Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Let's hear your Pedalboard

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26452
    And an updated one, this time ditching Wall of Sound for the OwnHammer IRs (my trusty combination of AKG C414 and SM57):

I think it sounds miles better with these IRs, which is a relief because WoS was crashing Reaper every time I came to render it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited March 2017
    Is that the Bogner pedal into the AMT and recorded direct? Sounds awesome.

Edit - just saw your post on the other page! This is not helping my gas.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Intro sounds really nice indeed.
    TTBZ said:
    Is that the Bogner pedal into the AMT and recorded direct? Sounds awesome.

Edit - just saw your post on the other page! This is not helping my gas.
    Yep, it is - just stuck the OH impulses on top, no other processing or EQ. Even Drew didn't spot that there was no amp involved, and his ears are much better than mine :D
    <space for hire>
    edited March 2017
    Heh...I figured some people would prefer the clean bit. Crushing high-gain stuff isn't for everyone

Believe it or not, though, that's just the "normal" bit of the Bogner Red with the gain at 3 o'clock - I didn't even engage the boost. There's a mental amount of gain available on that thing, way more than any amp I've ever owned.
    <space for hire>
  • @digitalscream what tuning is that? Sounds really great mate, just goes to prove you don't need massive amps and expensive digital modelling to make sounds like that!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    @digitalscream what tuning is that? Sounds really great mate, just goes to prove you don't need massive amps and expensive digital modelling to make sounds like that!
    Thanks -  it's drop-C#. Although the replacement value of the pedalboard is almost as much as a Helix... :D
    <space for hire>
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Heh...I figured some people would prefer the clean bit. Crushing high-gain stuff isn't for everyone

Believe it or not, though, that's just the "normal" bit of the Bogner Red with the gain at 3 o'clock - I didn't even engage the boost. There's a mental amount of gain available on that thing, way more than any amp I've ever owned.
    Haha true although I am partial to a bit of crush - I suppose I just thought the intro sounded particularly nice, it has body and weight but also airy.. I sometimes think cleaner is harder to get right. Where as the 2nd part just sounded a typical but decent recording of a high gain.
  • @digitalscream what tuning is that? Sounds really great mate, just goes to prove you don't need massive amps and expensive digital modelling to make sounds like that!
    Thanks -  it's drop-C#. Although the replacement value of the pedalboard is almost as much as a Helix... :D
    Thanks mate. Haha, got a pic of the board?

edited March 2017
    @digitalscream what tuning is that? Sounds really great mate, just goes to prove you don't need massive amps and expensive digital modelling to make sounds like that!
    Thanks -  it's drop-C#. Although the replacement value of the pedalboard is almost as much as a Helix... D
    Thanks mate. Haha, got a pic of the board?
    See the bottom of page 12 for a pic The wah's not on there any more, there's a patch box and everything's a bit more spaced out for ease-of use. However, for the purposes of that recording, the signal path is the same.

Signal path is:

Korg Pitchblack -> TC Shaker -> Bogner Red -> AMT F-1 (always on) -> Eventide Time Factor

You could take £300 off the replacement value by replacing the Eventide with a Flashback and it'd sound pretty much the same, to be honest. I just hang on to the Eventide in case I ever get band-ing again, at which point multiple available delay patches will be useful.
    <space for hire>
  • Nice and simple, I love it @digitalscream and that Bogner Red sounds incredible!

Nice and simple, I love it @digitalscream and that Bogner Red sounds incredible!
    Indeed. There are two points:

1 - So that if necessary, I can plug into any old backline if it's got an effects return, and get all my sounds pretty much bang-on.

2 - So that I no longer (ever) have to bother with effects loop cabling again.

Also, I plan to get the Digitech CabDryVR - some of the non-NAMM demos sound pretty darn good. With that on the board, I can run direct to the PA if I fancy travelling light...not only that, but it allows stereo operation with different cabs left/right (it's the only one on the market that does).
    <space for hire>
  • Holy cow that's a lot of gain. Sounds great though. 
    Holy cow that's a lot of gain. Sounds great though. 
    Yup...I think at least half of this new project is going to be a lot heavier than the stuff I've done before, so I'm experimenting using a lot more gain than before. I'm conscious that I haven't got it quite right - getting the tones right when recording is going to be the main trick, because I want to do it quasi-old-school (ie no reamping or similar trickery - record it, and that's how it stays with minimal editing).

I have, however, come to the conclusion that I can get "my" sound from pretty much anything that'll give me enough gain. After that, it's just switching and features.
    <space for hire>
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited March 2017

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited March 2017

@samzadgan - fixed your posts for you. To post an Instagram video, you just have to take the URL in the browser bar and paste that in...the forum software takes care of the rest.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349

Is the dirty stuff double-tracked or is that a stereo impulse doing that? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

Is the dirty stuff double-tracked or is that a stereo impulse doing that? 
    Yeah, it's double-tracked. I was going to use the TC Mimiq for it, but I only have one signal path (ie preamp and distortion) so it would've been difficult. I may get another AMT pedal at some point - probably the C-2 - for quick and painless double-tracking with the Mimiq.
    <space for hire>
  • Holy cow that's a lot of gain. Sounds great though. 
    Yup...I think at least half of this new project is going to be a lot heavier than the stuff I've done before, so I'm experimenting using a lot more gain than before. I'm conscious that I haven't got it quite right - getting the tones right when recording is going to be the main trick, because I want to do it quasi-old-school (ie no reamping or similar trickery - record it, and that's how it stays with minimal editing).

I think it sounds great.  I'm a big fan of the OH IRs too.  The Heavy Hitters pack is great value for money as far as 4x12s go.

If you're using IRs via plugin it often isn't necessary to re-amp if the core tone is pretty much there.  You can just change the IR.  That's what I've been doing for a while now.  Such a nicer workflow than having to reamp the whole thing.