Short Scale Basses - now NBD

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Paul_C said:
    dindude said:
    Paul_C said:

My Squier jag bass is still for sale . . . ;)

Priced higher than a new one and with no photos, I reckon it will still for sale for a while too...

I confess I'm not aware of current prices (or what I was asking for in my post, TBH), so asking for a "best price inc.shipping" might have helped had you been interested - and if you really need a couple of pics taken on a phone which tell you nothing much other than it exists then ask for some ;)
    Don't worry dude, I'm actually sorted now, new bass incoming, and I had my tongue firmly in my cheek when I replied to you. I actually assumed your ad was one of those done to appease the wife, you know the "I'm really trying to sell it honestly but no ones taking".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27967
    Sporky said:

Buy a Stingray.

It might as well be the only bass, because it's the best bass by such an enormous margin.
    Yeah, that's true. If you want to sound like you are stuck in the 80s.

Otherwise, get a P
    So you can sound like you're stuck in the 70s? ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Now NBD.

I can't remember spending this little on an instrument since I bought my first guitar, a second hand Marlin Sidewinder for £50 back in about 1988!

It turns out £160 buys a pretty amazing amount of bass these days. Seriously impressed with everything about it.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/IMG_1553_zps0qqxox8r.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    +wis for sticking to your guns. That should do great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
    Very cool
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:

Buy a Stingray.

It might as well be the only bass, because it's the best bass by such an enormous margin.

Otherwise, get a P
    So you can sound like you're stuck in the 70s? ;)
    What? I AM stuck in the 70s ;)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Nice :)
    @dindude - full report please ;)
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Sporky said:

Depends on the sound you are after. Want that classic bass thump? Get a Precision. Want something more rounded and defined - like a Motown or funk sort of sound? Get a Jazz. Or you could get a PJ which is a bit of both.
    Don't listen to this.

Buy a Stingray.

Otherwise, get a P

Hehe Brill you are def one of my favourite posters on here ,even tho you clearly think it's still 1967. 

Don't limit yourself to fenders, they're very good but man so many great basses these days, Consider an active for huge tone shaping, warwick, ibanez, musicman etc make some beautiful sounding and playing basses and all on par (cough** usually better*cough) than a fender :D 
    You'll have to bear with me as I'm not a basser normally.

I went with the Ibanez over the Squier as a). It was available and b). in my experienice Ibanez are slightly better even than Squier at building a quality instrument at the entry level.

However, build wise I'm still pretty stunned with it. Can't find anything to complain about. Neck joint is tight, the neck is a nice Chucky profile (Squiers often feel a bit student like), with a nice satin finish. Ok the rosewood isn't the best grade and the frets aren't shiney, but the fretboard edges even have a little rounding so it's perfectly comfortable.

Seems to hold its tuning fine, machines feel fairly positive in their action.

The black finish is very good and not too plasticky. Supposedly the body is mahogany and there is some neck dive but I'll be playing seated so it's no real issue.

My only point of comparison is my guitars which are all quality USA things, and whilst obviously not on the same level, it's not embarrassed at all. Far better than most Gibsons I've owned!

Acoustically it has a nice vibrant ring to it. Plugged in, well I have no bass amp so I'm into the DI on my audio interface into Yamaha monitors and it sounds great. Not too plinky at all, enough solid low end for what I need. Really please I went with the short scale tbh as it just feels so comfortable to play and it still sounds great.

First impressions are such that I'm not inclinded to change anything on it (unlike every one of my guitars however much they cost!), probably because I don't have such strong opinions or standards when it comes to bass, but also because it fulfils my brief perfectly for £160.

Job done.

Hehe Brill you are def one of my favourite posters on here ,even tho you clearly think it's still 1967. 

Don't limit yourself to fenders, they're very good but man so many great basses these days, Consider an active for huge tone shaping, warwick, ibanez, musicman etc make some beautiful sounding and playing basses and all on par (cough** usually better*cough) than a fender :D 
    The LSD was better in '67. You had to be there, man. (However, I wasn't...er...)

Don't worry, I'm not an obsessive Fender bass type. 

I have a Stingray as well - which I love, and is part of the reason I enjoy winding @Sporky up about it so much :)

On a serious note - I have a real hankering for an Ibanez - one of those higher end natural wood ones - mmm, look fab. Also, I would like to try a violin-style just to see how tubby and thumpy it is, and I saw a mid-60's Hofner Senator recently that was hard to walk away from.. Of course, my first bass was a Peavey T-40 (I say mine - I borrowed it) 

Never got on with Warwicks. Dunno why, just left me cold. I have a list of tryouts as well - Lakland, Status, Alembic.. it goes on and on. 
    dindude said:

I went with the Ibanez over the Squier as a). It was available and b). in my experienice Ibanez are slightly better even than Squier at building a quality instrument at the entry level.

However, build wise I'm still pretty stunned with it. Can't find anything to complain about. Neck joint is tight, the neck is a nice Chucky profile (Squiers often feel a bit student like), with a nice satin finish. Ok the rosewood isn't the best grade and the frets aren't shiney, but the fretboard edges even have a little rounding so it's perfectly comfortable.

The black finish is very good and not too plasticky. Supposedly the body is mahogany and there is some neck dive but I'll be playing seated so it's no real issue.

My only point of comparison is my guitars which are all quality USA things, and whilst obviously not on the same level, it's not embarrassed at all. Far better than most Gibsons I've owned!

Acoustically it has a nice vibrant ring to it. Plugged in, well I have no bass amp so I'm into the DI on my audio interface into Yamaha monitors and it sounds great. Not too plinky at all, enough solid low end for what I need. Really please I went with the short scale tbh as it just feels so comfortable to play and it still sounds great.

First impressions are such that I'm not inclinded to change anything on it (unlike every one of my guitars however much they cost!), probably because I don't have such strong opinions or standards when it comes to bass, but also because it fulfils my brief perfectly for £160.

Job done.
    Brilliant. Glad you like it! Sounds like it will do just the job you need it to. 

If you're ever up Peterborough way, drop in with it and you can crank it through a whopping big bass amp to see what it's like.. 

For DI sounds - if you wanted a bit of tonal grunt (assuming you aren't doing PC based modelling) there's some fab preamp pedals which would really make it sparkle - like the Darkglass B3K, the Aguilar Tonehammer, or even the Ampeg Classic Analog bass preamp. You'll get some really nice tonal variation from one of those..!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27967
    I have a Stingray as well - which I love, and is part of the reason I enjoy winding @Sporky up about it so much :)

I thought I was the one doing the winding up!

Ahem.

Anyways, while @dindude did not buy a Stingray, he has bought a very handsome instrument. One of the new Talman ones I think?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:

I thought I was the one doing the winding up!

Ahem.

Anyways, while @dindude did not buy a Stingray, he has bought a very handsome instrument. One of the new Talman ones I think?
    I've got to say, both short scale and Ibanez intrigues me. I've never tried either, but they are both on the list now..
    dindude said:

Job done.
    Brilliant. Glad you like it! Sounds like it will do just the job you need it to. 

If you're ever up Peterborough way, drop in with it and you can crank it through a whopping big bass amp to see what it's like.. 

For DI sounds - if you wanted a bit of tonal grunt (assuming you aren't doing PC based modelling) there's some fab preamp pedals which would really make it sparkle - like the Darkglass B3K, the Aguilar Tonehammer, or even the Ampeg Classic Analog bass preamp. You'll get some really nice tonal variation from one of those..!
    Cool, thanks. And yes, was thinking about preamps so will have a look, although I'm determined that bass doesn't t become the new rabbit hole!
    dindude said:

Cool, thanks. And yes, was thinking about preamps so will have a look, although I'm determined that bass doesn't t become the new rabbit hole!
    Yeah, that is a danger.

I'm just planning a Bass Pedal board at the moment. Thought I'd need maybe 3 or 4 pedals on it. Bah. Once I put wireless receiver on, tuner, a decent preamp or two for different amp sounds, an OD, a Fuzz, a reverb, a delay, a chorus etc. etc. 

My Helix does a great job with bass, and I suspect the soon-to-arrive desktop app will be the same. Boss also does a decent Bass multi-effects unit for Bass which pops up on eBay or in basschat classifieds from time to time. 

Wouldn't want you to miss out on some classic bass amp goodness to really rock up your new purchase ;)
    dindude said:

Yeah, that is a danger.

I'm just planning a Bass Pedal board at the moment. Thought I'd need maybe 3 or 4 pedals on it. Bah. Once I put wireless receiver on, tuner, a decent preamp or two for different amp sounds, an OD, a Fuzz, a reverb, a delay, a chorus etc. etc. 

My Helix does a great job with bass, and I suspect the soon-to-arrive desktop app will be the same. Boss also does a decent Bass multi-effects unit for Bass which pops up on eBay or in basschat classifieds from time to time. 

Wouldn't want you to miss out on some classic bass amp goodness to really rock up your new purchase ;)
    The ampeg one looks good, and isn't more expensive than the bass itself! I like simple things, and that looks as simple as a simple thing.
    dindude said:

The ampeg one looks good, and isn't more expensive than the bass itself! I like simple things, and that looks as simple as a simple thing.
    Yes, for some nice fat, warm amp tone to colour the bass sound I reckon it would be perfect. It's on my shortlist to get, as I also like the simplicity of it..
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I played a hofner hollow 50s bass on my friends shop, tubby is exactly how I would describe it, ok for run of the mill bassery but  not versatile at all, and @bridgehouse totally agree about warwick I had a German corvette, it ws nice but the neck wasn't that great  and just didn't do it for me. 
    I played a hofner hollow 50s bass on my friends shop, tubby is exactly how I would describe it, ok for run of the mill bassery but  not versatile at all, and @bridgehouse totally agree about warwick I had a German corvette, it ws nice but the neck wasn't that great  and just didn't do it for me. 
    I kinda like the tubby Hofner sound. I'm a flatwounds man, myself - and I would imagine that a set of TI's on a Hofner would be the ultimate in tubby-ness. Having said that, I suspect that they would be like floppy rubber bands as well. 

Meant to say - there's a Ric in my future too - if not, I suspect @ICBM would start sending me abusive mail. I'd like a vintage 4001, but suspect I will end up with a modern 4003...