Yamaha BB1100s pickup selector switch

Hi I don't know if anyone can help with this. I have a 1985 Yamaha BB1100s and the pick up switch has failed and I am stuck with just the neck pick up. The wiring is ok and I have tried switch cleaner to no avail so I am now in the position of trying to find a new switch.
This appears to be a little larger than normal and I cant find a replacement anywhere online. Does anyone know where I can obtain one. Any advice greatly received.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Photos of the innards and a measuring the top thread inside the nut would help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited April 2017
    From pics online it looks exactly like a standard 3-way toggle switch. It will be a short frame one since a full-height Switchcraft type won't fit in that body thickness.

Like this:

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/toggle-switch-short-straight

Although the price appears to have gone bonkers recently!

It's usually possible to clean and re-tension the original switch though, even if simply spraying some cleaner on it didn't work. You did put the cleaner on from inside the control cavity? Squirting it down from the top rarely works.

Or is it one of the box-construction switches? Those can be trickier and need taking apart.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It is a long box construction one. I will take it out and get a pic of it when I'm home later Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    It is a long box construction one. I will take it out and get a pic of it when I'm home later Thanks
    Allparts do those too I think, but if you're good with tools you can fix them. You need to open up the box - four small bent tabs on the casing - then you can have a look at the contacts.

You'll probably find one contact is not closing properly, in which case you need to bend the strip slightly so it does. If that's not the cause, they often get corroded between the contact spring strip and the rivet that goes through to the solder terminal - to fix that, you can solder the other end of the rivet to the strip as well. If you do both these things they're actually quite reliable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    edited May 2017
    Photos of the innards and a measuring the top thread inside the nut would help.
    This.

Keep some record of the stock wiring circuitry before you dismantle any of it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.