Item that got my attention at guitar show Gryphin Talon amp

What's Hot
koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
edited March 2017 in Amps
I did write this as a review, but sorry did not read review guidelines properly. So posted as a show item that impressed me most.
Sorry for any offence.
Well not the best way to demo or review an amp at a guitar show, but I must admit I was quite taken by this amp. 
To me there are reasons to buy amp simulators, reasons to buy SS or digital or valve, all in good hands will do a good job, certainly good enough to please the listener. 
But to me the whole reason to buy a valve amp is to get that response back that you put in by playing touch. 
Now some amps have this touch sensitive feel, and some don't, the Gryphin does, in spades. 
Just plug in and it seemed no matter what tone I wanted it was there. Not huge amounts of gain for the HM brigade though there is plenty for most classic rock tones, but what kept springing up was the sheer touch sensitivity of the amp, put a load of dirt on and play softly, it's clean, hit guitar a little harder and and it starts to come alive. I don't think I have ever played such a responsive amp in my life, it was quite refreshing and I felt like I truly had two instruments, guitar and amp as you really could play this amp. 
Another thing was the sheer amount of bottom end thump, it was going through a 2x12 cab, but it sounded more like a bottom 4x12 cab, just huge. Tight enough to control it, yet big enough to dispense some serious low end thump for the detuned heavy guys. Would love to hear some slide through it!

It was too loud to have a proper conversation with (sorry forgot his real name) Modulus but he was very patient, needed to be next to that noise beside him, and tried to point out what all the switches and knobs did. I am not a huge fan of micro switches and too many controls, but it seemed like amp was quite simple to set up and get your tone very quickly. But also I got the impression that if you wanted to tweak something, he would certainly listen. 
Now I have been lucky enough to have owned vintage classic amps like old Marshall, Fender and Vox, and I love them all for various tones, but so many amps are based on those that it's nice to hear something that has a tone that stands on its own, as good as anything I have heard and its British
(well Scottish). 
Now I must admit that retiring soon means I am not a buyer, but I hope someone else after reading this, gets a chance to try one and I am sure like me will want one! 
My pick of the show for me. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    Nevertheless, in Taff's case he's been playing long enough, and through enough amps, for me to trust his enthusiasm.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry, didn't realise my mistake, shall I remove post and put it under guitar show subject? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Not sure why you should have posted this anywhere else or why it would cause offence.  Michael (Mr Modulus)  is a great guy, very knowledgably and his amps looked and sounded great!
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    John_A said:
    Not sure why you should have posted this anywhere else or why it would cause offence.  Michael (Mr Modulus)  is a great guy, very knowledgably and his amps looked and sounded great!

Absolutely.

I don't think it caused offence, but it was posted in the Reviews section. I pointed out that one of the guidelines of that section was that gear should have been owned for a minimum of 3 months. Of course, I'm not exactly impartial, so I'm quite happy to wind my neck in! ;)

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I see I thought someone had said it should have gone in the reviews section.I'll wind mine in too ;)
  • I had a quick go on the amp, despite the deafening row from the 'gig' going on at the Simms LED stand, and can concur that it is very responsive to touch and a joy to play. I'd like to try the channel switching model when it comes to fruition...
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    @koneguitarist just seen this now, thanks for posting, appreciate the feedback

cheers Michael