Incoming - Bass Pedal Board

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    What's the Dod FX25 like as a cheap envelope filter?
    Deffo go for the 2 knob. The3 is rubbish.

Or again, go for the BSW as it does a good standard Envelope filter too.
    Been watching some vids - I like the BSW. Sounds good...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BSW also does a decent octave
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    The SYB pedals are shite.

Digitech BSW is far better, and tracks perfectly.
    Yep, i found the syb5 pretty much unusable further than the 'mucking about in the bedroom' stage.

@bridgehouse Don't rule out a zoom ms60b. For one boss sized pedal you you could easily pop it at the front of your line and use it for your compressor, tuner and synth. The synth on it is quite basic but it tracks brilliantly.  I don't use alot of compression but according to takbass, the comps are very good too. 
    funkyfraz said:
    The SYB pedals are shite.

Digitech BSW is far better, and tracks perfectly.
    Yep, i found the syb5 pretty much unusable further than the 'mucking about in the bedroom' stage.

@bridgehouse Don't rule out a zoom ms60b. For one boss sized pedal you you could easily pop it at the front of your line and use it for your compressor, tuner and synth. The synth on it is quite basic but it tracks brilliantly.  I don't use alot of compression but according to takbass, the comps are very good too. 
    Good call - I'll have a look at that.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited March 2017
    What's the Dod FX25 like as a cheap envelope filter?
    The sound it creates is excellent (don't believe the stuff about orig dark green ver being superior) but you do have to 'play the pedal' and it is something of a one trick pony. I recently moved mine on after getting the Mooer @ Wah which is digital and combines a couple of flavours of envelope filter as well as being an auto wah.
    Well, first lot of bits are here - will post piccies a bit later.. there's quite a bit of stuff tho!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    If you're dipping a first toe into bass fx, I'd go with the ehx bass micro synth first - it's a fantastic fuzz and distortion pedal as well as having envelope shaping, attack control etc.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited March 2017
    Goes without saying you also need to try an octave pedal at some point.

So far my favourite is the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe but I really want to try a Cog.

Check their site out - http://www.cogeffects.co.uk/stock-pedals.php 

They do custom finishes and custom pedals as well http://www.cogeffects.co.uk/custom.php
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've got an Aguilar octave pedal; the main thing which made it stand out was that it kept the character of the original note.
    It sometimes doesn't track though, especially with very trebley sound and a bit of fret rattle.
    edited March 2017
    Pedalboard is coming along now:

Signal chain so far:

Smooth hound receiver => polytune => Boss LS-2 (Which I'm using in A+B Mix and the 'Mix' is the Bad Monkey) => Ampeg SCR-DI 

Separate FX Loop Chain:

Corona Chorus => The Prophet => Skysurfer

My thoughts so far:

- I like the Pedaltrain board
    - I like the Voodoo Pedal Power
    - The LS-2 is very flexible, and I like the idea of mixing dry and FX sounds for bass
    - Bad Monkey is interesting - if you dime the Low + High, add a tiny bit of gain and set the level, you get an interesting, bright boost (when mixed 50/50 with dry)
    - The Ampeg SCR-DI is really really good. The Ampeg sound of the preamp is spot on. Better than the PF500 when I tried that.
    - The Scrambler is usable with low drive - nice crunch. Gets messy when dimed.
    - Corona is a pretty good bass chorus
    - Prophet + Skysurfer are fine for the limited delay and reverb I will use on bass

For the gaps, I have space inbetween the LS-2 and the SCR-DI for a Compressor, and a B3K

In the LS-2 loop, I will probably keep Bad Monkey, and add in an envelope filter/bass synth - I like the idea of mixing this with dry to keep the low end.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Also, tried the nano muff - made a really horrific hissing and scratchy noise and not much fuzz at all. Most disappointed. 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Also, tried the nano muff - made a really horrific hissing and scratchy noise and not much fuzz at all. Most disappointed. 
    Yeah, common misconception - it's an original muff overdrive and nothing like a fuzzy muff whatsoever. The double muff gives you two on the same box for an extra fiver or so (you can switch back to one), I like it as a drive for guitar but I imagine it'd sound dreadful with bass, with anything active going into it, and with a solid state amp.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I had a Tech 21 XXL bass pedal that sounded good, but I actually dig the Boss DS1 (as used on Kasabian's Club Foot bass riff) and the Boss Metal Zone as bass distortion - keep the gain low and make the most of the ridiculous EQ shaping on the MZ.
    @MattBanshee - thanks for the suggestions. I'm wavering on the b3k or Tonehammer for vintage drive, but for all out I'll have a look at the DS1 - never thought of metalzone - lol!
    Oh - and the Ampeg SCR-DI does a really really good impression of an Ampeg SVT head... I'm really impressed with it.
  • There's pretty much no tonal overlap between the B3K and Tone Hammer.  Even if you could use them both for making a grittier sound the B3K is a lot more aggressive in both EQ and amount of distortion available.

Am I right in thinking you use flats?  If so I can't really do any useful clips as I use steel strings.
    There's pretty much no tonal overlap between the B3K and Tone Hammer.  Even if you could use them both for making a grittier sound the B3K is a lot more aggressive in both EQ and amount of distortion available.

Am I right in thinking you use flats?  If so I can't really do any useful clips as I use steel strings.
    Yeah, using TI flats. Sounds like either might do the job. 
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    MattBanshee said:ì
    I had a Tech 21 XXL bass pedal that sounded good, but I actually dig the Boss DS1 (as used on Kasabian's Club Foot bass riff) and the Boss Metal Zone as bass distortion - keep the gain low and make the most of the ridiculous EQ shaping on the MZ.
    You got a decent bass to be from a metal zone? Haha!! That's some going!  
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Well, despite dissing them, somewhere, I added a Boss SYB-5 to my Pedaltrain Classic Jr, so now (along with a Tentacles power supply) it's done.

Unfortunately, however, I went for a stroll around some shops and came home with a Pedaltrain 3 board, which is much bigger...