Hammond Sounds.

What's Hot

Howdy - Can anyone recommend a good analogue Keyboard that can produce good Hammond B3 / C3 Sounds ....also, good piano....acoustic/ Wurlitzer /Fender Rhodes etc ?

I would like to keep it below £500 if that's possible ???

I really don't want to go down the Midi route....

Many Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I think you may have to go midi I'm afraid, finding something that's reliable and stays in tune these days s hard 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Agreed. Crossing MIDI off the list really limits your choices, and I can't think of any analogue keyboard that covers organs, pianos, EPs very well.

I think you're looking at a ROMpler of some kind - Kurzweil, perhaps? Or maybe try the very clever Reface YC/CP (not ROMplers, but not analogue); they look like toys but aren't.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    What do you mean by analogue? I have this for sale which I'd say you'd be hard pushed to beat for hammond under £500:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/99887/roland-vr-09-drawbar-piano-etc-350
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    My mistake....digital keyboard is ok, just not a midi keyboard as apart from studio it will also be occasionally used for live gigs.....
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    Horse. I have sent you a PM
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Horse. I have sent you a PM
    Cool
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Nord Electro 3 will get you VERY close but you'd need to up your budget a bit if you can find one second hand.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    Buy that VR-09. It's a) a cracking deal; b) the closest you'll get to a hammond without using a VSTi or spending twice as much; and c) a generally all round pretty decent keyboard.
    Not the best action (although actually not bad for light-to-moderate hammond work) - but nice sounding, and a good interface on it - easy to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

miserneil said:
    Nord Electro 3 will get you VERY close but you'd need to up your budget a bit if you can find one second hand.

+1

You could probably get a 2 for around £500, not sure how they compare but I liked the one I had. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Some of the less fashionable Hammond products can be found within budget. If you can live without the Percussion effect, the L-series Spinets might suffice. Sellers do not always know what they've got.

Sound On Sound contributor, Gordon Reid, once programmed and marketed a set of patches for the Roland JX-10 Super JX synthesizer. Amongst these lurked one Hammond organ patch that managed to create the illusion of Leslie cabinet style movement around the stereo image. The sound set was named GR-101. 

Realistic acoustic piano sounds are not the realm of analogue subtractive synthesis. There is no end of "ROMpler" digital keyboard instruments available secondhand. The ones with ROM expansion card or board capabilities can be tailored to your personal tastes.

For the requested sounds, at "under £500", my money would go on Spectrasonics Keyscape.
    Be seeing you.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972

For the requested sounds, at "under £500", my money would go on Spectrasonics Keyscape.
    Watched some of the Namm videos on Keyscape, looks superb.