A 2015 mod a Harley Benton guitar challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• Just wondering in case I've missed something: When does voting start/challenge end? Will we be informed of it? This is my first modding challenge here on the FB and I'm new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AmnesiacAmnesiac Frets: 1
    edited October 2015
    So, because of this site I decided to try out one of the Honeyburst Les Pauls that had all the good reviews and damn! For the price I couldn't complain at all! It's not without its faults, I ended up replacing the hardware and wiring, still waiting on the pickups but that's only because they didn't sound right to my ears for what I play. The weight of it is great, not as heavy as you'd expect and after playing thin profile necks I'm actually really enjoying having a bit of a fatter neck on something. I play it a lot more than I thought I would and for that, thanks for putting me on to them! It's not the greatest guitar but I love it!

New Kulson tuners, Gibson Tune-o-matic Bridge (took a bit to fit in the end), wiring, fitted with D'addario 12-60s and soon to have some new Fastback Old Imperials! 

http://fastbackguitars.com/old-imperial.html For those who haven't heard of the pickups, they're cool! I have them in my other Les Paul, exactly what I was looking for when I bought them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Hertz32 said:
    Hertz32 said:
    ToneControl;491139" said:
    Hertz32 said:

I played the HB 7 string bass in Camden guitars a while back. I tried to quiz him on where they got it from, seeing as its a Thomann only brand. He was quite tight lipped about it, so I think they bought it at retail and added about £100 to the price!

If I'm hinest, I came across as being priced alright, had I not known about Thomann.

hmmI wonder: If I put guitar strings in the top 3 or 4 courses, I could make a very wide range instrument, and active EQ looks good for that
    Maybe... The ball ends on Guitar strings are far snaller than Bass ones. You can get bass strings that thin though. Let me know if you qre serious about doing itband I can point you in the direction of places that do it.
    They are BEADGBE stock, I'm tempted to go F#BEADGB with one. P
    ta

actually now I think about it, 35 inches would be long for a guitar string
    I can get them to fit 30 inch instruments, but 35 would probably be very long

the HB has these fitted: 17-25-40-60-80-100-130
    so 17 is the E an octave below a guitar top E

at that same tension,

with a 12, you get A (220Hz)

9 gets you to D or E

Can you get bass strings as thin as that?

Mate, You can get .070 to .008 bass string sets :) You have to order from the US at $31 a pack + shipping + import BUT they are nice as all hell and will last ages as long as you get the right ones. 
    In a month or two's time I'll be putting an order in for a bunch of 8 string sets for my Agile, and @Is_Ser_Fluffehh 's Schecter. If you fancy them, let me know and I'll order it all together and save a bit on import and shipping. I'll post them on to you when I get them, If you want them that is :)

Here's the page with all their 7 string bass sets. They do Balanced, Traditional, Drop tuned and Fifths sets of strings. Use the little drop down menu thing at the bottom left and it'll see you right. 
     http://circlekstrings.com/store/7-strings.html
    @hertz32

I have found a UK source, who hand-winds strings, and can do custom orders:
    he will do down to the thin gauges

http://www.newtonestrings.com/

• JudasVigilanteJudasVigilante Frets: 74
    edited July 2016
    @ToneControl and @Hertz32 Wow a 7 string bass, I remember a few years back gasping when I heard about the custom bass Les Claypool had made for him. 7 strings on a bass sounds mental though maybe I have led a sheltered life. I'm a guitarist with medium length fingers so 6 strings on gtr and 4 on bass are my limit. I looked up the HB bass and it looks beautiful. Probably very good value for money at that money (currently £314) Reviews seem really good too. Wish you all the best with your 7 string exploits, you players with octopus fingers! All the best.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    @JudasVigilante Mine went back to Thomann unfortunately, bought it B stock and it came with an enormous finish blemish on the front that I wasnt prepared to live with. In terms of playability however I found it surprisingly usable. My hands are usually a small or a medium in gloves, but I have kinda small palms. I think it's less about the way your hands are and more about how you play. I found that I became a lot more mobile on the neck, and you start to move your thumb vertically as well as horizontally (yeah, the neck really was that wide) It was a great sounding and playing bass, just gonna habe to wait until the pound recovers to buy one I suspect as they've jumped in price by about £35!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    @ToneControl and @Hertz32 Wow a 7 string bass, I remember a few years back gasping when I heard about the custom bass Les Claypool had made for him. 7 strings on a bass sounds mental though maybe I have led a sheltered life. I'm a guitarist with medium length fingers so 6 strings on gtr and 4 on bass are my limit. I looked up the HB bass and it looks beautiful. Probably very good value for money at that money (currently £314) Reviews seem really good too. Wish you all the best with your 7 string exploits, you players with octopus fingers! All the best.
    I still have mine
    no faults

I want to get some more strings soon, and increase the pitch of the upper 3 strings, to make it an ERG
  • @Hertz32  and @ToneControl cheers guys, happy bass playing. Shame you had to send it back. As you say, when the pound recovers get another grade A one. It's prob a lot of bass for 300 squid. What put me off more than 6 strings on guitar and 4 on bass was a long time ago a friend of mine let me play an ESP prototype 7 string made for George Lynch, he was told to get rid of it by the company because of contractual complications. It was worth $13,000 I remember it had twin HB that slid on rails in a hollowed chamber automatically according to picking strumming style. Hi tech yeah, but my point was it played horribly. I didn't like it at all. I'd rather my £500 Tokai SG any day or any other of my 25 sub £500 guitars and basses. All the best guys.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    @Hertz32  and @ToneControl cheers guys, happy bass playing. Shame you had to send it back. As you say, when the pound recovers get another grade A one. It's prob a lot of bass for 300 squid. What put me off more than 6 strings on guitar and 4 on bass was a long time ago a friend of mine let me play an ESP prototype 7 string made for George Lynch, he was told to get rid of it by the company because of contractual complications. It was worth $13,000 I remember it had twin HB that slid on rails in a hollowed chamber automatically according to picking strumming style. Hi tech yeah, but my point was it played horribly. I didn't like it at all. I'd rather my £500 Tokai SG any day or any other of my 25 sub £500 guitars and basses. All the best guys.
    Bloody hell, sounds horrible!! 
    Dunno where you are but find a Guitarguitar or somewhere that stocks Extended range instruments near you and try a couple modern ones. I'd imagine they're far more refined than what you tried! 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    edited February 2017

First one (behind) was a HB tele kit with a biscuit cone, second one was a B-stock tele with a spider cone. The second was more difficult to make because of space, but the first, the biscuit, has got a lot more volume. I'm really chuffed with the results & enjoy their size, weight & neck much more than trad resos. I'm using Elixir 10-52 elec strings. I've already gigged them both a couple of times, and last night was complemented on its "swampy blues" sound! I didnt upgrade anything, they are just stock parts, pure and simple and cheap, ....why spend more??

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    edited February 2017
    Sorry , ended up with this twice!!...

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    Still working on mine, should have some progress to show next week...!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1198
    Ever the perfectionist!

You win this fine, light-relic leather jacket. 

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ...and 6 weeks later, this is what I spent this afternoon doing.

These sections are straight off the CNC machine so need work before gluing up. I'm going to radius the edges and I still have some routs that I'll do by hand. The control cavity and ledge were done on the machine but I still have the switch and wiring channels to cut.

The firebird on the pickguard is laser etched and I'm wondering if I should just flood the etch (which is quite shallow) with gold paint or maybe I can use gold leaf? I've still got to bevel the curved edge of the guard of course which I'll do on the table router.

I admit there's not much of the Harley Benton being used, just the neck but for £34 of Thomann vouchers it was a B-Stock bargain.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I've replaced the dull dots with some nice celluloid ones, and the nasty plastic nut with bone.

I've refretted in gold Jescar EVO wire, aiming for maximum bling here.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I've made a bit more progress today. 

I've finished the hand routs for the wiring channel, and drilled for the bridge, string though, ferrules counter-bore and a barrel type jack.

I've also added a 1/4" roundover and a small belly carve. All ready to glue up now. I'm using the offcuts as cauls for the sash clamps.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16542
    That looks awesome
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    That looks awesome
    Thanks @WezV ;, I've been through the thread but can't see how your HB Shorty turned out - was it a success?
    tFB Trader
    Ah yes i remember now, nice job!
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    I have strung the guitar to check the geometry so now its ready for paint. Grain filling first:

I've carved the reverse headstock a bit using a binding router.