Boss Katana 100 epic GAS...

What's Hot

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited March 2017
    See, and this is quite depressing to admit, but I dont play live and I dont really have, ahem, friends... and my wife and kids aren't about ot learn.

So its me on my lonesome and it just feels like all the amp I'll need.  To be honest if I got in a band and started playing gigs I'd be so happy id happily hit my savings up for a whacking great valve amp.

Edit:  Could get myself the 50w from Amazon - has anyone tried the 50w and is it a good balance between home use and giggability?

Thanks
    Seriously, you've done the right...I've been having fun since I got mine two months ago.  Novelty hasn't warn off.  I've got real amps as well (Marshall, Friedman...).  It's very easy to forget you're not on a valve amp IME.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I'm looking forward to getting my Katana very much.  I know Chappers and The Captain always give almost everything a positive review (thye are ultimately trying to sell it to you) but are rarely as glowing as they were with the Katana.

With all the positives I've heard in this thread, fingers crossed it turns up for some weekend playing :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Local Irish guitarist Anto Drennan is touring one with Mike and The Mechanics.  Not sure how Boss have pulled this one off TBH.
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    Some people will do anything for money B)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Just got rid of my valve amp for the 50w Katana. Fed up of treating the valve jobbie with kid gloves and the fairly ordinary sounds that it gave. I want something reliable and cheap but sounds as good as my valve amp.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    See, and this is quite depressing to admit, but I dont play live and I dont really have, ahem, friends... and my wife and kids aren't about ot learn.

So its me on my lonesome and it just feels like all the amp I'll need.  To be honest if I got in a band and started playing gigs I'd be so happy id happily hit my savings up for a whacking great valve amp.

Edit:  Could get myself the 50w from Amazon - has anyone tried the 50w and is it a good balance between home use and giggability?

Thanks
    Are you me?!?!!'
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962

Thanks
    Are you me?!?!!'
    emo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I got a 50 a few months ago because of the light weight and the 50 watts, very happy with it.  I play with a 5 piece that has no drums or bass but is still loud(2 electric guitars, synth, vocals and various hand drums, harmonica etc...).  If I was in a band with a full drum kit I would want to either have the 100 or go into the board but so far I'm really liking this amp.  A simple on/off footswitch is all you need to access the channel switching option, I use it to go from a reverb/chorus setting to the octave divider.   Of course tubes rule, but at twice the price and 3 times the weight I'll settle for this amp.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    timmysoft said:

Thanks
    Are you me?!?!!'
    emo
    Actually, I'm a really upbeat guy, I just think there are a lot of people who are home players as something of a hobby like me, rather than aiming to be professional musicians.  Would love to do some gigging if I found some like-minded people however.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited March 2017
    Gigging is overrated anyway, especially if you're in a typical cover band where you mostly play to a few unappreciative people in a crap pub. The bigger gigs at events and functions are better though. Luckily for me my band are more interested in getting an album written and recorded then see what gigs come from that, if any.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    Gigging is overrated anyway, especially if you're in a typical cover band where you mostly play to a few unappreciative people in a crap pub. The bigger gigs at events and functions are better though. Luckily for me my band are more interested in getting an album written and recorded then see what gigs come from that, if any.

It's easy to get jaded but even that's really exciting if you haven't done it before

Well I've got my Katana!

Had a noodle for a bit, very impressed so far, so much amp for £169, and makes some great tones.
    edited March 2017
    TTBZ said:

It's easy to get jaded but even that's really exciting if you haven't done it before

That's true, I enjoyed maybe the first year of it, but 3-4 years in a cover band was too much!
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    TTBZ said:
       The band I'm in is currently writing and will be recording soon, we only play a short gig every couple of months on bills with similar acts.  While that is a lot of fun I also go to open jams at local bars, one in particular that favors blues and is packed everytime.  I get to pull off some blues leads and quite often the bass player gets me to take over for him while he takes a smoke break.  Way more fun than playing a cover band gig(and I've done lots of those).  If you've never been to one of these, go and check it out just to see what it's about, you might find yourself saying, "I can do that" once you see what other people do. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

If you've never been to one of these, go and check it out just to see what it's about, you might find yourself saying, "I can do that" once you see what other people do. 
    Anyone know of any of these around Northants?

I do know a couple of folk music themed ones, but unless it's really filthy I don't like folk music...
    edited March 2017
    If you've never been to one of these, go and check it out just to see what it's about, you might find yourself saying, "I can do that" once you see what other people do. 
    Anyone know of any of these around Northants?

I do know a couple of folk music themed ones, but unless it's really filthy I don't like folk music...
    I'm in Northants as well, don't think there's much about here! The Hut in Corby does jam nights and I think there might be one somewhere in Northampton once a week. Sawyers in Kettering used to be the best jam night nearby but that closed down ages ago :(
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    TTBZ said:

That's true, I enjoyed maybe the first year of it, but 3-4 years in a cover band was too much!
    Yeah i did it for about 8 years before becoming completely jaded.
  • I'm in my seventh year of gigging in covers bands in crap pubs and thoroughly enjoying it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    edited March 2017
    Jaded ?too much?how old are you guys?.
    I'm 72 in a couple of months,did my 1st pub gig(paid)when i was 14 & have been doing it ever since & still am,what else am i going to do on Friday & Saturday?,go to the pictures or play dominoes?.
    Of course there's always the motivation that my long suffering wife is glad to see the back of me
    Crappy covers in crappy pubs?,love it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841

Thanks
    Are you me?!?!!'
    Haha.. I don't really have friends either.. I know, hard to believe, isn't it..  =)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.