Boss Katana 100 epic GAS...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Haha I'm only 28, there's only so many times you can play Dakota or Summer of 69 before you lose the will to live. I'd actually like to do a 90s-00s cover band but don't think anything that different would go down too well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    usedtobe said:
    See, and this is quite depressing to admit, but I dont play live and I dont really have, ahem, friends... and my wife and kids aren't about ot learn.

So its me on my lonesome and it just feels like all the amp I'll need.  To be honest if I got in a band and started playing gigs I'd be so happy id happily hit my savings up for a whacking great valve amp.

Edit:  Could get myself the 50w from Amazon - has anyone tried the 50w and is it a good balance between home use and giggability?

Thanks
    Are you me?!?!!'
    Haha.. I don't really have friends either.. I know, hard to believe, isn't it..  =)
    Modern disease I think.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    TTBZ said:
    Haha I'm only 28, there's only so many times you can play Dakota or Summer of 69 before you lose the will to live. I'd actually like to do a 90s-00s cover band but don't think anything that different would go down too well.
    You can go quite niche
    I know what you mean, I spent a couple of years in a wedding band and it got really formulaic 
    Yiu can make even that interesting though. I introduced Mandolin, keyboards and blues harp into it and learned on the job as it were.
    Ive done a couple of tributes which are fun up to a point and currently playing in a 90s metal band
    i did the whole original material stint when I was in my twenties and it was hard to get gigs then. Nowadays it seems to be door money and multiband line ups
    So my Katana 50 is great, was playing through headphones of all things last night on the "Brown" setting and it has an amazing heavy tone.  The attentuator is brilliant as you can crank the master on the 0.5w setting and get a much better tone.

One negative, god is it sensitive to mains pollution.  Turn on my crappy living room light fitting and it picks up a horrific hum, anyone else suffered from this?
  • TTBZ said:
    lol, and sex on fire and sweet child  o mine, im 54 and im sure il be still playing them when im 74
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    TTBZ said:
    lol, and sex on fire and sweet child  o mine, im 54 and im sure il be still playing them when im 74
    Once again, I resemble that remark.

The thing with the "handful of disinterested onlookers" scenario is that it only takes one "packed out room full of happy punters leaping around like loons and singing along to everything" night to wipe the memories and give me a big enough buzz to get me through quite a few more...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    ...and I'm still thinking that a K100 with the proper remote footswitch might be a VERY handy thing to have around as an alternative to the "full monty" 100 watt head + 2x12 + large pedalboard rig for rehearsals, tight stages, fast-in and out, or short set gigs...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    edited March 2017
    Just FYI, I bought a Katana 100 and I think it is one of the best amp bargains on the market. I have two tube amps, but I love this amp! Great for low or high volume. At the moment I tend to use it for super quiet home use to test pedals etc.
    Just FYI, I bought a Katana 100 and I think it is one of the best amp bargains on the market. I have tow tube amps, but I love this amp! Great for low or high volume. At the moment I tend to use it for super quiet home use to test pedals etc.
    I love it through headphones, the pre-amp does a great impression of a driven valve amp, and the default booster pedals (models of a blues driver, an overdrive and distortion) are excellent.

I got the 50 for £169 and I can't think of anything on the market that compares.
  • KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    Morning All,

Well, TBH I am really interested in getting one of these... 50W or 100W...

It looks like its very versatile amp, can be run on lower power - which is good for bedroom practice and can be loud enough for small gigs/rehearsals!

However, is it really THAT good ??

Can I get the following sounds out of it (I use PRS SE with 2 x HBs):

1. Good clean sound;
    2. Nice warm bluesy tone;
    3. Heavier Marshall-ish sound a'la AC/DC...
    4. Heavier (bit more high-gain) sound a'la Iron Maiden... 
    5. Even heavier sound - i.e. for all dropped D or lower tunes to play some 'hard' stuff ???

I understand that the 'effects chain' (CH1/CH2 & CH3 & CH4) can be 'bespoke programmed' to my liking using Boss software and this can be then controlled via (optional) foot switch ???

Or am I missing something ?

Thanks,

Chris
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Honestly, for £250, just get the 100W 1x12 and you will be surprised at how good it is!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    It will do pretty much all of the above, especially with the built in boost/overdrive pedals. 

I'm thinking of selling my 100w combo if you're ever near Wales. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2018
    Kinioo said:

1. Good clean sound;
    5. Even heavier sound - i.e. for all dropped D or lower tunes to play some 'hard' stuff ???

I understand that the 'effects chain' (CH1/CH2 & CH3 & CH4) can be 'bespoke programmed' to my liking using Boss software and this can be then controlled via (optional) foot switch ???

Thanks,

Chris
    From experience it will do all 5...regards the last 3 on your list Boss aimed for an EL34 type Marshally sound on the gain stuff and succeeded IMO.  The things wants to push out pinch harmonics all day.  With recent v2 firmware update it'll even do EVH tone if you ever need it!

If you've got a TS type pedal to put out front even better (I use a Prince of Tone and it eats it up).  All the internal modulation stuff is fine but an external drive pedal just gives it that something extra and I really can barely tell it from a valve once it's dialed in.

I've barely looked at the software but that's where there's some real magic apparently.

Buy one....and the footswitch.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    I have a K50. And use a PRS S2 standard 24 a Vela and a ‘91 custom 24. 
    It can and does do everything you’ve listed. 
    I can go from ultra clean to Hendrix to full on chug 
  • Anyone used a Katana as an interface? If I just want to record guitar, would it be an acceptable substitute to a proper Digital Interface such as a Focusrite etc?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited January 2018
    beowulf said:
    Ha this is me exactly, keep umming and ahhing about gig-ability, but as you say if I ever was in that situation then a) it'd probably do fine for the first few, and b) if I got past the first few I'd be more than happy to buy something more suited.

And it's not depressing to admit, I'm 26 and have been playing on-off for 12 years and would consider myself not anywhere near to gigging. Just keep at it.
    I think we are more common that we both probably think.  I love playing guitar and I love guitar based music and as a community I think guitarists can be pretty accepting of the fact we are all in it for the love of it, regardless of raw talent.

That said, I was being ten-thumbed in a guitar shop (that can remain nameless, they are normally really good) the other week, trying some little valve amps which ultimately I didn't like,  and some of the staff were actually a bit funny.  They didn't mean anything by it but it does really hurt your confidence.

I'm 35 almost 36, to be honest I shouldn't care what anyone thinks who isn't my direct employer or my kids, but I guess I really care about guitar playing.

Back on-topic, thats kind of what I'm after in an amp, something that like some of my guitars just inspires me to plug in and make some tones, and the Katana just seems to be a good fit.
    1) Balls to the guitar shop staff.  They probably didn't mean to hurt your feelings, but I've been there and it does.  Don't let it.  By god I've heard some screeching and wailing in guitar shops, and I'm always just happy that folk are into the hobby and want to make a noise.  The next time you go in you'll wail an incredible lick and stop someone in their tracks.

2) So what if you don't play live?  I've been in a band these last five years solely because the woman I sat next to at work whittled away at me until I eventually capitulated and went for a rehearsal with her crew.  Now it's fun and I love it, I really do - but here's the thing: you'll never know where the offer will come from.  None of my friends play an instrument.

As re. the Katana, if you think you'll like it and you've got the dosh, why not?  For the first two years in the band I used a modeller, a POD X3 Live, which due to the ever-advancing technology in these things would I imagine sound poor next to a Katana.  I would've killed for a lightweight all-in-one box that good only five years ago.

Anyway, no use on the amp front but I'd hate to see you beat yourself up for 'only playing at home'.  It's what I did for the 20 years between being in my teenage band at school and being in the band I'm in now.

When you get to gigging, you'll realise it's just a load of standing around in an unfamiliar pub untangling cables and bickering over whose mic is feeding back anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Anyone used a Katana as an interface? If I just want to record guitar, would it be an acceptable substitute to a proper Digital Interface such as a Focusrite etc?

There's a Rob Chapman vid where he's going direct into his laptop via USB from his Katana 100w head...

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    randella said:

<snip>

When you get to gigging, you'll realise it's just a load of standing around in an unfamiliar pub untangling cables and bickering over whose mic is feeding back anyway.
    So true!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Kinioo said:
    Morning All,

Well, TBH I am really interested in getting one of these... 50W or 100W...

It looks like its very versatile amp, can be run on lower power - which is good for bedroom practice and can be loud enough for small gigs/rehearsals!

However, is it really THAT good ??

Can I get the following sounds out of it (I use PRS SE with 2 x HBs):

1. Good clean sound;

Thanks,

Chris

It will do all that stuff.

I'm very happy with mine.

The thing to keep in mind is that everyone is so excited about them because it's amazing that they are so good and giggable considering what they cost. An AxeFX or decent valve amp and nice pedals is going to sound better, but the magic of the Katana is you can gig one down the Dog and Duck get a decent sound without breaking your back, or needing a degree in computer science and if some pissed up punter dumps a pint on it you aren't going to go into a period of mourning.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited January 2018
    simonk said:
    randella said:

<snip>

So true!
    To expand on this theme a little.

I have a Mesa amp head, 1x12" cab, and a pedalboard.  To stop the aforementioned feedback (or at least my contribution) I've got a Red Box.  So - guitar to pedals, power to pedals, pedals to amp, amp effects send to pedals, pedals to amp effects return.  Amp to Red Box, Red Box to speaker cab.  Red Box to desk.

I could replace 90% of this rat's nest with something that weighs the same as my cab on its own, and would get me a good enough tone in the mix that I'd be happy and the punters (who generally don't give a rat's arse anyway as long as they can recognise the intro to Money For Nothing and have a beer and a dance) wouldn't even notice.

For £163.

Whether you play at home with a view to getting in a band, or you're already in a band, I reckon that's an enticing prospect and I can see why they can't shift these things fast enough.