Incoming - Bass Pedal Board

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
Uh, so I just ordered a Pedaltrain Classic 1, and a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 plus...

What's going on it?

SmoothHound Receiver
Polytune
Ampeg SCR-DI

As a separate loop using the Amp's FX send/return:
TC Corona Chorus
TC The Prophet Delay
TC Skysurfer Reverb

Now, I've got a couple of OD/Fuzz pedals that I would like to play with - so after the Ampeg SCR-DI and out to Amp's main input I'm going to experiment with:

Bad Monkey
EH Nano Muff

Could be interesting, this..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've got a Pedaltrain, but the Voodoo power supplies are bloddy expensive, so I've got a cheapie running off a wall-wart for the moment.

Mine's got a Roberts tuner, a SansAmp, an Aguilar octave divider, a Space Echo, a Boss NS, a Boss overdrive, a Boss Auto-Wah (actually I want the SYB-5 synth pedal, so that's just a filler there) and a Boss chorus.

Patch/interconnect cables can be a challenge; I have a mix of ones I wired myself with "pancake" jacks (ie. as flat as possible), some Fender branded ones and some straight & dogleg jack-jack dual plugs.

Have you seen the layout app on the Pedaltrain website? It can be handy figuring out where things might fit.

I also want to put a patch panel on mine: 1 jack input & 2 jack outputs (as I split the signal to 2 amps); that way I won't be connecting outputs directly to pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Thanks for the tips, @prowla. At the moment I'm reusing guitar pedals to start it off (apart from the Ampeg DI of course) and may well replace others later.

Tempted by a synth pedal, and also by a decent compressor and EQ.

The Corona chorus is apparently good on bass - if not I may swap that out. I guess it's a case of suck it and see!

Looking forward to the challenge of patching this up.

Oh, and yes the voodoo power supply was very spendy, but I wanted to avoid issues with grounding and signal noise from a chain..
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited March 2017
    Try the ehx bass micro synth. I've just scored one and it's an incredible tool. Helps to have a comp before and delay after (ehx site mentions this) to smooth out the ragged edges.

The other essential bass pedal imo is the Dynamic Filter, it gives the attack more variation.

This is the current line up, works with guitar and bass, Dynamic Filter is first (out of shot) and a DD-7 last, set to hold function to build loops -

Thanks @JezWynd - the micro synth does look cool! Am thinking about a compressor anyway. Will have to have a look at the dynamic filter.. 

I'm gonna need a bigger board.....
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    Muffs can be meh... comp is a must, chorus optional 

Here's mine
    http://i.imgur.com/yFN2CT5.jpg

edited March 2017
    I do have built in comp on my EICH head, which is actually very good.

But I do want a good pedal comp for position in the signal chain.

Any suggestions for a good bass compressor (apart from the markbass compressors which is huge and very spendy!!) ?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited March 2017
    That ovnilab website has loads of reviews. I found a decent deal on a pale green and he rated the diamond, mxr and a handful of other small format pedals.
    That ovnilab website has loads of reviews. I found a decent deal on a pale green and he rated the diamond, mxr and a handful of other small format pedals.
    Thanks for that - will check it out.

I'm trying to keep it relatively simple, honest!
  • Nice.

Have you tried a Darkglass Vintage yet? They're phenomenal with a Precision for all sorts of sounds from light grit to roaring overdrive. 

Nice.

Have you tried a Darkglass Vintage yet? They're phenomenal with a Precision for all sorts of sounds from light grit to roaring overdrive. 

No, I've not. And I'd like to. 

In fact, I've got to be careful I don't just end up buying every decent drive or preamp out there. I'd like to try the Tonehammer pedal, the Mesa Subway pedal, a whole bunch of Darkglass and others.. 

I will acquire them a bit at a time so I can try out each one properly - otherwise I will just sit there going "oooh shiny things!"
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    B3K, MXR Envelope Filter, Digitech Bass Synth Wah.

Supersymmetry compressor, or the Empress.
  • I've got the Tone Hammer and it is excellent too. Can really do that old school warm and fat sound on the drive channel but it's not really a 2 channel preamp due to volume differences. It's also a great clean Pre on the other channel. Just a great pedal really though I'd happily have one of each mode in separate pedals if they ever did that

I want to try the Mesa DI too.
    I must admit the Tonehammer is a tempting next purchase. It's either that or a B3K. Oh, and a Compressor. 

Damn you, gods of pedal GAS!
    prowla said:
    I've got a Pedaltrain, but the Voodoo power supplies are bloddy expensive, so I've got a cheapie running off a wall-wart for the moment.

Mine's got a Roberts tuner, a SansAmp, an Aguilar octave divider, a Space Echo, a Boss NS, a Boss overdrive, a Boss Auto-Wah (actually I want the SYB-5 synth pedal, so that's just a filler there) and a Boss chorus.

Patch/interconnect cables can be a challenge; I have a mix of ones I wired myself with "pancake" jacks (ie. as flat as possible), some Fender branded ones and some straight & dogleg jack-jack dual plugs.

Have you seen the layout app on the Pedaltrain website? It can be handy figuring out where things might fit.

I also want to put a patch panel on mine: 1 jack input & 2 jack outputs (as I split the signal to 2 amps); that way I won't be connecting outputs directly to pedals.
    Slight change of plan - I've been out today and had a go on an SYB-5 pedal and it can't handle even vaguely fast playing. You can play a note and let it hang there, but as soon as you try and strike a rhythm it just plain doesn't work.

I figure it would work with bass pedals, where you just hit and hold a note, but then you'd probably have them MIDI connected to a synth anyway.
    The SYB pedals are shite.

Digitech BSW is far better, and tracks perfectly.
  • Good to know, already got the BSW but have been sticking the Boss ones on my eBay watch list for a while.
    I might try an Electro Harmonix one and see what they are like.
    What's the Dod FX25 like as a cheap envelope filter?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950

The SYB pedals are shite.

Digitech BSW is far better, and tracks perfectly.
    Agreed. I found a work-around with the SYB-3 was to run it in the loop of a LS-2 set to parallel blend, but it was a bit of a sticking-plaster solution that just disguised how badly the SYB tracked really…

I also had a Synth Wah - not even the bass one - which was miles better.

The original two-knob one is brilliant - it's not subtle, and it's rather touchy about the settings, but it's got a really great growl at the bottom end as it sweeps down. The later three-knob one should be better on paper since you can control the blend, but it just doesn't sound as good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Deffo go for the 2 knob. The3 is rubbish.

Or again, go for the BSW as it does a good standard Envelope filter too.