Electronic Drum Kits

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Trude said:

Buy the kit and leave it where the kids can have a go - they'll love it!

... for 5 minutes. I've had an electronic kit for about 6 years. One of my kids never touched it, two played it probably twice, the last maybe 3 times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd say at the very least you want to get an electric kit with mesh heads for one reason. Those firm rubberised heads in the one you are looking at will KILL your enjoyment of playing absolutely dead. The mesh ones are not too far away from a real kit, they feel nice and responsive and they make a fraction of the noise of the rubberised heads.

It may cost more money for a mesh head kit but playing a rubberised head kit will either stop you wanting to play and mean you'll have wasted the money or it'll make you want a mesh head kit and you'll have bought two kits :). Hope that helps.

(I've been drumming for 25 years just in case you thought I was being a know it all)
    | davisamplification.com | furyofficial.com | My favourite guitar is my American Standard HH Telecaster in whitish |
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    Here's a question for those of you using electronic kits:
    I got a td9k last month with all mesh heads and I'm absolutely loving it. Over the course of the month though I've moved things around and I've found that because you're not tied to having the small and medium toms sat atop the bass drum, I've gradually moved the kick pedal further and further right, and rotated my body position round to the right and laid out all the toms a tad more in a line. This means I don't have to twist my body much, or at all actually. I find the position much more efficient, especially for tom patterns. 
    Question is, should I restrict myself to a realistic acoustic layout so that I don't have to adjust my playing much when using an acoustic kit? ...The way I have it set up at the moment just feels great! 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I spread my electric kit out as much as possible to replicate it as closely as I can to my acoustic kits.

If you are never going to play an acoustic kit then do what you want, but you will get good at whatever setup you have.
    If you plan on moving between acoustic and electric kits then try to have them vaguely similar.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited February 2018
    equalsql said:
    I picked up a Roland TD-1KV a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it. The mesh snare is superb and is a a far better option than the standard rubberised pad for honing your drum rudiments. Nine small footprint so it robs very little space in my man-cave.
    As you can see I don’t rush into things!

How is the TD1kv a year on?

They seem well priced at the moment at just over £400. I could probably sell my Gretsch Electromatic and buy one.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/roland_td_1kv_v_drum_set.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64_30LC-2QIV6LftCh09KgLUEAQYAiABEgJRk_D_BwE

It’s not fold up but the small footprint and presumably less noisy no pad kick drum would be a winner. Does it feel strange to kick into fresh air?!

Previously known as stevebrum
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Trude said:
    my 6-year old ... will be happy being Ringo for an hour or so whilst his toddler sister dances and sings along.
    It might be time to load some Buddy Rich or Vinnie Colaiuta into your Spotify library.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Trude said:
    my 6-year old ... will be happy being Ringo for an hour or so whilst his toddler sister dances and sings along.
    It might be time to load some Buddy Rich or Vinnie Colaiuta into your Spotify library.
    I came home the other day to find him bashing out the groove from Let's Dance with quite alarming accuracy. So, that's Omar Hakim in the bag! 
    He picked it up by himself after hearing it a couple of times in the car stereo. Bloody show-off. Mind you, he's a seasoned veteran of 7 1/2 now, so it's only to be expected!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783

My 2018 drum room.
    I separated out the control room and the drum tracking room.
    The acoustic kit has mesh pads on it (for practice) that I swap out for proper heads when tracking.
    The TD50K V Drums gets used quite a bit.

The two rooms are connected via a single ethernet cable which can carry 128 channels of audio and only use 10% of the available bandwidth, so works fine on a converged network.