'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    Hey Ash, did you ever prototype a rail humbucker?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Elwood said:
    Like this?

http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/havoc.html
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:
    I also make SC sized rail humbuckers to special order.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

edited April 2017
    Thanks @TheGuitarWeasel ; - your right I was referring to the single coil sized ones. 

Do you have a standard spec (output, magnets & wiring type) for SC rails or are there options?
  • algroves1algroves1 Frets: 17
    Hey Ash,

I'm looking for a pair of humbuckers for a Les Paul Std, to replace Burstbucker Pro's.  Generally find the BB Pro's to be a bit muddy, not very dynamic and not particularly musical.

Which of your pickups would you recommend I look at?  I've never played anything else resembling a PAF (that I'm aware of) so not sure what I should be looking at, but generally just want a really musical sounding Les Paul, that cleans up well and has plenty of touch sensitivity and harmonics.  Generally into Billy Gibbons, Derek Trucks, Bonamassa type sounds. 

Cheers!

Al
    tFB Trader
    algroves1 said:
    Hey Ash,

I'm looking for a pair of humbuckers for a Les Paul Std, to replace Burstbucker Pro's.  Generally find the BB Pro's to be a bit muddy, not very dynamic and not particularly musical.

Which of your pickups would you recommend I look at?  I've never played anything else resembling a PAF (that I'm aware of) so not sure what I should be looking at, but generally just want a really musical sounding Les Paul, that cleans up well and has plenty of touch sensitivity and harmonics.  Generally into Billy Gibbons, Derek Trucks, Bonamassa type sounds. 

Cheers!

Al

I would probably go for either my Forces Sweetheart from my 'Standard' range or the Bean-O from my Masterwound range. Both are alnico 4 so are a little brighter but still with plenty of 'sing' in the mids.
    If you want more mid 'push' then go alnico 2 (at the slight expense of bass 'snap') ... my Blitz Spirits or Masterwound Tubesnakes.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Just wanted to thank Ash for the set of 2x Nightfighter alnico 2 customs + StoneTone that he suggested for my Vigier Excalibur : it's instantly gone from a guitar that I was begrudgingly keeping for sentimental value as I didn't like the sound, to being my favourite one by some margin. Amazing pickups with just the right balance of vintage tone and modern precision.
    Delivery was also incredibly quick and the price very reasonable.
    I know where I'll be buying all my pickups from in the future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    lysander said:
    Just wanted to thank Ash for the set of 2x Nightfighter alnico 2 customs + StoneTone that he suggested for my Vigier Excalibur : it's instantly gone from a guitar that I was begrudgingly keeping for sentimental value as I didn't like the sound, to being my favourite one by some margin. Amazing pickups with just the right balance of vintage tone and modern precision.
    Delivery was also incredibly quick and the price very reasonable.
    I know where I'll be buying all my pickups from in the future.
    Thank you fellah, complete pleasure doing business with you. Big soft spot for Vigiers me :-)
    The Nightfighter Alnico 2 Customs have taken off in a big way in the very short time I've been making them ... seems they mix old and new in a good way to lots of folks ears.
    I'm not releasing a lot of new designs at the moment, though I have quite a few in the production queue, but I saw a gap in the market and popped the NFA2C in to see what happened ...
    Enjoy :-) 

• ive just got a pair of winteriser 2s for my heatley - cant wait to hear them! thanx ash
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited April 2017
    Installed a pair of Forces Sweetheart (unpotted) in my SG over the weekend. Insanely clear and touch-sensitive, great definition, clean up real well with volume pot changes as well.

The neck pickup blew me away - that was the main reason why I wanted to replace the 57 Classics as the neck one felt a bit lifeless. The Forces Sweetheart just nails that lovely flute-like articulation when playing past the 15th fret on the SG, just delicious.

To be honest I was a bit surprised by the bridge: to my ears it's really clear and cutting, perhaps lacking a bit of oomph in the SG for fat blues rock but conversely making it fabulous for classic hard-rock/hair metal tones. Didn't see that coming!

All in all very pleased. Quality, price, service - all great. Thanks Ash!
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I had the Forces Sweethearts and loved them. Foolishly ordered them in black when really I wanted gold so sold them. Replaced them with some gold nightfighters and they're great too.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Ash, can the BrassKnuckle be direct mounted to the body, and if so does it require a special routing template ?
    And what does it sound like in neck position ?  I have a "super-tele" project, and I'm pretty much set on the brass knuckle for the bridge but not sure about the neck pickup yet.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    lysander said:
    Ash, can the BrassKnuckle be direct mounted to the body, and if so does it require a special routing template ?
    And what does it sound like in neck position ?  I have a "super-tele" project, and I'm pretty much set on the brass knuckle for the bridge but not sure about the neck pickup yet.
    Winterizer in the neck. 

Broadly speaking, what is the effect of putting a cover on a Humbucker?
    Elwood said:
    Anyone know?
    Thanks
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:
    Elwood said:
    Anyone know?
    Thanks
    A little bit less treble. Or a lot if it's brass.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    Makes it shinier too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    Elwood said:
    Elwood said:
    Anyone know?
    Thanks
    A little bit less treble. Or a lot if it's brass.
    absolutely spot on ... sorry I've not been commenting ... been away at my daughter's wedding :-)

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
     absolutely spot on ... sorry I've not been commenting ... been away at my daughter's wedding :-)
    Congratulations Ash for your daughters big day.  
    tFB Trader
    Congratulations Ash for your daughters big day.  
    It's been a manic time ... my son was married just over two weeks ago, and my daughter on Saturday ... both on the Isle of Wight where I come from originally. Two trips of 130 miles plus the dead boring ferry trips ... and on Saturday the festival fraffic to contend with. 
    Glad to get back and get on with my job lol.