitch and fact that most people don't play chords on them can hide intonation problems that might be obvious on a 6 stringer. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    There's a Yam RBX170 just gone for 84 notes on the bay.. I see a lot of them come up and go for well under a ton...
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 629
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far: as I said in the original post, I am specifically looking for something with a Precision pickup (other pickups optional)

So far I've had a look at some Ibanez models in a local shop - they seem OK, but the build quality is a bit inconsistent. Some have the strings much closer to one side of the neck than the other, while some have the strings aligned OK on the neck but not over the pickup polepieces. I guess I can't expect too much at these prices.

What I really have GAS for is one of these:
    http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/jazz-bass/aerodyne-jazz-bass/0254505506.html
    but it's a bit beyond my budget...

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Jeremiah said:
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far: as I said in the original post, I am specifically looking for something with a Precision pickup (other pickups optional)

So far I've had a look at some Ibanez models in a local shop - they seem OK, but the build quality is a bit inconsistent. Some have the strings much closer to one side of the neck than the other, while some have the strings aligned OK on the neck but not over the pickup polepieces. I guess I can't expect too much at these prices.

What I really have GAS for is one of these:
    http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/jazz-bass/aerodyne-jazz-bass/0254505506.html
    but it's a bit beyond my budget...

If you want cheap and guaranteed good quality build and P type pickup, get on eBay and do a search for a Yamaha RBX - check out the different models and watch a few.. don't like it when you get it? Flip it for the same money and lose nothing...
  • I thought I'd responded to this thread already but maybe not...

Yamaha BB414 is an absolutely stonking bass @Jeremiah and you'll get one for £150 or less all day long.