The Fretboard Guitarist Collective - Task 1 August 2013

What's Hot

Comments

• nickpnickp Frets: 182
    @danny69 - I know I said that I was meant to be working but couldn't resist.  what a player !!!!
    @stickyfiddle - me too - my "thing" for the weekend is to record something that isn't a fudged mess of too many notes played badly - with oodles of vibrato
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The dodgy chinese iRig turned up today so might have a noodle later.
  • My attempt

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    This has been up for more than 2 weeks now so I was thinking I might put up the second one if no one has any objections?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    My attempt

Nice work as always Paul ;)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    This has been up for more than 2 weeks now so I was thinking I might put up the second one if no one has any objections?
    Why don't we have a series of backing track tasks or a sticky at the top [new joiners could then revisit old backing tracks]? That way the collective task could evolve into doing more complex tasks as used to happen with the Guitarist Collective. Backing track threads could be added at any time.

I like your backing track - good for some twin guitar track mayhem ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    I like your backing track - good for some twin guitar track mayhem  ;)

Just what I was thunking
    >:D<
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27340
    edited August 2013
    Fretwired said:

Why don't we have a series of backing track tasks or a sticky at the top [new joiners could then revisit old backing tracks]?

Sounds good to me.

If you want to start a discussion called "Index of backing tracks" (or somesuch similar title), then I'll make it sticky.  We (I suggest *you*) could then just update the index with a link to the new backing track each time a new one is posted ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Was splayed on the sofa last night drinking silly cider so thought I'd, ahem, bash one out.

I have a fairly limited vocabulary so I'd appreciate any pointers. :) 
    My part could be lower in the mix too, sounded ok in GarageBand so maybe something happens in the upload to soundcloud?

Anyway here it is...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    @monquixote : nice tone and bends. nice all round really

@TTony : took you a while to come in :) for a rhythm player that's not bad. Maybe shake things a bit more though 

@bluechargeboy : yeah too wet with reverb (specially in the quiet bit) and low in the mix but there's nothing wrong with the playing, really good

@stickyfiddle : for a quick one take that's pretty good, nice vibrato

@nickp : some cool little runs in there, a lot of expression as well, specially on the quiet bit in the middle

@paulmapp8306 : Nice bit of confident playing and sweet little tone

@Longtallronnie : Lovely feel and bends, phrasings good as well

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited August 2013
    Here's mine.  I was going to have a few more go's but decided to post it anyway.  Far too much widdling and not enough thought about what I'm playing.

Dave
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    edited August 2013
    I've enjoyed listening to these so though i'd have a go, a bit rough in places  but not got much time to commit to it unfortunately.

Don't know how to post this like the others...   
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Just thought I would mention that I've listened to everything that's been posted on here. 
    I won't critique individuals as don't really feel qualified to as I'm not really Mr Blues. 

My top tip in general would be to watch the pitching of bends and work on vibrato as I think those are the two real core skills of blues. 
  • agree - personally pitching of my bends, and too fast a vibrato are my weakest bits I feel.  There definitely some of the harder skills to get right.

Q though - I have a heap of BTs that are screaming for this kind of thing.  Can anyone post them - or should a send a few to someone in particular to use as and when.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    Most people here have said they don't play blues so it is good that a good few have had a bash at it. Slower playing like this expose can expose flaws in technique, that's for sure so it can only help us improve.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Agree with the comments.  It's great to practice this sort of thing anyway as I certainly don't listen to myself nearly enough.  It's also very different to playing covers. The other thing is I get nervous every time I press the record button.....  Not as bad as playing in front of someone one to one but you could call it the record button blues.  Gonna try the other one hopefully some time today.
  • manimani Frets: 10
    edited August 2013
    Hi All.

My first post on the new forum, I thought I'd have a go with the backing track here's my efforts:

There's is the odd duff note here and there, it was a bit tricky because of the length of playing the lead but anyway ;)

Here's the link, as I haven't figured out the new interface:

• manimani Frets: 10
    Not sure how the Soundcloud interface appeared.  That's what I was struggling with.

I did a take or 2 with Amplitube.  It was a proper rush job as I had to visit my bro at the hospital so I set myself a challenge of 20 mins or so as I thought I could do with an excercise for once.  Then legged it.  I just normalised the audio from Ableton the interface was edirol ua25.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'm going to listen to these, but I can't spare the time to listen to 5 minutes of all of them! that is getting on to a serious amount of time!! Maybe we should go for 1 to 2 mins on the next one. 

Might even dust me guitar off. promise I won't do 5 mins though!
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013
    I promised to do one, and here it is.  I'm sorry it's late, but my dog ate the DAW.