Boss Katana 100 epic GAS...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
Hi All,

I've been watching some demos of the Boss Katana 100 and at £249 it seems an amazing bargain, has all the tones I want and frankly the only thing stopping me buying one right damn now, is PMT and Andertons both have no stock.

Please can anyone either tell me I'm right or wrong here?  Seems a fantastic product and a great platform to improve my playing.
We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    There's a massive thread over on TGP about them that might be worth a read. A lot of people seem to like them and others just say they're good for the money but not a replacement for a good valve amp.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    But it is priced in the range of 1w-5w valve amps, and is far more giggable...?  I've not doubt it isn't a patch on a 30w valve amp for pure tone on it's own, but the flexibility seems amazing.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    TTBZ said:
    There's a massive thread over on TGP about them that might be worth a read. A lot of people seem to like them and others just say they're good for the money but not a replacement for a good valve amp.

Yes, very good for the money but mines on it's way out to a new home today.  Logistics is the main reason, I no longer require 2 amps, but also the frustration was the effects section for live use, there are not enough blocks and you have to compromise which defies the point of having a cheaper do-it-all amp.

They do sound very good, especially for me the clean channel with a bit of internal pedal gain.  Does it sound as good as my Princeton and pedalboard? No.  To get a basic setup of boost/drive, modulation and delay, would I have to take my pedalboard to gigs anyway? Yes.

All the effects are good quality, not top quality but on a par with M series and Zoom etc and the software implementation is good.  They sound really nice at lower volumes and are loud, but not as sweet as a good valve amp when pushed.

But at £250 if the features suit they are a lot of amp for the money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But it is priced in the range of 1w-5w valve amps, and is far more giggable...?  I've not doubt it isn't a patch on a 30w valve amp for pure tone on it's own, but the flexibility seems amazing.

Ironically, it was the flexibility that was a bit of a let down to me.  I just wanted to set up a Blues Driver, Univibe and delay, then get the additional foot pedal to put them on/off to taste but you can't do it without touching the amp and either losing the delay or the Blues Driver.

They do a lot so I don't want to focus too much on what they can't do, because they are great amps, but could not easily achieve my basic requirement for live use.

edited March 2017
    See, and this is quite depressing to admit, but I dont play live and I dont really have, ahem, friends... and my wife and kids aren't about ot learn.

So its me on my lonesome and it just feels like all the amp I'll need.  To be honest if I got in a band and started playing gigs I'd be so happy id happily hit my savings up for a whacking great valve amp.

Edit:  Could get myself the 50w from Amazon - has anyone tried the 50w and is it a good balance between home use and giggability?

Thanks
  • ChristopheChristophe Frets: 62
    edited March 2017
    I have the 50 and I'm certainly not a gigging guitarist but it's great for home use at low (0.5w) and high volumes - it is fecking loud on 50w. A lot of amp for £165
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Nothing wrong with only playing at home and the Katana is great for home use, but I think either have enough power for if you ever get out and play. 

For me, the 50 is just a bit better size wise for around the house, but I have not tried it live.  The 100 was plenty loud enough on 50w mode for playing with a drummer, not sure if that is exactly the same as the 50w amp.

Just having a last go of mine side by side with my Princeton reverb, the clean sounds at house volume can be set almost identical.  There are some lovely sounds in this amp.  In fact I almost prefer the Katana.  May be I'm getting rid of the wrong amp :#

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

In fact I almost prefer the Katana.  May be I'm getting rid of the wrong amp :#

Haha - I can think of no higher recommendation!
  • beowulfbeowulf Frets: 44
    edited March 2017
    See, and this is quite depressing to admit, but I dont play live and I dont really have, ahem, friends... and my wife and kids aren't about ot learn.

So its me on my lonesome and it just feels like all the amp I'll need.  To be honest if I got in a band and started playing gigs I'd be so happy id happily hit my savings up for a whacking great valve amp.

Edit:  Could get myself the 50w from Amazon - has anyone tried the 50w and is it a good balance between home use and giggability?

Thanks
    Ha this is me exactly, keep umming and ahhing about gig-ability, but as you say if I ever was in that situation then a) it'd probably do fine for the first few, and b) if I got past the first few I'd be more than happy to buy something more suited.

And it's not depressing to admit, I'm 26 and have been playing on-off for 12 years and would consider myself not anywhere near to gigging. Just keep at it.
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    My son has the 100 1x12 combo you speak of.

I think it sounds superb.  The footswitch is an essential (expensive) option but worth it.

He is building a great sounding rig as he uses an SD1, DS1 into the front.  

He also tried my DD7, DM2W and CH1 in the FX loop and they also sounded fantastic. (You can remotely switch the FX loop on and off using the footswitch).

I see it is a great sounding amp with the built in effects being a bonus as you can expand it as your needs grow.

Would I replace my Jetcity and Blackheart valve amps with one?  Probably not but I would not rule it out in the future.

I have also heard it live with a guitarist using an ME70 for effects and yes, it sounded great in the band mix.

I suggest trying one if you can.  The 50W version might be a little limiting.

Oh, and the editing software is very good and easy to use as well.

Cheers

I suggest trying one if you can.  The 50W version might be a little limiting.

Hmm.. I was pretty much set on the 50w as I could get it delivered Saturday, no-one seems to have the 100w in stock currently who can give me next day free delivery, except for those jacking up the price.

Very tempted to buy - I'm almost after someone to tell me not to at the minute!

beowulf said:
    Ha this is me exactly, keep umming and ahhing about gig-ability, but as you say if I ever was in that situation then a) it'd probably do fine for the first few, and b) if I got past the first few I'd be more than happy to buy something more suited.

And it's not depressing to admit, I'm 26 and have been playing on-off for 12 years and would consider myself not anywhere near to gigging. Just keep at it.
    I think we are more common that we both probably think.  I love playing guitar and I love guitar based music and as a community I think guitarists can be pretty accepting of the fact we are all in it for the love of it, regardless of raw talent.

That said, I was being ten-thumbed in a guitar shop (that can remain nameless, they are normally really good) the other week, trying some little valve amps which ultimately I didn't like,  and some of the staff were actually a bit funny.  They didn't mean anything by it but it does really hurt your confidence.

I'm 35 almost 36, to be honest I shouldn't care what anyone thinks who isn't my direct employer or my kids, but I guess I really care about guitar playing.

Back on-topic, thats kind of what I'm after in an amp, something that like some of my guitars just inspires me to plug in and make some tones, and the Katana just seems to be a good fit.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    @darthed1981 get the Katana. Do your stuff at home. As long as you enjoy it, sod everyone else :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    As ive mentioned in another Katana thread, I have the 50w and absolutely love it. Ill be trying it out at a jam session tonight with a full band to see how it copes.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Another home player, I tried the 100 watter after reading some of the comments in that huge TGP thread.  It sounds great but for me lacked... something.  Really can't put my finger on it, it's subtle but enough for me to stick with my Marshall.

Still tempted to buy one in case my cab is the difference, it would be the only way to know for certain.

If I gigged I would buy one in a heartbeat, it would be superb for live work, with no fear of valves going, etc.
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    I have a KN50(well actually i have 2 now =),i use the KN50 for gigging,but i've only done a handfull of gigs with it,so my experience with it is limited,but here goes.
    I have done 4 small pub gigs,with our 3 piece rock/pop/blues band,with a bit of a heavy hitter drummer(the loudest drummer i've ever played with & i'm old !!) & the KN50 has coped with this no problem,1 gig was on 25w mode,the other 3 on 50w & pretty well maxed out,no problems.
    But last weekend we played in a big(for us)cabaret room & the stage sound of the KN50 was dismal,had to mic it & apparently it sounded good in the PA,but was crappy on stage,no idea why I have a feeling with it being so open backed it's very room fussy.
    But on our pub gigs,it's been great I have no hesitation to carry on using it,but as i said i have bought a 2nd KN50(Gumtree =)),because i nearly always use 2 amps,i can't imagine finding a better small combo for the price & for quite a bit more.
    On TGP the KN50 gets a bit of a kicking in comparison to the KN100,but in the shop i preferred the KN50 & up to now it's been good enough for me.
    Ordered myself a Katana 50 hopefully being delivered Saturday :)
  • clarkefan said:
    Another home player, I tried the 100 watter after reading some of the comments in that huge TGP thread.  It sounds great but for me lacked... something.  Really can't put my finger on it, it's subtle but enough for me to stick with my Marshall.
    This is exactly my experience. I bought the 50 the other day because I wanted something to stick in my bedroom to play late at night as my Marshall SL5 is a bit loud at night, it's more of a day time practice amp. The Katana 50 is perfect. It has an amazing set of tones, great flexibility and functionality and it feels good to play...

...but I don't like it. I'd rather play my Slash amp at a fizzy, unflattering volume (I lie, that amp is never fizzy but it sounds better cranked a little). To me that amp just has a mojo that the katana lacks. The katana is too polished, too good. It's probably all in my head but I can't escape it.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    clarkefan said:
    This is exactly my experience. I bought the 50 the other day because I wanted something to stick in my bedroom to play late at night as my Marshall SL5 is a bit loud at night, it's more of a day time practice amp. The Katana 50 is perfect. It has an amazing set of tones, great flexibility and functionality and it feels good to play...

...but I don't like it. I'd rather play my Slash amp at a fizzy, unflattering volume (I lie, that amp is never fizzy but it sounds better cranked a little). To me that amp just has a mojo that the katana lacks. The katana is too polished, too good. It's probably all in my head but I can't escape it.
    Yes the Katana is VERY clear/precise & can be a bit matter of fact,i think this is 1 of the reasons it works well for Band gigging.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Well...last nights jam went well. The drummer likes to smash the absolute shit out of his kit, so I had the Katana on the 50w mode and it coped brilliantly. In fact, I thought at the time that it could have 'probably' been ok on the 25w mode, but I was too busy enjoying myself to bother changing it.

It was a mix of styles last night, from Rob Zombie, Corrosion of Conformity, Muse and Black Label Society all the way to an attempted cover of Hungry like the wolf (by Duran Duran for all the younger forum members :))

I am more and more impressed by this amp every time I use it. I am of course only 18 months into my playing, and have little to no experience of the good/classic valve amps, so its difficult for me to fully understand where some of you more experienced players are coming from with regards to the 'feel' you get from playing one of these in comparison with a nice valve amp. Maybe one day Ill have the cash (and a sound proof room to keep the Wife happy) to try them properly for myself.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom